How to refill the Rack & Pinion assembly without removing it from the car

canomkr

Bronze forum user
Has anybody heard of a workaround for refilling the rack and pinion assembly without completely removing it from the car.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
When I first used the syringe method 30+ years ago I hadn't heard of anybody else using it. I figured the best approach would be to stick the needle in the top of one of the bellows (the more accodian'd section) where movement would be the least. Topped it off with a dab of butyl rubber or silicone (don't remember) and it has held for 3 decades.

canomkr

Bronze forum user
Thanks so much for the guidance. The syringe you used was a medical syringe or is there some kind of other syringe used for this mechanical purpose.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks so much for the guidance. The syringe you used was a medical syringe or is there some kind of other syringe used for this mechanical purpose.
It was not medical. I don't remember where I got it, but the needle was as big as I could find at the time. It was still slow going...

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Pet products have capacity feeding and other application syringes which can be topped off with pointed toy inflator.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
well, I suppose you could also put a zerk fitting on the RH plate on the rack... That way you could inject ivermectin from your local vet to make sure the rack doesn't get worms, or covid....

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
BTW, Quiz time.

who knows what happens if you over fill the Rack with oil?

DW

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
BTW, Quiz time.

who knows what happens if you over fill the Rack with oil?

DW
Pressure build up splits the rubber gaiters ? Or too much will go up the steering shaft and squirt oil on the nut behind the steering wheel !!

Last edited:

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
obviously, it'll leak... just like everything else on a British car.... I tell people don't worry it's a factory self-healing undercoat feature

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Ages ago, I wondered how Rootes determined how full to fill the Steering Rack.

And, of course, I figured if Some is Good MORE is better.

....but I found out, It's Not.

After over filling the rack, I ran it through it's full travel.

I quickly found the problem.

With too much oil in the rack, the air cannot move freely inside the rack housing.

When you moved the rack all the way to one end, the bellows would collapse

because the air could not get into it.

And then moving the rack Back the other way would tend to Pinch the bellows

and cause it to, You guessed it,..... LEAK.

And, of course, adding oil to a Rack is iffy,

IF you don't know how much is still in the Rack housing.

YMMV

DW

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
As far as I recollect there is 12 ounces in the rack. Since I had the front cross member out it was an easy job I replaced the non leaking rubber gators after tipping the rack and cycling through full motion and draining all the old fluid out then refilled through the bolt on plates that puts tension on the rack.
It’s best to do it properly since this is not an off the shelf rack at the local Napa store

Agent 861

Silver forum user
CAT Member
well, I suppose you could also put a zerk fitting on the RH plate on the rack... That way you could inject ivermectin from your local vet to make sure the rack doesn't get worms, or covid....
As a medical man I can tell you that Ivermectin is great for worms and scabies and can be used in humans for both conditions . It will also inhibit some viruses but unfortunately in doses that are toxic to humans so don't use in COVID -Karl

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
As a medical man I can tell you that Ivermectin is great for worms and scabies and can be used in humans for both conditions . It will also inhibit some viruses but unfortunately in doses that are toxic to humans so don't use in COVID -Karl
It was a joke, Karl!!! Kind of like using an aquarium cleaner to treat covid... In the town I live in (you can smell the ignorance in the air) you couldn't get tonic water for months because people thought it would prevent covid... I told them they'd be better of just drinking their gin straight, or bathing in it... I'm surprised more people didn't inject bleach, or jamb lightbulbs up their a**...

Pretty certain that the species is devolving....

Agent 861

Silver forum user
CAT Member
It was a joke, Karl!!! Kind of like using an aquarium cleaner to treat covid... In the town I live in (you can smell the ignorance in the air) you couldn't get tonic water for months because people thought it would prevent covid... I told them they'd be better of just drinking their gin straight, or bathing in it... I'm surprised more people didn't inject bleach, or jamb lightbulbs up their a**...

Pretty certain that the species is devolving....
Yep -you only have to view a few you tube clips to be seriously concerned regards the future of our species