I'm not sure I can afford this hobby !!!

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If it comes with a spare set of NOS wheel arch trims, sill trims, non packed headlight rims and grill surround.. sure

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
geez I have a brand new repro... (well it's probably 10 years old) It looks just as nice as the one on ebay... I have it sitting on a shelf... I paid $1200

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sold my originals years ago to benefit a restoration, for what was then a high price. Shoulda held on I guess. Still have a decent repro if someone has a need.

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Maybe we should stop calling it a hobby and call it a "Life Style"? Seems more inclined with pricing these days...

Agent 861

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I saw an NOS grill for series 1 thru 3 Alpines sell on E Bay for $5000.00. That was back in 2011. It's all about what folks can and will do.
Agreed. Some folks can and do a checkbook restoration. However even with my limited fabrication skills you could probably make one for a quarter of the asking price. But each to their own!

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Agreed. Some folks can and do a checkbook restoration. However even with my limited fabrication skills you could probably make one for a quarter of the asking price. But each to their own!
I totally agree that someone with the right tools could easily fabricate the grill. All they would need is an original. Is there someone still reproducing the MK 2 grill ? The grill in this car is a reproduction of the one created originally by Harrington when they were converting Alpines to build the LeMans. It is similar to the MK 2 but was made in the early 60's. It's been so many years since they were reproduced I don't remember who reproduced these. There are several of these here in the states and in the U.K. and other areas. Doug at Tiger Auto as well as my wife thought it should set back in the grill opening of her car instead of slightly sticking out past the eye brow moulding as it did when Harrington installed it in a car.. Li Brandi's in Pennsylvania did mods to set it back in the opening as well as polishing it and they said it would be an easy job for them to reproduce the parts. Doug made a lower grill finisher. This grill is 13 pieces that slide together. It could be tack welded together but since the pieces fit together tightly there isn't a need. The grill was with the car when the wife bought the car from Altalla in California.

110_0731.JPG