Is the side window glass tempered?

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Fitting my hardtop, the back edge of my passenger window is a very tight fit in the notch in the base of the top. I'm happy with the quarter window alignment with the windshield and pretty much everything else. The driver side gap is about 5/32" which looks right to me. I think the best way to remedy this would be to have about 1/8" trimmed off of the back of the window glass. I called a local glass shop and they say they can do that if the glass is laminated but not if it's tempered. I'm thinking the 1965 glass is tempered. Any insight?

Last edited:

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I slammed my driver's side door too hard in '72 and had little pieces of glass everywhere- it shattered like tempered glass- no shards...

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks. That's what I figured. I have original glass that's in good shape so I'd like to keep it. I'll look again to see if there are adjustments that can be made without screwing other things up.

I'm also thinking the reason for the interference might be the hardtop. I bought it without knowing any real history but it is absolutely rust free and had been painted but hadn't had any of the trim installed. It could have had repair sections welded in and perhaps off by a little bit. Overall, it does fit well.

Last edited:

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The door windows are tempered, The windshield is laminated. Our local glass shop has cut side windows for two of my restorations. They cut them out of regular glass and ship off to LOF in Columbus to be tempered. They have the proper etching in the lower rear corner to show they meet specs and satisfy insurance companies. This might be a way for you to get a glass to fit if this service is available in your area. The only drawback could be that the glass may not fit your soft top frame correctly if you make one that fits your hard top.. You may have to adjust the windshield or door glass.