LAT 79 bonnet hold downs

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Does anyone have a source for the bonnet hold downs which looks original for the rear corners of a LAT 79 fiberglass hood?
It lifts above 50 mph.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Does anyone have a source for the bonnet hold downs which looks original for the rear corners of a LAT 79 fiberglass hood?
It lifts above 50 mph.
I think it is designed that way to let the heat out ?

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It lifts above 50 mph.
There were no hold downs for LAT bonnets, other than aftermarket for cars in general. My LAT 79 hood does not lift up in the corners at speed. (I don't want to specify at what maximum speed, as John Law may be watching.) Maybe there are adjustments needed on the bonnet latch?

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The LAT options brochure shows the hood pins and states the LAT 79 comes with two specially designed hold downs. I can post the brochure tomorrow if needed.
My fiberglass hood came from Jeff Howarth in England.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
You are correct - the LAT brochure does show "two specially designed 'hold down' clamps". I do not recall ever seeing them on an LAT hood. The resolution of the scan of the brochure I refer to is not high enough for me to tell if they are pin type or if they use some other connection method. At first I thought the location was where the hood bumpers are located, so the threaded fitting could be used for the "pin" (or whatever it is that is attached to the body). But that would put the hole for the hood part of the clamp too close to the corner and could cause cracking. So the clamp is located further towards the center and further away from the windshield, to where a hole in the fiberglass should not result in a crack running to the edge. But that begs the question - how was the part which is attached to the body actually connected to the body? Did the dealer installing the hood have to drill and tap somewhere into the body? Maybe many of the dealers did not bother installing the clamps. But if the bonnet clamps came attached to the hood or if there were holes in the hood for the clamps, then the dealers would have had to install all of the hardware.