Lat Hood Skin

Jon B

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I have never experienced this problem with my LAT hood. The hood "exhausts" are at the rear corners. The intake for the vents are centered just in front of the windshield. I guess if the wind is blowing just right and the car is sitting still, hot air coming from the hood outlets could get to the intake for the vents. But I do not know what would cause the hot air to be sucked into the vents, only into the heater/defroster blower. At speed, the air in front of the windshield is moving a lot slower than the air at the corners of the hood. Slower air is higher in pressure than faster air. (That is how an airplane wing's shape provides lift to the wings.). So when the car is moving, I cannot fathom how air coming out of the hood outlets would be pulled towards the middle of the windshield's base. Maybe I am missing something, though.
Thank you, David! I don't know when the hood was designed vs. when the vents were made functional, but it seems like the extractors are aimed the way they are for a reason.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thank you, David! I don't know when the hood was designed vs. when the vents were made functional, but it seems like the extractors are aimed the way they are for a reason.
The LAT hood preceeds the addition of the fresh air vents by several years.

The naca style extraction vents would be aimed outward to help the vaccum effect that the pressure at the side of the car gives.

The pressue zone directly infront of the screen would reduce their ability to extract if they wwrw further inboard

Warren

Gold forum user
Tell tales .
We used to use faulty lengths of cassette tapes held on with tape. Be sure to use the light green stuff as other's can be a bear to remove if they age or get wet.
You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows.
Or a sailor I would add.
Keep up the good work the leaking air through the firewall is a blessing on cold days and curse the other...