Mark I Window crank chrome handles question

Steven43

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I am about to install chrome handles for the roll-up windows for my 1965 mark I Tiger SS# 1358. I was told the early cars used longer handles. Is this correct and did these handles come on any Alpine models ? ( A or B )
Steven A.

DSCN9359.JPG

DSCN9361.JPG

Warren

Gold forum user
Yes, the early cars used longer handles. As I recall it coincides with the regulator change.

Warren

Gold forum user
the chrome collars where different also

Always interesting . Mine are all in a pile how about adding a picture.
I recall the fibrous set off for the handle was obviously thicker too. But seemed to be a good choice cost wise aside of the ability to absorb water.

Steven43

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Looked at my Book of Norman-page 51--so yes there are two sizes. The longer is for the Mark 1s. Check with Rick at S.S. and the handle can be found on Series IV Alpines (maybe SIII)
Steven

Jbetz812

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Was there any correlation with GT interior or just production date?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Was there any correlation with GT interior or just production date?
I think the change in handle came with the change in window crank location.

The round door cars and series 3/IV alpine had the crank lower in the door where you could smack your hand into the handbrake lever.

The square corner cars ( cross body) moved the handle higher up the door. For a tiger this would correlate with the GT interior upgrade... But the same handles were used in normal square door alpines too.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I think the change in handle came with the change in window crank location.

The round door cars and series 3/IV alpine had the crank lower in the door where you could smack your hand into the handbrake lever.

The square corner cars ( cross body) moved the handle higher up the door. For a tiger this would correlate with the GT interior upgrade... But the same handles were used in normal square door alpines too.
The Rootes parts manual for Alpines shows that the window crank handle for Alpines changed with B395000001. This was the first series 5 Alpine built the week of 08/16/1965. Was the change made on Tigers after MK1 A production started? MK1 A bodies appear to be based on the series 5 body without the top boot doors.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The Rootes parts manual for Alpines shows that the window crank handle for Alpines changed with B395000001. This was the first series 5 Alpine built the week of 08/16/1965. Was the change made on Tigers after MK1 A production started? MK1 A bodies appear to be based on the series 5 body without the top boot doors.
On the Prototype I restored, it had the provision in the door for the lower handle position neatly filled in, and the upper location modified into the door. This was B9479975LRXFE PP47.. The very first (NON GT) car with the GT interior and revised window crank location. Built early July 1965
DSCF4904.JPG

Last edited:

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Based on the mounting for the GT door panel along with it looking like the spot welds for the GT bracket may be original this could have been a body destined to be a series 4 Alpine GT.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Based on the mounting for the GT door panel along with it looking like the spot welds for the GT bracket may be original this could have been a body destined to be a series 4 Alpine GT.
Well, of course it was... Duh... This was the first body shell that Rootes decided to adapt into a Mk1A Tiger... I was a transition body, square doors and hood, round corner boot lid. i.e. making a Mk1 Tiger into a Mk1A. In fact, according to Graham Vickery, this car was the first car in the Mk2 development program... CB2810/3. There were two cars... (And 2 PH, or photographic cars) This one and 9976LRXFE... Although I do not know if they were both made to the same specifications. Something I noticed very early on... as I own a Mk2, was that 9975 had the upper tangs to mount a Mk2 grille insert. I do not know if it ever had the insert, or the upper grille molding... but I suspect it did, it did have the lower mounting holes for the grille insert... Of course, dealing with the usual suspects (you know who), I met with significant resistance. I had the complete history of the car, so it was what it was. The car sailed through a TAC inspection. Unfortunately, the Rootes records are in "disarray"... I should have just purchased this car and kept it for myself... alas... we all learn from our mistakes! The Mk2 I am now restoring came from the same source... needless to say... I'm keeping it for myself!!

The PP car (B9479975LRXFE) I bought for a client... I'm exceedingly sorry I didn't just buy it for myself and keep it...

The Mk2 grille mounting tabs are pictured below. These are completely unique to the Mk2.

The rear top well bulkhead was totally different from a normal Mk1A as well. Of course, a Mk1 does not have the rear top well panel, as that is a hinged panel on a mk1. The prototype had the stiffening ridges in different locations that a normal Mk1A and the rear panel (upholstered casing) was obviously different with the retaining clips in different locations. Additionally, the retainers for the upper padded Mk1a roll were in different locations and there were more of them than on a standard Mk1a. Looking at the Mk1a driver's handbook offers a clue as the arrangement of the interior panels and how they are different. The rear panel is smooth instead of heat seamed (pleated) like on a normal production Mk1A. This was something that Norm Miller pointed out to me when I first acquired the car. He knew the previous couple of keepers before I bought the car. There were other things that suggested the car was unusual... The curtain for the top well on a Mk1A is pebble grain like the rest of the interior... This car retained it's original top well curtain and it was smooth grain, like a Mk1. A feature I replicated when I restored the car.

DSCF3711.JPG

Last edited:

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
When the car arrived it was BRG... but the chassis plate indicated Med. Blue.. Note the C6 stamping which is also unusual (next to the engine number) This car did not have a JAL tag, the tag of the LH door identified it as a PP car.

DSCF4898.JPG
emnants of the original Med. blue paint are visible

DSCF3670.JPG

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Well, of course it was... Duh... This was the first body shell that Rootes decided to adapt into a Mk1A Tiger... I was a transition body, square doors and hood, round corner boot lid. i.e. making a Mk1 Tiger into a Mk1A. In fact, according to Graham Vickery, this car was the first car in the Mk2 development program... CB2810/3. There were two cars... (And 2 PH, or photographic cars) This one and 9976LRXFE... Although I do not know if they were both made to the same specifications. Something I noticed very early on... as I own a Mk2, was that 9975 had the upper tangs to mount a Mk2 grille insert. I do not know if it ever had the insert, or the upper grille molding... but I suspect it did, it did have the lower mounting holes for the grille insert... Of course, dealing with the usual suspects (you know who), I met with significant resistance. I had the complete history of the car, so it was what it was. The car sailed through a TAC inspection. Unfortunately, the Rootes records are in "disarray"... I should have just purchased this car and kept it for myself... alas... we all learn from our mistakes! The Mk2 I am now restoring came from the same source... needless to say... I'm keeping it for myself!!

The PP car (B9479975LRXFE) I bought for a client... I'm exceedingly sorry I didn't just buy it for myself and keep it...

The Mk2 grille mounting tabs are pictured below. These are completely unique to the Mk2.

The rear top well bulkhead was totally different from a normal Mk1A as well. Of course, a Mk1 does not have the rear top well panel, as that is a hinged panel on a mk1. The prototype had the stiffening ridges in different locations that a normal Mk1A and the rear panel (upholstered casing) was obviously different with the retaining clips in different locations. Additionally, the retainers for the upper padded Mk1a roll were in different locations and there were more of them than on a standard Mk1a. Looking at the Mk1a driver's handbook offers a clue as the arrangement of the interior panels and how they are different. The rear panel is smooth instead of heat seamed (pleated) like on a normal production Mk1A. This was something that Norm Miller pointed out to me when I first acquired the car. He knew the previous couple of keepers before I bought the car. There were other things that suggested the car was unusual... The curtain for the top well on a Mk1A is pebble grain like the rest of the interior... This car retained it's original top well curtain and it was smooth grain, like a Mk1. A feature I replicated when I restored the car.

View attachment 16685
Around the same time Rootes was doing different things to preproduction series 5 Alpines. I would assume that one of the preproduction series 5 Alpines is still in California. It was parked beside our car at the concorse at SUNI in Colorado Springs and I took a lot of photos of it. There were differences between it and the Alpines that eventually came off the production line. After watching the body restoration of one of the AF tigers I've wondered how many changes were made to the AF Tigers over the period they were on the road. Rootes did some different things.