Modifying Throttle Pedal Assembly

Carbuilder

Silver forum user
This is one of those not leaving (almost) good enough alone projects. I have the dash area all apart and removed the throttle pedal assembly. It works well enough, but the idea of the steel shaft turning in a metal plate with a hole drilled through it just didn't seem quite good enough. So...

The various pieces:

Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 9.57.44 AM.png

The shaft rotates in the hole; metal on metal:

Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 9.57.54 AM.jpg

I bored the holes to take a flanged bearing with an OD of 7/8". The ID is 3/8" which is the shaft size. Didn't leave a lot of material around the holes, but with the bearings installed with Loctite it would be strong enough:

Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 9.58.08 AM.jpg

Bearings installed:

Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 9.58.16 AM.jpg

Reassembled and perfectly smooth rotating action with no play:

Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 9.58.32 AM.jpg

Rick

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Nice work... @sandy had posted plans of a bushed pedal a while back , seems a nice upgrade for the tactile parts of driving.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I built Sandy's assembly using rod ends, and goes well in a modified car - this one using a bearing is stealthy

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
This is one of those not leaving (almost) good enough alone projects. I have the dash area all apart and removed the throttle pedal assembly. It works well enough, but the idea of the steel shaft turning in a metal plate with a hole drilled through it just didn't seem quite good enough. So...

The various pieces:

View attachment 18884

The shaft rotates in the hole; metal on metal:

View attachment 18885

I bored the holes to take a flanged bearing with an OD of 7/8". The ID is 3/8" which is the shaft size. Didn't leave a lot of material around the holes, but with the bearings installed with Loctite it would be strong enough:

View attachment 18886

Bearings installed:

View attachment 18887

Reassembled and perfect smooth rotating action with no play:

View attachment 18888

Rick
Nice work. Anything to make it smoother. Never thought of the flanged bearings, good idea!

Sandy

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Out of curiosity, do you have any special plans for dealing with the vertical piece that attaches to the carb rod/cable?
Buck

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Out of curiosity, do you have any special plans for dealing with the vertical piece that attaches to the carb rod/cable?
Buck
Robert made a new one that uses a collar clamp welded to a new rod, really looks good. I also made one out of an aluminum arm with a piece of metal to extend it a bit, I think the aluminum arm was from Speedway. Anything has to be better than the stock one. Let me see if I can dig up a picture of what I did, but if you want to make one better start like Roberts with a steel split collar TIG welded to an arm.

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Buck - Look at my website for some pics here for the hack that I did. I don't have a pic of Robert's, but I can get one in the next day or so depending on the Super Storm ;)

https://gtsparkplugs.com/sunbeam-tiger-throttle-linkage.html

Some shots of the hacked linkage arm I got from Speedway. I am going to use a Lokar cable pull for my car if that matters.

Sandy

Carbuilder

Silver forum user
Buck
Don't have a picture of it right now, but mine has one of those ball things on the throttle pedal vertical piece and the mating snap part on the rod. Probably not a great description but I'll take a picture when I'm in the garage and the lift is down. Don't know what the stock setup is/was.