More Rear Suspension Work

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Working on the rear to try to button it up... Didn't make as much progress as I hoped for.

Pulled the lowering blocks and chopped them down a bit as the length was too long. Trimmed them down to the length of the axle perch.

Painted up the leaf spring brackets, and installed with a new alignment bolt. Fit a lot better with the shorter blocks.

Then moved on to installing the QA1 shocks, not too bad.

Sway bar links installed, but looked like I would be tight for clearance on the top of the swaybar arms would hit the underside of the body so went to look for the shorter set I made just in case... No idea where they are so not having access to a lathe this time, just ordered a set. Found a really short set of adjusters and popped them on just to see and looks like it will solve the height issue and prevent hitting the arms on the chassis.

Onto the spring bars. The mounts were fabricated for the leaf spring brackets and new mounts that are strongly welded (hopefully) to replace the torn and cracked ones that were on the car. One side went on with a little tappy tap on the bolt and right in, the other side was about 3/8" off on the hole. I had not changed anything since the fabrication on all the rear was done, so have no idea why the second one didn't fit. I even tried to swap the other around and no go. So I figured I would try adjusting the rod end on the one that is short, no go, it leaves only 1/4" of threads so need to order a new extension that cleaverly allow you to change the length. The fabricator had cut both of them to the correct size (or so it seems). So in measuring the bars the difference was about .5" so found the issue. Two new ones inbound for that fix. Will double check before chopping to make sure the other ends of the bar are the same length, but it's not really adjustable.

Then onto the rear brakes and checking of bearings. The axle is a Speedway Engineering Mod-Lite full floating 9". I had made up a brake line for both brakes and the T-Block. Well after I had made that that I had the Panhard bar bracketing added. Oh, yeah, I installed the Panhard bar, now back to it, so with the new panhard bracket stretched right behind the caliper their appears to have plenty of room to get the brake line on... Almost, you can get the line on but not way to tighten it, tried long, short, and some odd wrench, but now way to do it. So had to make an extension with a union fitting to be able to tighten the line BEFORE bolting it to the bracket. Then remade up the line with NiCopp tubing and called it quits.

Made a good amount of progress, waiting for a few parts, finding out the glitches, etc. I would be dishartened except everything on this project goes this way so not really unexpected. Still moving it forward. Many pics ahead!

Enjoy
Sandy

20240401_112617.jpg

20240401_114228.jpg

20240401_115038.jpg

20240402_114956.jpg

20240402_145942.jpg

20240405_132317.jpg

20240405_132339.jpg

20240405_132401.jpg

Last edited:

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The Panhard bar and QA1's installed. Hardware ordered the evening the day before, showed up for the afternoon install. Thank you McMaster-Carr!

20240403_115145.jpg

20240403_115148.jpg

20240403_115155.jpg

20240403_120143.jpg

20240403_155126.jpg

20240403_155128.jpg

20240404_122641.jpg

20240404_123614.jpg

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Finally got the second spring bar installed as well replaced the sway bar adjusters with something that should do the trick. Everything tightened up except for shocks which I need to pull to install a bump stop on them. Otherwise just about done with the rear. Since I had no access to a lathe or large enough drill press I could not drill to size for tapping, so I had to toss it in a vise and use a had reamer to get to the correct size. Was not too bad. Assembled and everything looked square.

Brakes calipers and set up are left to do, one side (the hard one) is done and set up. Pics of that job here - https://www.catmbr.org/cat-forum/threads/rear-brakes-and-such.8829/

Chopping the new spring bar extension part on the cold saw. I checked as best I could to see if square, and it was. Chopped away.

20240419_152331.jpg

After the chop, the bar needed a nice chamfer so I rigged up some blue tape and a socket attached to the drill to give it a spin while the belt sander did its magic
20240419_152941.jpg

Clean cut, the hole dimensions, and what is needed about 0.015 to make the right size hole for the tap
20240419_155214.jpg

Dis a few passes with the hand reamer and got it perfect
20240423_133336.jpg

Can I tap straight and square? Never sure but this did work out really well for a change. Tap Magic as mandatory part of the process.
20240423_134308.jpg

Tightened together, and ready to install the rod end and pop in the car.
20240423_135022.jpg

I had some shorty adjusters, but hate that style, no way to grip, and a bit shorter than I liked. Got some replacements that were perfect and strong.
20240426_140647.jpg

Ready to go and a lot of room before the arm hits the sheet metal above.
20240428_115414.jpg

Passenger side ready to go.
20240428_115426.jpg

Last edited:

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Beautiful work! Do you know ahead of time whether or not all of these components will work together, or is it just trial and error with adjustments? Kirk

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Beautiful work! Do you know ahead of time whether or not all of these components will work together, or is it just trial and error with adjustments? Kirk
Most is experimental, it's easily removed as well adjusted. The spring bars work 1/2 like a solid under rider in one direction, the other in compression allows for some movement. Ideally I would love to come up with something like this that is a push/pull under tension but would be some work to make vs. off the shelf. The sway bar is going to be hit or miss, I have a very light bar on the car but not sure how that will work, but again starting light I have a few thicker bars that can be swapped out easily or just remove if the need be. Likely a better way to go would be to try one thing at a time. Will see and my key is to keep moving forward!

Thanks for the compliment!

Sandy