My alpine 5 Gt

steven

Gold forum user
The Alpine has been hiding away for the last six months. To busy with work, bad weather stopping outings. The Tiger restors has also been lacking. What to do, after 6 months, squerted a bit of engine starter into the webbers and turned the key. The old girl started on the first kick however had to give it the usual many pumps of the throttle before the webbers burst into life.

Jippee, dam good sound, next outing in 2 weeks, hope our damm floods/rains piss off. :D

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Steven,

I would be curious to hear you compare your Alpine and your Tiger. Probably each especially nice in its own special ways.

No doubt the Webbers add significantly to the Alpine's engine performance. I understand there is a head combustion chamber modification that can help power significantly as well. Is that something you have done?

I read somewhere that with its roll up windows, generous boot space and better than average weather sealing hood, it was considered more of a grand touring car than sports car back in the day. Albeit a bit short on engine size and power.

How do you compare and contrast the Alpine and the Tiger? Depending on one's mood at the time, I imagine there are some good reasons to own one of each as well!:)

Gene

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Not sure Steven is qualified to do the comparison.. given the tiger has not hit the road yet!

As for the twin DCOEs they actually do wake an alpine engine up, especially if they are used in combination with head mods and cam. The head mod you are talking about Gene is probably the Vizard mod, lowers compressio but increases flow. Combustion chamber mods, and working of the intake and exhaust ports does a fair bit for the rootes alloy heads, makes them smoother and more powerful. As for the DCOE's.. well they can increase the output by almost 10% alone.. that said,, that's only about 8.5 BHP!

On the comparison side, i have spoken about this many times. I have owned both now fora while (alpine since 1996 and tiger since 2006, and driving alpines since 1994) My alpine has twin DCOE's, head mods, cam, flat tops, electronic ignition, gas adjustable shocks front and back. Tiger has 340hp crate motor, headers, elec ignition, uprated springs, shocks, swaybars, brakes.

I live in the city and I can say that in city driving through twisty side streets and roundabouts traffic islands the alpine is more fun, it turns in so much better and more importantly.. you can really DRIVE the car. You have to used the gears in the alpine, rev it to keep it moving along and keep momentum up in the corners so you can have a ball in it. You really use the gearbox. In the Tiger if you rev it out.. you are breaking the speed limit and it doesn't handle nearly as nicely. Also the stock CR box leave the 1 st gear so tall that it takes the fun on the run.. great on a racetrack.. not so much on the street.

Now.. thats not to say i dont love the tiger.. when there is a gap in traffic.. a nice freeway on ramp or the opportunity to take it on the track it is magic.. the power and push it has s amazing.. also while the alpine is great fun in the hills, the tigers torque allows it to slingshot out of corners up hills.. never fails to bring a smile.

They are very different cars, the alpine is more fun more of the time around town.. but you forgive the Tiger for all its shortcomings when you get the chance to sink the right foot.. or trundle along using all the torque.

steven

Gold forum user
Michael posted very well. The feeling of the alpine can only be enjoyed when the lady is not onboard. The sound is totally different when the rev's get over 3,00 grand. It changes from a high pitched noise to a very loud deep roar, enjoyed by me, as it scoots down the road in full song. The Tiger can be waited on :D:D:D:D:D