Need Exhaust System Recommendations

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
Hi All,

I am at the point where I need to source an exhaust system for my MK1a. This is not intended to be a show car, so absolute originality is not a requirement. I have heard that 2" pipes may give a little better performance.

Is there a pre-made system that you would recommend? Or is it a better choice to go with a custom made system? There is a really good custom muffler shop near me that does a lot of work on muscle cars and hot rods.

Thanks,

Marty

woody6

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Sunbeam Specialties has a nice stainless system ready to connect to cast iron manifolds, I think it is the 1.75 size. I wanted the 2" pipes, and I have headers, so I went the route of the local shop. You'll have to decide what is better, but here's a few ideas if you have a local shop do it.

First, I wanted the polished tips, so I bought a 4' piece of stainless and had it angle cut in the middle. I brought this to the shop to make the polished ends.

Second, a tip I got almost 40 years ago from a local shop muffler shop owner. The pipes through the crossmember will have to be flattened slightly. The installer should put the left one through the frame low, or nearer the bottom, and the right one higher, or nearer the top. It is a fine line to not get too close to the top/bottom of the frame openings (even on the near side), but this little bit of bias on each side helps when the engine is loaded and rocks over slightly on the motor mounts.

Best of luck, let us know what you do.

--Woody

exhaust5s.jpg

exhaust4s.jpg

Last edited:

woody6

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for the tips and pics Woody! That is a nice looking system you have.
Thanks. Also, if you go with a local shop, make sure they keep it fairly close underneath. Mine is still lower than I would have liked.