Needle of speedo

Pooloo

Bronze forum user
Hello from France tigerists!

This is paul,speaking from Paris,i wrote you last time about draining the cooling system ,thank you all for your responses,especially Gene !
I m waiting my fan shroud which is in chroming step and meanwhile,i thought i could put my news speedo and tachymeter,both bought on ebay uk and in excellent condition. The tacho run pefectly,clean ,precise BUT the needle of the speedo doesn t move... The cable is ok,i can feel it turn with my fingers,and the odometer turn too,exactly the same problem with my first speedo!
I try the new speedo with my drill ,and i see the needle growing,but only when i do a "vibration" with the drill,in the car ,the needle doesn t want to move.
It seems to me it is the magnet turning which doesn t want to make turn the drag cup which support the needle,but WHY ?
If someone got an idea before i send this speedo to a pro,i m here!
Again,thank you all ,i love this car!
Happy tigerist !!!
Paul

Cal44

Gold forum user
Paul,

If you had the same problem with the first Speedo and then the second, that is something. If it were me I would take them both to a instrument shop that repairs automotive gauges. Also a new cable to cover all possibilities.

Notice how easy I spend your money?

Mike

Pooloo

Bronze forum user
Hello mike
Thank for your response.
I m thinking about since 3 days without interruption now and,after have began dismantling the first speedo,i ve seen a little movement in the axe of the shaft; maybe the cable push a little bit too strong on the drag cup and the needle is not enough "free".
With a lack of lubrication,dirt,and a magnet of 45 years and here is the result...
I must send the speedo to a pro. and when will be clean ,if the problem continue ,it must be the cable.
Regards

Paul

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I've been told that some ( most? ) replacement speedo cables have the cable protruding into the speedo head too far and need to be shortened at that end . The exact length escapes me even though I've been given the exact dimension several times... oldtimer's disease? I 'think' it's about 1/8" too long... it put's pressure on the mechanism inside and the speedo won't function correctly

Jim
B382000446

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
I bought a replacement speedo cable from Speedograph Richfield LTD (ebay UK) last summer but never got around to installing it. I just looked at it again, and was comparing it to what I think is an oem cable I had kept from many years ago. (You just never know...).

Four things seem to be wrong/different.

As Jim observes, the end that goes into the speedo on the replacement cable is indeed longer than the old one. As I measure it, it is 3/16 an inch (4.76mm?) longer. Measured from the back side of the little brass crimped stop on the cable end to the tip, the old one is 13/16 inches (20.64 mm ?). On the new one it is 1 inch long (25.4 mm) in that dimension. I also notice that the tip of the new one is very blunt while the old one is very pointed. Not sure if that makes a functional difference but it is a physical difference.

I also noticed that the cables are also wound in opposite directions. I recall reading somewhere that the wrong spiral will cause transmission grease to work its way up the cable and clog the back of the speedo. Holding the tip of the old one up, the cable spirals down and to the right.

The new cable is also about 16 inches (40.64cm) longer than my old one.

Finally the end that goes into the transmission is very different than the old one. I am not even sure how the speedo pickup gear attaches.

I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

Paul, were it me, I might first try trimming the speedo end of the cable and see if that makes a difference.

And if anyone else has used the cable I bought, I would appreciate seeing a post of your experience with the difference on the transmission end gear connection.

Cheers, Gene

Last edited:

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Curious ??

Yup; sure would like to see a pic of the drive end of that replacement cable. Also, 16" extra length would fit an old Mustang. And to our PooLoo buddy, keep a firm grip on the piece that actually enters the transmission. If I find one unattended, it's coming home with me. randy

Pooloo

Bronze forum user
Hello guys, thank for your reactions

The problem is that the speedo worked when i bought the car and stop after a little high speed(~120 miles/h...)just to see what this beast got...
So is that possible that with an high speed,the cable goes out but not totally?,as the odometer still turning. But i don t understand the needle stay at zero ,as my experienced father say,she should at least move a little.
My cable seems to be like the below one on yours photos,Gene. He s not pointed a the end like on the top one.
As i sayed to mike,i start dismantling the first speedo and i feel an axis micro movement on the shaft bearing the magnet and the drag cup. This movement is made by pushing in the lock of the cable ,at the rear of the speedo,which make the needle not enough free to move. So,you all seems to be right,like usually,experienced guys!
I just need a confirmation that the problem is because the cable is a little outed from the gearbox before i cut it .
Thank you all ,one day i ll come with "Christine" to california to see you!
Regards
Paul

Pooloo

Bronze forum user
Hello guys

The story of my speedo continue,i decided to send it to a pro who gonna dismantle,clean and grease it,before cutting the cable and doing a mistake.
I ll see after the cleaning if the problem was or not this cable,but i don t think.
I ve try to put the cable not too strong at the rear of the speedo and the needle stay at zero...
I ll tell you ever the speedo is ok.

Regards
Paul

Pooloo

Bronze forum user
Hello

Just some news of my speedo; it works !
Finally ,after a good cleaning,re greasing with lithium ,painting the box and change the glass,everything works and seems to be new.
The needles was dead because of the worn and the old...
He s ready for the next 50 years ,now!

Cheers

Paul