Original vs new repo gas tank balance hoses

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have the original 4 gas tank - cross over rubber hoses. They cleaned up and look very good. I also havef a new set of repo hoses fro SS (many thanks) but pondering quality of rubber in todays world. After 50+ years the original hoses look great, rubber is still flexible and 'just thinking' that maybe I should re-use. Any inputl or thoughts I may need to consider.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
To consider...

1. If there is ethanol in the fuel and how it may react to the old rubber

2. The old ones had a thinner wall section iirc...which makes them easier to fit.

3. General advice...the clamps had slightly differ sizes iirc and there is a sequence that helps them easier to install as the tightening drive can be difficult to access.

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Ethanol .. I had not thought of that .. but here in Colorado I beleve we have had ethanol requirement on us for at least the last 10+ years and these old/original hoses seem to survived that with no physical problems. I will call SS next week to ask about the new hose ethanol compatibilty (may be a rating or something). Anyone know re ethanol compatiblity new or original hoses?

Have gone thru the hose clamp and cross over install puzzle before, don't exactly remember sequence or clocking but looking forward to getting to that point.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I bought a 3 foot length of fuel hose at a local NAPA. It's important to make sure you're buying fuel hose and not radiator hose... The fuel hose is ethanol resistant, radiator/cooling hose is not. I have quite a bit left!

I opted to use band clamps on the fuel crossover hoses as they have hex heads and I could tighten them with a 1/4 drive rachet with an extension. The original wire clamps are difficult to really get tight with their slotted head screws... in any event, the clamps aren't visible with the trunk cardboard panels in place....

JimsCat

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
My 58-year-old, never disturbed fuel hoses are holding just fine. But I won't be surprised to find a puddle of gasoline under the car at some point. For now, if it works, don't fix it!