Paint stripping

steven

Gold forum user
I have just seen my Tiger, still lurking in its container, pick up on Thursday at this stage. Very please with the parts supplied by CAT members to assist in its rebirth. Now at previous restores I used chemical strippers, very messey, takes 2 or 3 applications however eventually does the job. Now the fumes etc cause me grief so looking at getting a consenses. Media Blasting? dipping? using heat gun? or sanding? or stay with the chemical stripping?

Cheers
Steven

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If you have the option of dipping.. do it, gets in and get rid of ALL the rust even in cavity areas that mdeia cant reach, also you dont have to get rid of media afterwards.

FrankS

Silver forum user
Dip it

I have had a few cars restored thru the years all were dipped, I love the way every inch is clean, just make sure it is done properly as they need to be rinsed correctly.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Well I'll be dipped !!

Being a Nor'east (rust belt) shop, the car's condition determines how I proceed. Most of the time I blast all but the broader panels with a hard media to find any weak spots. A well aimed nozzel will get into those little hidden areas. We then strip the broad areas with any good commercial product. Anything on the EPA's banned list works great. A car that doesn't show much rust weakness is better dipped. AND, to agree with previous posting, the correct rinsing is a must.