rear disc brakes

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Is the pictured set-up below the Fiat (X 1/9??) installation that I have heard of? It has unequal length cables for the e-brake sections of the calipers. This is installed behind a 14" wheel. It doesn't appear that a 13" wheel will fit over the caliper body.

P4151927.JPG

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Perfect timing, I was about to work on rear bump stops for my axle and wad wondering where the bumper was mounted as the pad where it hits the body was oddly offset. Now I see why. Been a long time since I had the stock D44 axle.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Perfect timing, I was about to work on rear bump stops for my axle and wad wondering where the bumper was mounted as the pad where it hits the body was oddly offset. Now I see why. Been a long time since I had the stock D44 axle.
There is also an offset rebound rubber about 2-3" aft of the front spring eye... These were introduced about mid way through the MK1a.

Do you recognize what the brakes are from??

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
No idea, but those have to be the smallest discs I have seen :)

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
That looks like the Fiat X1/9-124 rear caliper.

Different rotors were used through the years with different offsets.

With the right combination, 13" wheels could be used.

DW

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
confirms what I thought. Thanks! Not sure these would be much of an improvement over the drums. Not much surface area for the brake pads.

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The good news about the Fiat calipers was they were a good choice for good brake balance.

Also there are better friction materials available for them.

However, the pads are VERY thin.

DW

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yes. They work Great.

BUT, same/similar pad material front and back is important.

DW

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If you do the math for using the Fiat rear calipers along with the stock Tiger front calipers, the Fiat's actually balance better than the Girling calipers that Doane sourced for his LAT kit from the Daimler SP250.

bt

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
If you do the math for using the Fiat rear calipers along with the stock Tiger front calipers, the Fiat's actually balance better than the Girling calipers that Doane sourced for his LAT kit from the Daimler SP250.

bt
Just try to source the Girling calipers from a series "C" SP250!! like finding rocking horse poo.
I have this setup on my IA . And can't fit 13s on the back
It sure didn't look to me like a 13" wheel would fit, the ones in the pic are 14" Panasports... it'd be a drag to get a flat, my spare is a 13"!

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I made them up for a Ford 8" axle.. pretty easy. the buffer is the same as the Big Healey coil spring buffer Moss #661-820
P7221436.JPG

Agent 861

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I have this setup on my IA . And can't fit 13s on the back
Michael does it make a difference to stopping power ? I've had my Alpine for 40 years and have never run out of brakes . I admit I'm new to Tigers but mine seems to pull up very swiftly whenever I hit the brakes. Maybe I drive like a Nana now (but certainly didn't 40 years ago) I often wonder when people say that the brakes in old cars are no good if they are not in good repair and set up properly - We experience this a lot in vintage car circles with many converting to hydraulics in the belief that they are superior but the mechanical rod brakes on my 1934 and 1930 Ford will lock up all the wheels and lay down a trail of rubber from each wheel if I want them to.

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The Go-to Rear brake rotor to use with 13" wheels is this:

P1040545.JPG

The rotor needs to be machined for the center hole but has the correct hole pattern.

The app is an 1984 Audi 5000 S Turbo

DW

Last edited:

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The caliper is a early Volvo 1800. no provision for a parking brake.

Also a good choice for decent front/rear balance.

And a decent pad availablity and thickness.

DW

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Interesting... I am guessing that you fabricated the caliper mounting brackets? This would work for a track car, but, personally I'd like to have an e-brake!

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Michael does it make a difference to stopping power ? I've had my Alpine for 40 years and have never run out of brakes . I admit I'm new to Tigers but mine seems to pull up very swiftly whenever I hit the brakes. Maybe I drive like a Nana now (but certainly didn't 40 years ago) I often wonder when people say that the brakes in old cars are no good if they are not in good repair and set up properly - We experience this a lot in vintage car circles with many converting to hydraulics in the belief that they are superior but the mechanical rod brakes on my 1934 and 1930 Ford will lock up all the wheels and lay down a trail of rubber from each wheel if I want them to.
The fronts do most of the stopping.. so upgrading the fronts is step one... Once they are updated then it's about getting a rear setup to balance it out

As for braking... The brakes if in good condition are as good as they were in period.. the modern tyres would help them be better than in the day...but.. by modern standards they aren't great and there are a lot more cars on the road.... And people cut in these days expecting people to behind to be able to stop with modern distances..... šŸ˜‘

As for Alpine v tiger... The Tiger is a lot heavier at the front and puts more weight forward... Also .. Tigers tend to get up to speed a bit quicker than the Alpine... So you may be stopping from quicker speeds in shorter distances....

Drive appropriately to what you have šŸ˜‰