Rear main seal

Wbacall

New forum user
Hello, first time posting. Can anyone tell me if it’s possible to replace a rear main seal in a 65 Tiger 260 without removing the engine?
Thank you!
Walter

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I've done it a couple of times. It requires getting a lot of stuff out of the way if time & patience are available. The top of the 2-piece seal is fed thru with a specific wire pull tool. Most often I find that the seal is fine but the lapping ends were never blessed with all important RTV before the main was installed. Just sayin'

Warren

Gold forum user
Sounds like the architect saying hollow out this 2"x4" and nail it from the inside.
Seen lots of I'll fix it by making more access holes.
I'd feed it's habit as long as possible. I nicknamed my first car The Exxon Valdez II . If you go to a Tiger event you can compare spots and likely feel better :)

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Sounds like the architect saying hollow out this 2"x4" and nail it from the inside.
Seen lots of I'll fix it by making more access holes.
I'd feed it's habit as long as possible. I nicknamed my first car The Exxon Valdez II . If you go to a Tiger event you can compare spots and likely feel better :)
Mine doesn't leak a drop... The last car that came in wasn't leaking from the rear main, but it's owner was convinced it was. Turns out whoever was in there before me didn't fully tighten the three plugs at the back of the block around the rear cam plug... pretty expensive repair considering I had to pull the engine....

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If you can get the oil pan off, you can replace the seal with the crank in place. It's really quite easy and the Felpro seal had fairly detailed instructions.
I just watched a couple of Youtube videos to familiarize myself with the design.

Wbacall

New forum user
If you can get the oil pan off, you can replace the seal with the crank in place. It's really quite easy and the Felpro seal had fairly detailed instructions.
I just watched a couple of Youtube videos to familiarize myself with the design.
Hello, first time posting. Can anyone tell me if it’s possible to replace a rear main seal in a 65 Tiger 260 without removing the engine?
Thank you!
Walter
Thanks for the info!

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
To give a bit more info.

Original 260 rear main seals were "rope seals".

sometimes getting the old seal out with the crank

in place can be a real challenge!

And attempting to replace the "rope seal" with

another rope seal, with the crank in place fits

the definition of impossible, (for a mere mortal).

However, IF you can get the old seal out,

getting a newer rubber seal back in is doable.

BUT, having it NOT leak is not a certainty!

I have found several rubber seals that do NOT fit

engines, to the point of sealing.

I have "had my way" with several rubber seals

to get them to seal!

YMMV!!

DW

1966 TGR

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Felpro kit has good instructions. It helps to loosen several main bearing caps slightly so you can slide the new seal around the crank. . I have found that if the car sits around and makes short trips, it's going to leak. Drove to Tigers United in Santa Maria and it was dry.