rebuilt, or new steering racks

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Is there a source for either rebuilt, or new steering racks? Tried Kiley Clinton in the UK, they are no longer able to rebuild or supply rebuilt units.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I remember they made some years ago in UK and were thinking of doing LHD too but don't know the company used
$$Bill Martin was selling 'quick' racks and might have got some 'stock' ones in exchange ??
I just sold the 2 I had to Gord in Surrey a couple months back and one was good and the other needed work as it had 'slack' in it

Last edited:

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I remember they made some years ago in UK and were thinking of doing LHD too but don't know the company used
$$Bill Martin was selling 'quick' racks and might have got some 'stock' ones in exchange ??
I just sold the 2 I had to Gord in Surrey a couple months back and one was good and the other needed work as it had 'slack' in it
That was Kiley Clinton. they made several batches priced at 640 BPS. but don't have any left and have no plans to make more. I sold one last year as well....

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just curious now? How many of the internal parts from the MG replacement rack are compatible with the Tiger rack? ? ?

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I don't think any of the internals will interchange. I did have one of the early Sprite/Midget racks in my car... very heavy steering at low speeds, and very twitchy at high speeds. Great for autocross, but was unnerving at high speeds. I reinstalled the OE rack and sold the kit and rack.

The one advantage to the MG rack was it was a lot easier to set toe in.

65tigercop

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I have a few used racks for sale. Thanks, Eric
I have Sprite/Midget rack in my car and am having some issues. I didn't have any issues really until my English build Midget rack wore out. The brand new replacement rack is so tight a fit, that binds when turn wheels to lock either direction. And, God fobid jack car up without at least taking front wheels off , or Tie rod ends, which will consequently break the inner tie rods. I unfortunately sold my very good factory rack to fellow Tiger owner in England who really needed one. I may need another one if can't get issues squared away? How much are you asking for a good rack? I was hoping to go to one of Dale's front ends but they are just too expensive now.

Thanks, Chris