Series 1-2 Alpine brake rotors

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I have been asked if there is any demand for series 1-2 Alpine brake rotors from my contacts at Moss.... is there??? They do have an affordable source for the 3-5/Tiger brake rotors.. They gave me a list of things that they can source... are there requests from the peanut gallery??

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
This peanut gallery would like to see Moss carry the rear brake drums for the Tigers and Alpines using the same. I don't know if that is on the list they passed along to you, though.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have been asked if there is any demand for series 1-2 Alpine brake rotors from my contacts at Moss.... is there??? They do have an affordable source for the 3-5/Tiger brake rotors.. They gave me a list of things that they can source... are there requests from the peanut gallery??
Best to ask this on the alpine forum , not many early series alpine owners on CAT, so not a good sample of demand.

DAH

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Is somebody besides EBC making these rotors.I'm in the market for new rotors so I just might give them a call and see what they say.

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Even " not being on the list" the SI/II brake drums are completely different from all later Alpine/Tiger ones since they carry external weights with balance bores. Weird designs and not easy to reproduce at all. Regarding the early front rotors they are also different than the later series. Slightly smaller diameter and least 2 different original thicknesses. Remember shims were used to center brake calipers on the SII. Not easy stuff too. Speedy Spares in UK used to repro early series rotors where I bought a couple of sets earlier. Don't think they are doing them anymore since they'll go out of biz soon. A pity though. Have a couple of comparative pics somewhere. Just need to find them :)

Last edited:

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
hardly would be helpful to send a used, and likely turned (several times), rotor...
I have used early rotors that have never been turned.
Even " not being on the list" the SI/II brake drums are completely different from all later Alpine/Tiger ones since they carry external weights with balance bores. Weird designs and not easy to reproduce at all. Regarding the early front rotors they are also different than the later series. Slightly smaller diameter and least 2 different original thicknesses. Remember shims were used to center brake calipers on the SII. Not easy stuff too. Speedy Spares in UK used to repro early series rotors where I bought a couple of sets earlier. Don't think they are doing them anymore since they'll go out of biz soon. A pity though. Have a couple of comparative pics somewhere. Just need to find them :)

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
if they have been used, they have no value at all for establishing original dimensions... and you know that.
They were original to one of my cars and I doubt that a Harrington with 24K original miles has much wear on the brake rotors.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
@Austin Healer what was the average life span of the rotors in normal use in period? Or the time before they might get turned at service?

I would think that the rotors had a life of maybe 100k miles?

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
@Austin Healer what was the average life span of the rotors in normal use in period? Or the time before they might get turned at service?

It depends on how the brakes are used and maintained. Drive it hard and get heat into the rotors so they warp kind of reduces the life of them Brake pad material and sticking caliper pistons effect the wear on the rotors

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It depends on how the brakes are used and maintained. Drive it hard and get heat into the rotors so they warp kind of reduces the life of them Brake pad material and sticking caliper pistons effect the wear on the rotors
Yes, aware that driving style.. also climate etc will impact wear rate.. obliviously pad choice.. though back in the day stock pads would have been more likely the fitment.

just wondering what an in the day lifecycle was.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user

The factory manual advised replacement if run out exceeds .004". The factory shop manual does not provide minimum rotor thickness, simply stating that the rotor should be replaced if worn. I know there are many who maintain that the rotors can safely be turned multiple times. I'm not one of them. Unvented rotors warp fairly easily when subjected to heat. The thinner the rotor, the faster they warp. Brakes are the very last area of any car than you want to cheap out on.

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
With my old rotors I felt I was allowed 1 good stop before I felt a pulse in my brake pedal and it was like that until I took the car home and they cooled. This would go on each time until the rotors were replaced and the car stopped like it should over and over with no pedal vibration or pulse. Thank you Sean for fixing that all the rest of the weird little problems.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Where I live, none of the shops will turn a rotor that does not have the minimum allowable thickness stamped on the rotor.