SoCal transmission shop

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Seeing you posted HERE, my guess is you are looking to change from

close ratio gears to wide ratio gears?

Do you plan to have the Trans shop R&R the Trans?

Having a shop re-gear a carry in trans is one thing,

Having them PULL the Trans is another.

DW

Ash31479

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for the reply. It’s a T5. The trans is out of the car. I want to swap the 5th gear and put on the s-10 tailshaft housing.

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I would start with a talk to Anaheim Gear.

And then call around to other trans shops to check pricing.

However, beware other shops may farm out the job to Anaheim gear.

Because AG likely has the parts on the shelf., few others would.

What 5 th gear?

DW

Last edited:

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The OEM .80 5th is/was made with small, quiet teeth.

The Aftermarket .80 5th gears use bigger teeth and

Not likely to be as quiet.

You should have a chat about gear noise with whoever

sells the .80 5th gear set, just so it's not a surprise.

DW

Ash31479

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Will do. I would love to find the OEM .80. I definitely don’t want it too loud. Thanks for the advice.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Just so you know... I did the S10 tail housing switch on a Ford T5 5spd for my brother's TR4a project... It put the shifter in the correct position. I Tigerized it with a 302... The Ford and Chevy mainshafts on the T5 have the speedo drive in different locations. So it was impossible to use either an electronic or cable type drive for the speedo. In the end I opted for a GPS driven cable box so I could use the original speedometer... about $600.

Ash31479

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Just so you know... I did the S10 tail housing switch on a Ford T5 5spd for my brother's TR4a project... It put the shifter in the correct position. I Tigerized it with a 302... The Ford and Chevy mainshafts on the T5 have the speedo drive in different locations. So it was impossible to use either an electronic or cable type drive for the speedo. In the end I opted for a GPS driven cable box so I could use the original speedometer... about $600.
Thanks for the heads up. I was under the impression the mechanical speedo would work. I won’t waists the extra money and just go with the GPS speedo and stick with the electronic speedo housing I have already.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Thanks for the heads up. I was under the impression the mechanical speedo would work. I won’t waists the extra money and just go with the GPS speedo and stick with the electronic speedo housing I have already.
It was an unexpected pain in the ass... I probably should have stripped the Ford box and rebuilt it around the Chev mainshaft, at least that way the speedo drive would have ended up in the right place... as you want to change the 5th gear, this might be an option. The diameter of the mainshaft is the same for either the electronic reluctor, or the nylon gear, so switching to the GM driveshaft might get you where you want to be... it just depends on if you want a mechanical speedo or not. The GPS cable drive is spendy, but pretty slick. It allowed the use of the original TR4A speedo. I had the tach modified to be electrically driven, so was able to keep the original gauges and stock look. The shifter came right out in the original spot, so looking at the car you have no clue it's a V8 until it's started!

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I used a .73 o.d. gear it was easier to find... ( Hanlon Motorsports )
With the AMC tail, I used a TH400 drive gear relocated on the output shaft to line up and mesh with with the Chrysler 904 style speedo housing and then shortened the speedo cable and put a GM style end on it

DSC_0090.JPG

Dodge speedo housing.JPG

DSCF0125.JPG

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I used a .73 o.d. gear it was easier to find... ( Hanlon Motorsports )
With the AMC tail, I used a TH400 drive gear relocated on the output shaft to line up and mesh with with the Chrysler 904 style speedo housing and then shortened the speedo cable and put a GM style end on it

View attachment 16030

View attachment 16031

View attachment 16032
what is the shim for the speedo gear made out of, and how did you install it. this would be a solution for using the S10 tailshaft housing... The AMC ones are really hard to find!

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I've done 2 of T5 z-spec/AMC tailhousing setups ... I needed to make a custom shim for tail bushing as the AMC is too loose on the yoke. pretty straightforward after solving the speedo issue which I had help from a guy at PATC . The shim was a piece of thinwall PVC 1" pipe that was just the right size. epoxied on and the clip has a long enough tang to go into the hole in the shaft that I drilled with great difficulty, lol

The speedo housing for the 904 is 'clockable' so that helped in getting the gears to mesh properly. I couldn't get the correct gear ratio for the stock speedo so had to buy a gear reducer box

Picture 113.jpg

Picture 117.jpg

drive geclip T5.jpg

IMG_0291a.jpg

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
to answer the original question from Ash,
AA Gears & Shafts did a great job on the T-5 for my Tiger

I wanted a real overdrive, not a 5th gear. My thinking was that the speed I'd run out of revs in 4th and needed a 5th would be over 100mph. That does not happen very often in my driving. However a freeway cruise at 70 or so happens all the time.

When Ford introduced the T-5 to the world in the Mustang II with the 302, their engineers inchose a .625 ratio for the Mustang II.) So my plan was to mate an early Ford T-5 main case (including output shaft) with the Chevy S-10 tail housing. AA did most of the work. (I did the speedo gear using an aluminum shim.)
1402 E Washington Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90021
(213) 748-2194

The result is a joy to drive. We've done thousands and thousands of open road miles with it including cross country trips. Sound level and mileage are great. I'd never switch.

As to the speedo gear. I made an aluminum spacer with a slit, got it over the shaft and both pressed and epoxied it into place. However while I could have used a traditional speedo gear I chose to use a OEM reluctor. Confirming what Sean posted, GM used the T-5 into the eighties which spanned the change from geared speedometers into the electronic era. They made an OEM electronic sensor that plugged right into the T-5's speedo cable hole. Since I already owned a Tigerized electronic speedo (Tiger face on a Porsche instrument) I chose that route because of lazyness - running a wire is easier than trying to have a custom speedo cable made. Today's GPS units are easier still. I think guys in the UK are now putting Tiger faces on GPS units. I imagine there are other sources as well.

If you decide to fool with the reluctors I remember that Standard instruments sold both the reluctor and the pickup. However they had weird names. I can't remember what they were. Maybe the sensor's name involved cruise control??? I don't know.

good luck.

Buck

Warren

Gold forum user
What year S-10 , and which motor the V-6 or the 4 cyl.
Wasn't this the Isuzu built Chebby?
Thanks for the reply. It’s a T5. The trans is out of the car. I want to swap the 5th gear and put on the s-10 tailshaft housing.

Ash31479

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Thanks Buck, I will swing by AA gears once I get all my parts together. I work in LA so dropping it off is no big deal.

Warren

Gold forum user
I guess no one knows what year S-10 tail shaft is the one the V-6 pick up or the 4 cylinder? Do I gotta call Dr. Junkyard picker Maliburevue...