Sonoma Historics

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
The race weekend kicked off on track with the first practice today, Friday.

4 Tigers and the Sebring Alpine of Steve Alcala. Le Mans Tiger 9 Darrell Mountjoy, Sports Car Forum Tiger driven by John Morton, Tom Sakai's Yellow Tiger and the "Monster Tiger" of Chris Gruys.

I am here with Bonnie helping support Darrell as crew and all the Sunbeams entered. Here are some photos from Thursday and today. Will post more later when I get home.

Rick

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I notice that the Monster Tiger seems to be running its original spec dunlop magnesium wheels. Last photos i saw of it had it running dunlop dirrled alloys (lightweight E-type style)

I know the LM Tigers ran these wheels, and then when they built the monster Tiger it took the wheels, engine etc from the LM car.. are these repro dunlop racing wheels or originals? IIRC when the LM was in Australia they noted the original wheels were suffering from fratigue of the magnesium.. has someone reproduced the dunlops? They look GREAT! :D

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Check out www.generalracing.com/home for a very nice story about John Morton, entitled "A Gentleman and a Driver". The rolling slide show at the top has some beautiful pictures of classic sports and racing cars at the event.

Cheers,

Gene

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
LM Tiger Wheels

Answering Mr. King.

I spoke with some of the people who own these historic cars over the weekend in Sonoma County.

The story goes that with the Le Mans Tiger project in planning that Marcus Chambers? sat down with some Dunlop people and they said they would be able and happy to provide suitable wheels. The resulting cost was high? by 60's standards but nothing now.

These wheels were cast in magnesium. Fast forward about 30+years and the late Dick Barker now owns the "mule" or first Le Mans Tiger built for the press and Le Mans Trials to "qualify" a team entry. Magnesium does not age well. The wheels are not considered road worthy much less race worthy. Dick used one of the spare wheels he got to make a mold to cast new wheels of aluminum. These were presumably passed on when he sold the car to Chris Gruys who had previously owned the #9 LM and the "Monster" Tiger. He now owns the LM Trials "Thunderbolt" as well. This is complicated but Alan Fraser had raced the LM 9 and later transferred many parts of the LM to the production race car known as the "monster" Tiger including the knock off hubs and Dunlap wheels.

So ..... The wheels on the Monster Tiger at Sonoma are ? from Dick Barker or produced later from the molds that were made from original Dunlap Sunbeam Le Mans wheels.

Yet to see light of day... current owner and driver of LM Tiger 9, Darrell Mountjoy, has used virtual technology (3d CAD?) and has some new forged aluminum wheels on contract which were not ready for last weekend.

Talking to one person close to this I was told that only 4 cars should use this unique wheel. The 3 LM Tigers and the Monster Tiger which earned it's reputation kicking butt with the wheels, and aluminum doors trunk and hood of a LM Tiger.

Photo below is LR wheel of the restored Monster Tiger.

Rick

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
More Sonoma Historics Pictures

Steve Alcala restored and owns 43 Sebring Alpine, He also restored #9 and the blue and white Monster Tiger.

Chris Gruys is owner driver of the Monster.

Darrell Mountjoy owns / drives ADU 180B or LM #9

John Morton is driver of the white Sports Car Forum Tiger. Buck and Claudia Trippel owners. That is Claudia removing the tie downs above post. John Morton drove three cars including the Lance Reventlow (sic?) Scarab in that pretty blue with white accents.

Tom Sakai owns and drives the yellow Tiger tailgating the Vette! (Blocked by Corvette). Tom was having fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Answering Mr. King.

I spoke with some of the people who own these historic cars over the weekend in Sonoma County.

The story goes that with the Le Mans Tiger project in planning that Marcus Chambers? sat down with some Dunlop people and they said they would be able and happy to provide suitable wheels. The resulting cost was high? by 60's standards but nothing now.

These wheels were cast in magnesium. Fast forward about 30+years and the late Dick Barker now owns the "mule" or first Le Mans Tiger built for the press and Le Mans Trials to "qualify" a team entry. Magnesium does not age well. The wheels are not considered road worthy much less race worthy. Dick used one of the spare wheels he got to make a mold to cast new wheels of aluminum. These were presumably passed on when he sold the car to Chris Gruys who had previously owned the #9 LM and the "Monster" Tiger. He now owns the LM Trials "Thunderbolt" as well. This is complicated but Alan Fraser had raced the LM 9 and later transferred many parts of the LM to the production race car known as the "monster" Tiger including the knock off hubs and Dunlap wheels.

So ..... The wheels on the Monster Tiger at Sonoma are ? from Dick Barker or produced later from the molds that were made from original Dunlap Sunbeam Le Mans wheels.

Yet to see light of day... current owner and driver of LM Tiger 9, Darrell Mountjoy, has used virtual technology (3d CAD?) and has some new forged aluminum wheels on contract which were not ready for last weekend.

Talking to one person close to this I was told that only 4 cars should use this unique wheel. The 3 LM Tigers and the Monster Tiger which earned it's reputation kicking butt with the wheels, and aluminum doors trunk and hood of a LM Tiger.

Photo below is LR wheel of the restored Monster Tiger.

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for the answer about the Dunlops. I always liked the look of them on the LM Tigers and the monster Tiger. Given they are 15x6.5 (or 6?) im thinking they would make a nice street wheel if they could be had in a bolt on as opposed to the original peg drive knock ons (and heaps of guys are running this size in a panasport these days).

Perhaps a small correction though, while fraser transfered many of the LM parts to the Monster car, the "trunk" (boot for UlK and AUS) would not have been from the LM car as it has the fastback, as for the hood (bonnet) It might have been the one used when raced by Bernard Unnett in the UK after LM.. at hat point he fitteed a scoop and modified the car for 4 x webers.. when the car ran in factory LM spec it had a stock style hood with deflectors for wind and stones.

An amazing looking car, and well done on the wheels to whoever made them.. cant wait to see the LM car with them on will it be at monterye?

Have they contacted Tony Eckford in the UK.. would be nice to see that car racing on them instead of minilites and dunlop square hole LW e-type style wheels.. great to see the Tigers getting back to how they were in period.. albeit it probably better prepared and faster than rootes ever managed :D

segrave

Gold forum user
Staff member
CAT Member
Thanks for the pictures and the info on wheels and ownership.
How did the Tigers do racing ?

Steve

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
How they did

Race results are posted at: http://generalracing.com/participants/race-results

Race 3A on Saturday featured (for Rootes Group people) the Sebring Alpine and Le Mans Tiger. They were gridded near the back and looked and sounded great throughout the race. Darrell had some issues with the Weber carbs which was only 80% fixed. Also his first laps ever at Infinion and he missed the initial practice Friday because the engine ran too ragged to continue. Steve had no problems as far as I know and both cars looked great.

Race 3B on Sunday included the other 3 Tigers. SCF Tiger, Morton driving started 3rd and really pressed the leading '63 327 Vette and a Shelby GT350R for a few laps. They eventually pulled out a gap and John left the E-Type Coupe that was behind him. He finished third. Tom Sakai was clearly having fun and moved up from his starting position ?? places to be held up by a Corvette which used a lot of road. Tom tried a pass on the outside of Turn 4? which didn't work out. He lost some momentum while looking backward down the track but got underway and finished 9th. Chris G. had the challenge of driving a Monster with the brake bias all @&{+& up. The rears were locking up early limiting his ability to really race. Hat's off to him keeping it going at a reasonable pace and on the track.

John Morton also had a good drive in 2B (no rest for him) with the 1958 Chuck Daigh/Lance Reventlow Scarab. Started third and gained the lead up the hill from Turn one. Eventually those cars got past him and he had another fine third place.

Rick

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have a little to add. John Goodman's Cobra started 3rd but blew something that coated John Morton's visor with oil. Goodman immediately withdrew. John then moved up to 3rd where he stayed for the remainder of the race.

Both John and Tom shared the same problem - running out of gas. Even though there were 3 gallons of race gas left in John's Tiger at the end of the race, it started running out of gas in the Carousel turn. (It looks like I need to take a look at the pickups inside the cell.) John decided to "cruise" the last 3 laps, short shifting to conserve fuel. (With the fuel cell we do not have a fuel gauge.) Curiously, Tom Sakai also had the same problem. I believe we actually used 6 gallons. There were about 30 miles of racing plus 5 miles of parade/cool down. The speed for the race averaged nearly 80mph. Overall about 6 MPG.

John reported the Tiger handled fine & that the brakes were solid and consistent through the entire race. Hopefully we'll get that same report in August at Monterey.

bt

segrave

Gold forum user
Staff member
CAT Member
Ran across some pictures at a photo website I visit.There are others as well. They're pretty nice shots and not mine as I wasn't even there. I think the photog is interested in at least a little money. If the car owners want to contact me I'll put you in touch.

Steve