Wanted source for carpets

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The source for carpets at Sunbeam Specialties has died. Rick has no idea when he will be able to get new sets. Classis Sunbeam in NY has sets with heel mats on both sides which isn't right. Prestige Autotrim isn't sure if their kit is MK1 based or for later cars and advised me not to order from them, which I thought was a very bizarre marketing position!! Can't seem to get a hold of Martha... Called MacGregor, he wasn't aware there was a difference in the carpets mk1 vs. later cars, and kept asking which series, as in Alpine. Not a good sign, and he orders them out of the UK... so probably from Prestige...

Anyone got any ideas of where to source a set of carpets for my MK2

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I ordered Tiger luxury wool carpet set thru SunbeamAlpineTigerSpares.co.uk which looks good and simple test fit seems good. Did not install yet, still doing pre-paint prep work on car.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I ordered Tiger luxury wool carpet set thru SunbeamAlpineTigerSpares.co.uk which looks good and simple test fit seems good. Did not install yet, still doing pre-paint prep work on car.
says 2-3 months lead time. how long did it take for your order?

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If you can't find a maker, how about sourcing the raw materials, making patterns and have an upholstery shop make them up? I would think the wool carpet, padding and vinyl for the borders shouldn't be too hard to find but getting the correct vinyl for the heel mat might be more challenging. There are no molded sections, everything is flat so that just means cutting and stitching.
I know my upholstery guy would do a great job of it.
I was fortunate to get what must have been one of the last MKI sets from SS and am in the process of installing it so right now I am immersed in the details of Tiger carpets.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
If you can't find a maker, how about sourcing the raw materials, making patterns and have an upholstery shop make them up? I would think the wool carpet, padding and vinyl for the borders shouldn't be too hard to find but getting the correct vinyl for the heel mat might be more challenging. There are no molded sections, everything is flat so that just means cutting and stitching.
I know my upholstery guy would do a great job of it.
I was fortunate to get what must have been one of the last MKI sets from SS and am in the process of installing it so right now I am immersed in the details of Tiger carpets.
nearest upholstery shop over 200 miles away...
I bought a carpet set for my Lotus Europa from Automat in N Y. https://www.autointeriors.biz/Carpeting/2006_AutoMat_Carpet_PDFs/2006_AutoMat_Import_Carpets.pdf
It was excellent. They have been in business since 1956.
They have Sunbeam Tiger carpets.
I just installed the carpet set from SS and although it fit well, there was some binding which needed restitching. There was none of that from Automat.
looked at the automat site. I'll have to call them as they list one carpet set for all tigers and the Mk1a and Mk2 are different from the Mk1.

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I think it was about 6 weeks, came fairly quick - they have made when ordered I was told (i.e. they do not keep in stock)

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I kept the original carpet from my 1a which may help you wherever you were going to buy from.

1949FL

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I have had really good luck with this UK company. Make sure they deduct the VAT tax. Go to: https://sunbeamcarparts.co.uk/
I think they can provide assistance. You can purchase original type carpet or budget stuff, depending on what your finish is desired. I have purchased many parts from them, however not carpet as my Mark 1a has a Martha Wheat (Christenson) interior.
Jim

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I have had really good luck with this UK company. Make sure they deduct the VAT tax. Go to: https://sunbeamcarparts.co.uk/
I think they can provide assistance. You can purchase original type carpet or budget stuff, depending on what your finish is desired. I have purchased many parts from them, however not carpet as my Mark 1a has a Martha Wheat (Christenson) interior.
Jim
still trying to get a response from Martha....

catatonic

Bronze forum user
Is Martha still in the business of making Tiger interiors? Does she produce all of the interior pieces?