Speedometer cable routing OEM

stevenl

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Would anyone have information regarding the routing of the speedometer cable, in particular from the transmission cable attachment to leading under the shifter rod lobes, my second gear and third gear seems to be hitting the cable sometimes causing the transmission not to shift into gear as well as wearing on the cable itself. My first post would be grateful for any response.

KenF

Gold forum user
Welcome to the site! I stuck my iPhone up under mine to try to get a shot. Not sure what that ring is on the cable, something I need to take a closer look at.

Ken

IMG_6475.JPG

stevenl

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Thanks Ken f, your pic tells me a lot, nice to have this kind of resource at hand.

stevenl

Silver forum user
CAT Member
What would be the correct type of shifter rebuilt kit for my 66', detents, springs rubber, shifter mounting bolts
You can order a shifter rebuild kit, get the cheaper kit without the rubber isolators around the bolts since the Tiger uses a solid shift lever mount.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-d...out-bolts-mustang-4-speed-1965-1968/p/HW3273/

They aren't hard to rebuild and adjust, just check for worn shims and levers. Usually a good cleaning and greasing does the trick. Any old Mustang / Ford shop can also do it.

ABSunbeams

Gold forum user
1BE6924E-DF5B-424A-9C9E-89D2B865D0DA.jpeg
Is anyone familiar with this type of cable. As you can see it is missing the end with the gear attachment. They are brand new, marked as “Tiger speedometer cable” has the hold down on the trans end of the cable but no gear.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
View attachment 13317Is anyone familiar with this type of cable. As you can see it is missing the end with the gear attachment. They are brand new, marked as “Tiger speedometer cable” has the hold down on the trans end of the cable but no gear.
YUP, once upon a time there was this end piece that held the driven gear w/clip. The cable is correct if you have the other part. The later cables are one piece ends all inclusive with an "O" ring seal.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks, would you know if that’s a Ford part from earlier pre-65 or some other mfg?
Al
I have seen them in T-10's & earlier Tiger top loaders. I'm pretty sure they were unique to the Left Hand out-feed on the tailshafts. The Ford obsolete books should have them along with any other Manufacturer that used a T-10. Finding one could take a while, but they are out there.

ABSunbeams

Gold forum user
Thanks, now the search is on for the other driven gear housing. Any clue who still carries them?

ABSunbeams

Gold forum user
Mystery solved, turns out it fits a MK2. Joe Ciapetti showed me one that was on his MK2 that matched. Checked mine and found the same head in the trans. However cable is 90” compared to the stock 76”. With 107K on the old cable and some breaks decided to change it out. No more fluctuation even up to 100mph (on the lift)

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My original speedometer cable finally fell off the perch. Should this new style cable insert into the top loader. Seems like it's bottoming out before going in. Clearly larger but thought someone has some experience swapping out on a MKII. Don't think the reverse switch is stopping it 🤔 the driven gear didn't pull out with the old cable so maybe that's what's impeding the new cable going in?

PXL_20220608_161201632.jpg

Last edited:

ABSunbeams

Gold forum user
I believe I still have the other. Routed it along the steering column and made a more gradual bend. Since I couldn’t find a replacement this one worked. Came from Bill Jennings estate sale in Mn have no idea where he might have got it from Was tagged as Mk2.
As stated “However cable is 90” compared to the stock 76”.