Steering Column Rubber Bung Size

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I am rebuilding my steering column and there does not seem to be a rubber bung in the shaft to keep the expanding adjuster from falling into the shaft. Does anyone know what this bung is or looks like. Could I use a rubber stopper?

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
A27D8014-88B9-4498-A58A-43560C173F5E.jpeg

Warren

Gold forum user
I've used a cut piece of plastic from. Funny I have the plastic piece sitting on the table now.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The manual shows and calls out a rubber bung.
The Rootes Parts Manual Supplement for the Tiger does not list any rubber bung for keeping the inner column extension shaft (the adjuster) from sliding down the column. The photo Tony Butler posted matches what my Tiger had when I got it in 1970. It is the nylon clip which prevents that shaft from going down inside the upper column. I could be wrong, but believe part number 15 on the diagram is that nylon clip.

Tiger Steering Column Diagram.JPG

Tiger Steering Column Parts List.JPG

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have the manual in pdf from and am trying to attach. I hope it is readable. Anyway, I think what I am talking about is #11, the plug or in the manual, #5, it is called the rubber bung.

Attachments

• steering column manual.pdf
    116.9 KB · Views: 74

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I have the manual in pdf from and am trying to attach. I hope it is readable. Anyway, I think what I am talking about is #11, the plug or in the manual, #5, it is called the rubber bung.
The rubber bung acts as a cushion when the steering shaft is retracted fully so it does not slam metal to metal and would give some kind of protection to the driver in case of an accident It does not stop the shaft from dropping down the steering tube, the plastic c clip does that
5 is the rubber bung and 11 is the plastic c clip

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I am rebuilding my steering column and there does not seem to be a rubber bung in the shaft to keep the expanding adjuster from falling into the shaft. Does anyone know what this bung is or looks like. Could I use a rubber stopper?
The whole shaft would drop into the steering tube ,without the plastic c clip on the shaft part number 3

Last edited:

Warren

Gold forum user
I've taken a couple off original car's so I'd have to agree with Tony and Dave.
I used a plastic circle cut out of a cool whip plastic lid. As for the Bung haven't gotten down that :)
I suppose it's there to keep things from sticking or lessen vibration. I let a friend drive my car and I was shocked when he beat the center of the steering wheel to get the expansion wedge to release. Usually it only comes loose after a big pot hole concussion. 19 68 marked the NHTSA for a steering column with a collapsible feature along with high back seats, some dash padding and others.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I've often wondered how when Sunbeam switched to the fastbacks in 1968 here in the states why they did not use a collapsible or adjustable steering column. The outer tube appears to be the same as earlier cars but the column was longer. They did switch to high back seats versus the low back seats used in other countries along with shoulder belts and a dished steering wheel with a large center pad. The dash is a metal stamping with maybe 1/4" of hard foam and a moulded vinyl covering. The horn button is the black knob on the directional switch.
PTDC0161.JPG

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
It cannot slide all the way down the column. but will slide out of view when the inner part of the column is completely extended. all you have to do is push the inner column all the way home (in) and the part that locks the shaft will appear...