Steering Wheel Nut / Column Thread Size

lockfish

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I have damaged threads on my steering column where the steering wheel nut threads on (65 Tiger). It appears to be a 9/16" w/ very fine thread. Can anyone confirm the size so I can buy the correct tap and die? Thanks

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Steering wheel nut

One way you can find the thread pitch is to go to a machine shop or tool rental place and ask if you can borrow or rent a thread gauge and measure a portion of good threads you have on the shaft or if the nut isn’t too bad take it in with you and have the machine shop double check. They can either clean up the threads or you will know what the pitch is so you can get the particular tap or die. Barring that maybe someone on this site knows.......
Brian

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Nuts & Threads

I have damaged threads on my steering column where the steering wheel nut threads on (65 Tiger). It appears to be a 9/16" w/ very fine thread. Can anyone confirm the size so I can buy the correct tap and die? Thanks

Rick has the nuts at S.S. You can ask if he knows the size ?

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I just popped mine off (7/8" deep socket ) to have a look and it appears to be about 9/16" but it's definitely finer thread than my 9/16" UNF tap :eek:

lockfish

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I counted the threads and it appears to by 9/16"-28. Probably hard to find that tap and die.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thread Count ?

I counted the threads and it appears to by 9/16"-28. Probably hard to find that tap and die.

In San Diego at the moment and just a couple miles from Smitty's Sunbeam Palace. Will drop in for a confirmation of the thread count & size. I suspect Brit bicycle 26 tpi threading ?

lockfish

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Problem Solved

I found a 9/16-28 tap and die set locally and both sets of threads are good again. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Now, I need some help with tearing down, cleaning bearings and reassembly of the steering column. There is a 1997 article by Jim Leach on TEAE, but it would be nice if someone had a procedure with pictures.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Tiny balls

I found a 9/16-28 tap and die set locally and both sets of threads are good again. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Now, I need some help with tearing down, cleaning bearings and reassembly of the steering column. There is a 1997 article by Jim Leach on TEAE, but it would be nice if someone had a procedure with pictures.

A couple of cautions: The small valve spring on the end of the shaft applying tension is a bit of a bear to compress and free the circlip. The circlip groove is very shallow and requires deep cleaning pre-assembly. Pre-soaking the end of the shaft may or may not assist in getting the bearing to move without separating and dropping the 21 balls on the floor (1/8" at hardware store). If the inner & outer bearing shells are not too crusty, they are reusable. Battery terminal pads make great grease protectors. It's a patience and careful movements process.