Story of my Tigers

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I read this section a lot but have never added my tale to it. As a kid in the 70's I had a paper route, and on it there were 2 houses with cool cars--1 a 260 Cobra and the other a Tiger. Since Cobras were worth about $10k, I knew it was way out of my reach, so I focused on the Tiger.
I became good friends (still to this day) with the Tiger owner, and one day I found an Alpinre and bought it. While the Alpine was a fun car, it was not a Tiger, so the search continued.
In the early 80's I found a Tiger for sale in the bay area, so we went to look at it, rented a trailer and brought it home--a whopping $900 including the hardtop. I tinkered with the car for several years, but never actually driving it. It had the firewall cut out for webers, flared fenders, fat slot mags--it was awesome. I eventualy sold it when I found a "better" Tiger, bought it and started the mods. I ended up painting it Porsche Raspberry which ruffled a few feathers when I showed up at Tiger events. I had this car for about 15 years. In the meantime I bought my wife her own Tiger which she had a blast in.
In the early 2000's I got the bug again and purchased a beautiful restored Tiger out of Colorado, enjoyed the car for about 2 years but soon found out a wife and 2 kids don't fit well in it, so again I sold another Tiger, this time to Carroll Shelby for his wife Cleo--so I knew it was going to a good home.
So now this brings me to my current Tiger--I found this car in the North Lake Tahoe area last year. Mechanically it is great, but the body needed some attention. It currently resides at my buddies paint shop, and I am desperately trying to decide on a color--probably the hardest part of a restoration for me.
This is my tale of 5 Tigers, I have had a blast with them and hopefully this is the last one I will buy.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Got the Tiger back from it's 7 month body shop prison term, spent the day re-assembling it. So far so good, but boy am I sore, must be getting old.....:eek:

25ge2du.jpg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It's looking good.. step by step.. take your time and be patient.. dont scratch the new paint! :)

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Thanks. I have been going to the shop lately and slowly putting items on, spend close to 30 hours there starting with jacking it up and detailing the undercarrage. A lot of time was spent looking for misc screws and nuts/bolts. I separated all the hardware that I took off, the items they took off they just threw all in one pile, ugh.....

Warren

Gold forum user
Bright Side

They could have crammed the bolts in where ever they felt like they fit or used close metric ones like they did on my car. There is a nice nut and bolt list on Tigers utd. site I think. It is kind of amazing how they decided to use 1/4 26 and 1/4 28 in the same car as well as the other oddball fastener here and there. It can be really frustrating stay cool there in central Cali. and get er done.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Thanks Warren, I gave up today after it got to be in the mid 90's, whew. The Cobra scoop is rivoted on, thought about using screws but I wanted the lowest attachment piece I could get. Got the brake lights working, not sure how but I went through all the wires and pulled the bulbs, next thing I knew they were working, yaaaa.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I finally got ALL the exterior lights and signals working, boy does that feel good. I was going to take it out this weekend but they are predicting 105F saturday, I'll pass on the convertible.

steven

Gold forum user
I finally got ALL the exterior lights and signals working, boy does that feel good. I was going to take it out this weekend but they are predicting 105F saturday, I'll pass on the convertible.

Part of owning a convertable, braving the heat & the cold to enjoy the run. After saying that, I have fitted our hardtop (its winter here) so the lady will come on outings. It (the hardtop) has been sitting in the top of the shed for at least 3 years. :D

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
When I was younger I LOVED the top down driving experience, as I have gotten older (and wiser) I choose my outings carefully.. :)
Last summer we drove with the hardtop on, I think it was hotter than if it were off.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Brisk is heavenly

Being a Nor'east breed, very late autumn with the top down and a selection of clothing options in the boot is heartwarming. A bit of flannel on the arms & shoulders while we scatter the fallen leaves in the corners. There is a small time-frame window between the Fall tourists and the ski bums when the roads are still salt free and there's space to change a few gears with a firm hand and let the Tiger be a Tiger. Life can be good . . . . . .

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I bet the drive in the fall is beautiful up your way. I like Feb/March and then Oct/Nov around here, or summer evenings. The day is just too hot and sunny, it will cook what little gray matter I have left. :rolleyes:

steven

Gold forum user
Well down under it gets down to 7C at night and a balmy 22C during the day. However because it has never snowed in this part of the world, 7C brings on the jumpers. We are going to a Jumpers & Jazz weekend in a couple of weeks Lovley.:)

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Worked on the car for another 8 hours today, I am pooped. Tomorrow night is the cars debut, there is a pre-concours show that I am going to, I'll post a few pics afterwards.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Well down under it gets down to 7C at night and a balmy 22C during the day. However because it has never snowed in this part of the world, 7C brings on the jumpers. We are going to a Jumpers & Jazz weekend in a couple of weeks Lovley.:)

It was funny watching the northerners at the national.. the -1c on the last night gave them a nice send off...

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
It has been a mad thrash the last week but I think I have it almost all together, here it was tonight.
rbxs2r.jpg