T-5 & 2:88s ??

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
With stock 2.88 gears & 22.5" diameter 60 series tires on original 13" LAT wheels, would a warmed over 289 (under 300 hp) run well on the highway with a .82 O.D. 5-spd? Calculated RPM at 70mph is around 3K in 4th gear & 2.4K in 5th as far as I can figure. My question is how many 5-spd owners run stock 2.88 gears & are you happy with the driveablilty on the highway? Someone told me that a small block would not have enough torque at less than 3K (stock Tiger rpm at 70 mph) to run well. What are your opinions?
Thanks!

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Someone told me that a small block would not have enough torque at less than 3K (stock Tiger rpm at 70 mph) to run well. What are your opinions?
Thanks!

I do not see how they can make such a statement with any credibility without knowing what the torque curve of the motor looks like. Further, as our fellow "at the beach" forum member once observed here, it only takes about 40 hp to maintain a steady cruise speed on the highway under level road conditions. The rest of hp being made is just making heat. Or words to that effect.

Even if the torque of a particular motor at 2K rpm will not produce enough acceleration one would like in a passing situation, there is nothing preventing a competent driver from downshifting from OD to 4th to get higher up on the torque curve. Maybe the person making the comment was more used to driving an automatic trans car that would not downshift out of OD on its own.

Just my opinion.

Gene

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
My last Tiger and a 67 Mustang both had 5 speeds and turned around 2000 rpm at 70, they were perfect. If you need torque then downshift to fourth.

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have a street Tiger with a similar warmed up 289 with a T-5 with a .62 5th gear.

It has 2.88s, 185 70 13 tires.

It performs fine in 5th at highway speeds. However when I have to slow to 55 it gets boggy and I have to downshift.

Performance and mileage are excellent.

With a .82 OD you might not need to downshift until 50 - just a guess.

bt

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
A stock tiger will pull like a train at 2200rpm.. a warmed over tiger might have the torque a little higher up the rev scale.. but with a .82 OD i cant see any healthy tiger struggling... a good test with your car.. get the car rolling in top gear, have it running at 1800 rpm.. put your foot down.. if it pulls away nicely that a good indication that you would be fine.