The fun begins-Bodywork style

Danno66

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Finally got my Tiger to a bodyshop to repair crash damage done last October. Sadly ghosted by the first shop, wasting 4 months. But it has worked out far better, a true classic car restoration shop…one car at a time. Now to wait for the order from Sunbeam Specialties to hit the doorstep and them to the shop for re-assembly.
By the way, the hood is at home, don’t need and sanding dust on the carbon fiber hood!

IMG_2682.jpeg

IMG_2683.jpeg

Danno66

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Update time. After looking over the car with body man, I decided to do a full paint job instead of trying to just patch the corner. So, a large order to Sunbeam Specialties for seals and trim pieces. Then I got carried away and also ordered all new rubbers for my hardtop as well. As I write this, car is on frame rack, stripped and being pulled to see where it goes.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
your shop is steering you in the correct direction... there would be little possibility of a good color match or blend doing a partial repaint.

Agent 861

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Just out of interest whats a really good paint job worth in the States -My son is looking at painting my Alpine which he ""inherited ""(ie stole) when I brought the Tiger . He's looking at prices equivalent to $7000 US.
He's talked about doing the prep himself but most painters prefer to do it themselves it seems .

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Just out of interest whats a really good paint job worth in the States -My son is looking at painting my Alpine which he ""inherited ""(ie stole) when I brought the Tiger . He's looking at prices equivalent to $7000 US.
He's talked about doing the prep himself but most painters prefer to do it themselves it seems .
$7000 barely buys materials... quality ones anyway. I have a Mk1 in the shop that is Carnival red. The color, catalyst and reducer will cost about $4K for 2 gallons. (depends on color, black is cheap, red is the most expensive) Primers, seam sealer and undercoat materials will add at least $1500-2000. Then there is paint removal (blasting or dipping) rust repair, bodywork and all of the prep.. Last one out of here was near $15K.

I use only PPG materials... Concept for single stage solid colors and PPG's basecoat/clearcoat system for metallics. It's even more work to do something in base/clear as you are essentially painting the car 4 times.

I just painted my own Mk2 in polar white. The color, catalyst and reducer was right at $3K. As it's mine, I didn't count all my labor, and I had the primer (hi build and epoxy) on hand... so these were donated as well. Undercoat was $300 for the type I use. I had my car dipped ($4K plus), just had one sandblasted... that I should have probably dipped and it was $1500.

I won't paint a car someone else has prepped... Nothing personal, but as a painter I cannot know how skilled the owner is/was.. If the paint falls off the car... Who gets the blame? Proper prep is 90% of refinishing a car.

Painting a car properly is NOT cheap, period. I have had people say to me, "Geez, I could have Maaco paint it for $800". I tell them... "if you can't tell the difference, take it there".

I simply do not have the time to continually explain why quality products and quality work costs more.
P5011320.JPG

Agent 861

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Thanks -I agree the paint job is what everyone sees and you get what you pay for. He thought the price was expensive but I thought it was to cheap. I’m still astonished at the price of the paint.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Thanks -I agree the paint job is what everyone sees and you get what you pay for. He thought the price was expensive but I thought it was to cheap. I’m still astonished at the price of the paint.
In 40 years I have watched the price of paint steadily increase... somethings I think it increases by the day! It is ridiculous. Cheaper paints can be bought, but the color holdout and the ratio of pigments to clear makes them poor choices for anything other than production work

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Age related, but my first full prep & paint on a Tiger using cellulose enamels was $600 . Considered high for the car size at the time. We just ran an S2 thru the shop and the complete paint waiting for wet scratch& buff was $17K after all the welding & shaping repairs. Saving history is not for budget wallets.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Age related, but my first full prep & paint on a Tiger using cellulose enamels was $600 . Considered high for the car size at the time. We just ran an S2 thru the shop and the complete paint waiting for wet scratch& buff was $17K after all the welding & shaping repairs. Saving history is not for budget wallets.
restoration is not for the faint of heart, or weak checkbook

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
40+ years ago... I had my first Black Tiger painted.

I stripped off the trim and did a majority of the wet sanding.

The neighbor finished the prep and shot it with R-M enamel.

Total cost: $100...them GOOD OLD days...

DW

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
restoration is not for the faint of heart, or weak checkbook
We have some shops in this area including one that restores mid 50's T Birds and if someone asks "how much? " the shop usually tells them they can't afford them doing the work.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
40+ years ago... I had my first Black Tiger painted.

I stripped off the trim and did a majority of the wet sanding.

The neighbor finished the prep and shot it with R-M enamel.

Total cost: $100...them GOOD OLD days...

DW
In early 71, I had the Tiger in my avatar painted that color. Earl Scheib was $29.95, but I splurged and went to 1-Day and spent $69.95! What a difference the extra $40 made!

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
In early 71, I had the Tiger in my avatar painted that color. Earl Scheib was $29.95, but I splurged and went to 1-Day and spent $69.95! What a difference the extra $40 made!
A friend of my older brother had his car (not a Tiger) painted at Earl Schieb's, somewhere around 1965. First time I ever saw the chrome script painted, with overspray on the tires and hub caps.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
A friend of my older brother had his car (not a Tiger) painted at Earl Schieb's, somewhere around 1965. First time I ever saw the chrome script painted, with overspray on the tires and hub caps.
Now that’s what is called a custom paint job !

Danno66

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My initial Tiger story was a co-worker who had one. I had a gallon of Candy Apple Red and a gallon of the gold base coat that I did not use, not enough to do a good job on my GTO. So, being the nice guy I was back then, I gave him the paint to use on the Tiger when he re-did the body. I moved on and never saw the results. This will be a better quality paint job than the last, too quick and too thick.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I had a gallon of Candy Apple Red and a gallon of the gold base coat that I did not use, not enough to do a good job on my GTO. So, being the nice guy I was back then, I gave him the paint to use on the Tiger when he re-did the body.
Sounds like a cool color - Candy Golden Apple!

Danno66

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bodywork update time for the group. I visited today to do the finals test fit of the LAT style hood project. And caught up on the progress. New clip and valance installed, original metal used as much as possible. Good work takes time, I saw one if his other projects going back together, 67 Mustang Fastback, and I have no worries about the quality of the final work.

IMG_2875.jpeg

IMG_2874.jpeg

IMG_2876.jpeg

IMG_2877.jpeg

unbeam

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Great progress. ls he flanging the original sheetmetal on the rear quarter, then welding the punched holes on the patch, or perhaps using structural adhesive? And maybe butt welding the rear valence, at least the passenger side??

Danno66

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Great progress. ls he flanging the original sheetmetal on the rear quarter, then welding the punched holes on the patch, or perhaps using structural adhesive? And maybe butt welding the rear valence, at least the passenger side??
Sheet metal will be flush welded, there is a backing plate inside for now. No adhesives used. He’s busy hammering out the bumper mount area and trunk lower inner lip. Trunk latch alignment also.