Tiger For Sale at HEMMINGS site

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
NOT a Tiger... no spare tire bung, no battery hold down ears, completely bogus JAL number, battery is in an Alpine box..... no mounts for expansion tank, no dent for generator, no provision for booster mounting, no rivnuts for fan shroud. most definitely an Alpine

KenF

Gold forum user
How in the world did it get through a successful TAC ?

https://www.frankscarbarn.com/vehicles/131/1965-sunbeam-tiger

B9470762.jpg

Last edited:

RIX260

Gold forum user
CAT Member
NOT a Tiger... no spare tire bung, no battery hold down ears, completely bogus JAL number, battery is in an Alpine box..... no mounts for expansion tank, no dent for generator, no provision for booster mounting, no rivnuts for fan shroud. most definitely an Alpine
Thanks Sean. Your expertise is appreciated. There is no way I can find to comment on the HEMMINGS site without registering to bid. There has been no Seller response to questions about a TAC. Red flags everywhere.

Rick

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I have absolutely no idea, but a lot of time has passed since 2006 so it could have been rebodied during that time, or the Tac inspectors have no business certifying Tiger. What I have yet to see is a picture of the TAC sticker affixed to the car. Without the sticker, the certificate is absolutely worthless.

you can clearly see the Alpine battery box in the pics on the website for Frank's car barn.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Definitely an extensive project car for sure. There's a couple of places I would stick my grubby mitts before passing judgement, BUT, I'm leaning toward a re-bodied set of TAGs.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
This car has been discussed in another forum at length

@Joel Griffith had owned it at one point and iirc said the car had been re-bodied.

I suspect the TAC predates the change. Though it is interesting that the TAC does note the replacement JAL

RIX260

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have absolutely no idea, but a lot of time has passed since 2006 so it could have been rebodied during that time, or the Tac inspectors have no business certifying Tiger. What I have yet to see is a picture of the TAC sticker affixed to the car. Without the sticker, the certificate is absolutely worthless.

you can clearly see the Alpine battery box in the pics on the website for Frank's car barn.
Are the TAC Inspectors still available? They might remember this car, or not. Can the certificate be authenticated?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Are the TAC Inspectors still available? They might remember this car, or not. Can the certificate be authenticated?
Yes.... The certificate is only part of the verification....the other part is the tamper proof sticker applied when it passes.... Be interesting to see if that's still on the car

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I want everybody to understand that I'm not wanting to argue about what can be done but common sense would tell you that the sticker could be moved without touching it. Just as the pieces welded on by Jenson could be transferred without touching the Jenson welds. No different than installing a front or rear clip, frame rails, etc. If any owners here have ever had a shop do a restoration then they know you pay an hourly rate plus parts and supplies for doing the job. Especially if cost is not a concern. Wha's a few more hours if the shop knows what they're doing.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I would say you might be able to ask them if you were to attend a TE/AE United such as the one in Ky. in a few weeks.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Just got a reply from the vendor. He is not aware of a TAC sticker on the body, I told him where to look, we'll see.

Bryan

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Tell me this-what is holding the lower a-arms to the cross member- I don't see the lower hardware welding??

Last edited:

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just got a reply from the vendor. He is not aware of a TAC sticker on the body, I told him where to look, we'll see.
Sean,
It is and has always been a real Tiger. If you were to talk to Joel then he could fill you in on what was done to it and the reasons for doing it.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
This car has been discussed in another forum at length

@Joel Griffith had owned it at one point and iirc said the car had been re-bodied.

I suspect the TAC predates the change. Though it is interesting that the TAC does note the replacement JAL
I think it had panels replaced at some time as well as having a real good race car fabricator do some work to it.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Panels are one thing... and I have zero issue with that. An Alpine is merely a source for Tiger parts, I have chopped up several for parts to rebuild Tigers. Hell, you chopped up one to rebuild your Harrington. What I do have issues with are the myriad things missing in the engine bay... riv-nuts for the fan shroud, no expansion tank mounts, no brake booster mount, no dent for a generator... and that's just what I can see. In the boot, there's no spare tire mount, no battery hold down ears and no holes for the wood battery spacer... again, just what I can see.

Add to that the bogus JAL tag and I am beyond suspicious. It also has no TAC sticker, at least I have not seen it yet and I have asked the vendor specifically about it. He didn't even know what I was talking about.. If this was a car owned by an even halfway self-aware owner, why wouldn't he transfer bits to the new replacement parts?? Of course, the biggest red flag is the battery box... It is impossible to disguise the removal of an Alpine battery box as the Tiger shell didn't have one fit/installed from the beginning. It was omitted from the shell by pressed steel.

You're going to have a really hard time explaining to me why anyone with half a brain would ever install one into a genuine Tiger shell... It gets in the way of the exhaust and provides a location for the fuel pump....

Tigers are NOT the same as Alpines... I do not care what you think. They started on different lines at Pressed Steel. A Tiger shell was pre-ordained to go to Jenson from the get go... That's why they have SAL and JAL tags. (applied by Pressed Steel)

Norm Miller used to have a saying about cars with bogus tags... "Nice collection of parts you have there"

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Panels are one thing... and I have zero issue with that. An Alpine is merely a source for Tiger parts, I have chopped up several for parts to rebuild Tigers. Hell, you chopped up one to rebuild your Harrington. What I do have issues with are the myriad things missing in the engine bay... riv-nuts for the fan shroud, no expansion tank mounts, no brake booster mount, no dent for a generator... and that's just what I can see. In the boot, there's no spare tire mount, no battery hold down ears and no holes for the wood battery spacer... again, just what I can see.

Add to that the bogus JAL tag and I am beyond suspicious. It also has no TAC sticker, at least I have not seen it yet and I have asked the vendor specifically about it. He didn't even know what I was talking about.. If this was a car owned by an even halfway self-aware owner, why wouldn't he transfer bits to the new replacement parts?? Of course, the biggest red flag is the battery box... It is impossible to disguise the removal of an Alpine battery box as the Tiger shell didn't have one fit/installed from the beginning. It was omitted from the shell by pressed steel.

You're going to have a really hard time explaining to me why anyone with half a brain would ever install one into a genuine Tiger shell... It gets in the way of the exhaust and provides a location for the fuel pump....

Tigers are NOT the same as Alpines... I do not care what you think. They started on different lines at Pressed Steel. A Tiger shell was pre-ordained to go to Jenson from the get go... That's why they have SAL and JAL tags. (applied by Pressed Steel)

Norm Miller used to have a saying about cars with bogus tags... "Nice collection of parts you have there"
You and others really don't have a clue concerning my cars nor do you know anything about the Tiger you are referring to. You just speculate. I know some of the story behind the white Tiger you are running down because I've heard it first hand. I mentioned that earlier. It was and still is a Tiger. You need to join the Sunbeam clubs and attend the events as well as show up at Brit shows around the country as the wife and I do and see with your own eyes what has been done to Tigers and Alpines. FYI, I drove Tigers long before you and others probably started working on cars.

Bryan

Gold forum user
CAT Member
someone needs a time out- also you can put lipstick on a pig but you still have a pig- chill