Tigers United 2024 - Big Bear

Added to Calendar: 06-17-24, 06-18-24, 06-19-24, 06-20-24, 06-21-24

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Tigers United 2024 – Big Bear

This is a rehash of Travis' original post (below) but we'll "sticky" this so his important information will be displayed at the top of the page
This will be a weekday event! Arrival on Monday June 17 and check out on Friday June 21.
The host hotel will be Holiday Inn’s “the Lodge at Big Bear Lake” located at 40650 Village Drive in Big
Bear Lake, CA 92315. CAT has blocked 50 rooms so those will go quickly. We suggest booking your
room ASAP as the hotel tells us they expect to be quite busy that time of year
and rooms are already quickly being reserved.
note: as of 11/2 The hotel is having a computer problem processing our Tigers United reservations. We'll let you know once it is fixed.
note: as of 11/3 "Mahalia" at the front desk has been able to process Tigers United reservations.
note: as of 11/4 We just made our reservation this afternoon without any problems by calling the hotel's desk directly at the number below.
note: as of 11/14 About 1/4 of the rooms have already been reserved. It appears that some are still having problems getting reservations.
Apparently those dealing with Mahalia, who works the hotel's front desk starting at 3pm Tuesday through Saturday, have been quite successful.

The Tigers United group rate is $140 plus taxes.
You can make your reservation through the hotel’s desk (909) 866-3121

The schedule looks like this:

Monday: Arrival, Registration, Tech, Welcome Dinner
Tuesday: Rally & Quiz
Wednesday: Autocross at Big Bear Airport, forest fires permitting
Thursday: Concours, Awards Banquet
Friday: Check out and homeward bound
Event Pricing and Registration are still TBD.
Chairs Travis and Laurie Compton plan to display Sunbeam race cars in front of the hotel and are asking owners to help make this happen.

Buck
Admin

Attachments

• TIgers United XLIII Classes.pdf
    540.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My guess is that most of the owners are over 60!
There was a discussion at the TE/AE United in September between several members concerning the average age of attendees and owners. The United was 39 years for me and the wife without missing a United. We've also attended all the SUNI events. Many of the folks have been to more than us. It's amazing how many members are now retired so you're probably correct in saying many owners may be over 60. My wife once told someone that she remembers when I would run and jump over the door and slide down into the seat but it now takes me five minutes to get in the car.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
When I first got started with the Healeys in the early 80's I was always the youngest person in the room.... somehow, it seems, I still am!

mgmike69

Bronze forum user
Tigers United 2024 – Big Bear

This is a rehash of Travis' original post (below) but we'll "sticky" this so his important information will be displayed at the top of the page
This will be a weekday event! Arrival on Monday June 17 and check out on Friday June 21.
The host hotel will be Holiday Inn’s “the Lodge at Big Bear Lake” located at 40650 Village Drive in Big
Bear Lake, CA 92315. CAT has blocked 50 rooms so those will go quickly. We suggest booking your
room ASAP as the hotel tells us they expect to be quite busy that time of year
and rooms are already quickly being reserved.
note: as of 11/2 The hotel is having a computer problem processing our Tigers United reservations. We'll let you know once it is fixed.
note: as of 11/3 "Mahalia" at the front desk has been able to process Tigers United reservations.
note: as of 11/4 We just made our reservation this afternoon without any problems by calling the hotel's desk directly at the number below.
note: as of 11/14 About 1/4 of the rooms have already been reserved. It appears that some are still having problems getting reservations.
Apparently those dealing with Mahalia, who works the hotel's front desk starting at 3pm Tuesday through Saturday, have been quite successful.

The Tigers United group rate is $140 plus taxes.
You can make your reservation through the hotel’s desk (909) 866-3121

The schedule looks like this:

Monday: Arrival, Registration, Tech, Welcome Dinner
Tuesday: Rally & Quiz
Wednesday: Autocross at Big Bear Airport, forest fires permitting
Thursday: Concours, Awards Banquet
Friday: Check out and homeward bound
Event Pricing and Registration are still TBD.
Chairs Travis and Laurie Compton plan to display Sunbeam race cars in front of the hotel and are asking owners to help make this happen.

Buck
Admin
Just for my knowledge.Why is this event always scheduled as a week day event.Makes it difficult for some of us working stiffs

Maliburevue

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just for my knowledge.Why is this event always scheduled as a week day event.Makes it difficult for some of us working stiffs
I've always thought TU should be Thursday through Saturday to allow for working stiffs to not miss too many days of work and to permit return travel on Sundays.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The Healey clubs generally have a late Thursday arrival and a full schedule of events Friday through Sunday, going home on Monday.... This makes it easier for people who still have to work for a living and their wives who are generally bored to tears with a bunch of guys obsessed with their cars! Of course, if you are any distance away, travel time is going to add more days. We had a meet in Breckenridge, Co. in 1992. I had to take my full 2 weeks time for the year off to make the drive and attend the meet as I live in Washington state. The same when the meet was in S. Lake Tahoe in 1991....

That was back when I could comfortably drive to a meet. Now at 62, with 8 back surgeries... that's not possible.. I generally attend meets in NW Canada, Washington and Oregon. If it's much further away and I really want to go... I'll fly and leave the car at home. I still judge concours for the Healey club when it's close enough to travel. Getting old sucks!

Danno66

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I know part of the reason is week time rates are lower, and rooms available. Vacation areas do jack rates for weekends. Easier to book a block of rooms.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I've always thought TU should be Thursday through Saturday to allow for working stiffs to not miss too many days of work and to permit return travel on Sundays.
It's been said that over the course of a year there are weekends that there are 100,000 people in the surrounding area. The city of Big Bear Lake has a population of just over 5000 people. That could make it tough to put on an event like the TU on a weekend.