Tigers

grelley

Silver forum user
Hi, I have recently imported into New Zealand, two Sunbeam Tigers from LA, both from the same owner. The first car I received is a very standard 2 owner 1A which has no modifications at all. I have been using this car quite regularly for trips and am greatly enjoying it. On a recent trip it returned 26 miles per imperial gallon, cruising mostly at 60-65 mph. The other car is a partially finished project car to which the previous owner has fitted a modified 289 block (302 +30) with GT40 heads, allow manifold, 4 barrel, and roller rockers and cams. It has a T5 gearbox and heavy duty front & rear suspension. I have started completing the job, and now have the engine running after a small glitch with low oil pressure. I have ordered a complete interior kit which is on its way, amd the next part to tackle will be the brakes. It will have a non boosted tandem m/cylinder and has bigger dia discs and 4 pot Willwoods on the front already. I have just finished welding in strengthening plates and gussets to the rear spring hangers, as well as rewelding the brackets for the LAT tramp rods.Attached are some photos of both cars.Looking forward to an enjoyable ownership experience.
Grelley

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
No disappointment!

Congrats on your find. Sounds like you appreciate driving the white one. The yellow one with double the power will ramp that fun to the max. Keep us up to date please?

Rick

Warren

Gold forum user
Neighbor

Nice toys and lift I hope your neighbor thinks so. I am not that brave to add uncorked headers.
Are the mufflers waiting? What about that old wife's tale about a battery discharging when left on a concrete floor. My wife is too mad to ask.....
Nice photos keep up the good work.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Curious

I have just finished welding in strengthening plates and gussets to the rear spring hangers, as well as rewelding the brackets for the LAT tramp rods.Grelley

Hey! What kind of rear leaf springs are those in the 2nd pic ? The double wrap style is neat . . . . .

grelley

Silver forum user
Springs

Hi, the springs were supplied with the car, along with Edelbrock gas shocks. I just fitted them. I think the p/o said all the upgraded front and rear suspension was sourced from Dales Restorations.
Re the exhausts, I dont run it too long at a time. I will have a set of mufflers and pipes fitted shortly.
Grelley

grelley

Silver forum user
I have made a bit of progress on the yellow Tiger. I have had an exhaust system fitted, refurbished and fitted up the brakes with all new pipes and hoses, along with a 3/4" tandem master cylinder without the booster. I am currently plumbing in the aftermarket heater. When the car arrived it came with 2 front anti roll bars, one at 3/4" thick and one at 1" thick. I am short of some brackets for these and am undecided which to fit. Do Tigers respond well to a heavier front anti roll bar, and are there brackets and PU bushes available for a 1" bar? Thanks
Grelley

67 Tiger

Gold forum user
Awfulhouser intake!! Thats what was put on my car back in 78, I thought I had the only one that still existed.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
OK youve got me, what is an awfulhouser intake

It's actually 'Offenhauser' Thev've been around a looong time !! I did a little search and found a catalogue... http://www.exeterautosupply.com/Docs/Offenhauser%20catalog.pdf

A LOT of manifolds for 50's/60's engines ... just about anything you could think of from 4 carb Corvair manifolds, cross ram ,triple weber for SBC's ... interesting reading...

I remember the only 'Offy' manifold I ever bought was in about 1984... a 360° 4 barrel manifold for a Rover 3500 ( Buick 215 ) that I transplanted into a Porsche 914 ( still running ...in Texas ) ...

Jim
B382000446

tgrrr

Silver forum user
When the car arrived it came with 2 front anti roll bars, one at 3/4" thick and one at 1" thick. I am short of some brackets for these and am undecided which to fit. Do Tigers respond well to a heavier front anti roll bar, and are there brackets and PU bushes available for a 1" bar? Thanks
Grelley

Be very careful about using a 1" bar with stock mounts. The tabs will tear out the LCA mounts. If this happens in the middle of a corner it can get real ugly in a heartbeat. DAMHIK
Reinforce the mounts.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Offy on the SBF

Hi Jim thanks for the clarification. Are the manifolds any good?
Grelley

I prefer the Offy 180 on the little 260/289 as it seems to feed better with a moderate cam at higher RPM than the F4B . No bogging at start off either.

grelley

Silver forum user
Tiger

The engine is a 289 with 302 crank and +030 overbore., x302 alloy ported heads, roller rockers and Crane .555 lift 284 duration cam. I am sure the p/o would have chosen a suitable intake manifold to suit the modifications. I have had very little to do with US V8s of any type so this is a big learning experience for me. One thing I am thinking about to make the car more road driveable is to look for a carb with small primaries and vacuum secondaries and with auto choke. I think initially the car was being built as a track car but I only intend to use it on the road.\
Grelley