Upper and lower ball joint torque

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Does anyone have a recommendation for the upper and lower tapered ball joint torques.

I can't seem to find it in the manual that makes sense, The manual list the lower as highr than the upper, which does not make sense due to their size.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Lower 33 foot pounds
Upper 52 foot pounds
Both specs are listed the same in 2 different manuals. I was also curious why the smaller upper joint has a higher spec , but I went with the torques they specified

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Does anyone have a recommendation for the upper and lower tapered ball joint torques.

I can't seem to find it in the manual that makes sense, The manual list the lower as highr than the upper, which does not make sense due to their size.
My manual lists the lower ball joint LOWER than the top

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
1ADB0D16-8E89-445A-8D63-D591925F1CF1.jpeg

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I know the bottom joint has a clevis pin and you have to fudge with the torque to get the pin in. I can’t recall weather the top joint has a pin or not , I am thinking it does not and I think because of no pin that justifies the higher torque.
As I recall I had to tap on the upper joint to seat the taper because initially the ball joint turned in the taper. It does not take much of a hit with a soft hammer

Last edited:

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My replacement lower ball joint is a nylock, so I will calculate a torque. I forgot the original had a castle nut and cotter pin, thus the low torque.

Thanks!

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
My replacement lower ball joint is a nylock, so I will calculate a torque. I forgot the original had a castle nut and cotter pin, thus the low torque.

Thanks!
I replaced mine but I still went with castle nut and cotter pin. Maybe if you go with a higher torque you may have extreme difficulty if you need to separate it.