What tread is the large bolt/nut on pan hard rod

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Anyone know ? Need to get a die - sucker put up one heck of a fight to get it to loosen up .. looks like a 5/8 - 18 but hoping someone can confirm before I use the wrong one (been there, done that ..)

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
There are different nuts used on the panhard bar. Take a look at the two screen shots from the Tiger parts supplement manual.
Panhard Bar End B.jpg
Panhard Bar End A.jpg

And here is a screen shot of the parts list for the panhard bar.
Panhard Bar Parts List.jpg

Since it is hard to read in the screen shot the fractions for the nuts, here is what it says:

50 5220703 Nut, 3/8" UNF
51 9520060 Nut, 3/8" UNF, lock
52 9520100 Nut, 5/8" UNF, lock

A 5/8" UNC nut has 5/8"-11 threads. And the 3/8" UNC nut has 3/8"-16 threads.

Good luck with your panhard bar!
David

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Anyone know ? Need to get a die - sucker put up one heck of a fight to get it to loosen up .. looks like a 5/8 - 18 but hoping someone can confirm before I use the wrong one (been there, done that ..)
5/8-18 is correct it is UNF -18
3/8 -24 UNF - nuts are used
The other end is a 7/16-20 UNF bolt
So part number46 from David’s diagram has a 3/8-24 one end and 5/8-18 on the other end

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
5/8-18 is correct it is UNF -18
3/8 -24 UNF - nuts are used
The other end is a 7/16-20 UNF bolt
So part number46 from David’s diagram has a 3/8-24 one end and 5/8-18 on the other end
Don’t forget to tighten the lock nut with the car on its tires and on level ground and only slight compression on the rubber

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Better get a high speed steel die and not a carbon steel die coz it is going to be an alloy steel part maybe grade 5 or 7

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks everyone Amazing how many bits and pieces of information needed to take these cars apart and put them back correctly. Also much patience seems to be required and wait for it .. a lot of $ these days for sure.