Willow Springs Raceway Open Track

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Tiger Blue and I headed north early Saturday morning for Rosamond, CA and WSIR. The West Coast Racing Halloween event on the Big Track, Fastest Track in the West was our destination for the weekend. The track is about 150 miles from San Clemente and the Driver's Meeting was at 8:00 am.

I wanted to run at least 6 of 8 scheduled (25 min.) Blue Group sessions. Also wanted to go fast, stay on track and get back home Sunday afternoon in Tiger Blue.

:eek: I busted the stay on track goal in the second session Saturday exiting Turn 2 fast and wide at about 90 and looped it down the track spinning once? twice? and collecting it in the dirt on the right at about 25 mph. I was able to drive back to the pits with only my pride hurt.

So much for the low point of the weekend! The high points came on Sunday when I rode shotgun in Bill Nelson's race prepped Miata for a Red group (race group) session to experience how it can be done. Bill was one of the Instructor's available (no extra cost as in most Open Track Events) at the this event and I decided to do the 7th Blue Group session with him on board to give me some pointers. He gave me more than a little guidance on the lines and where to start a turn. He was uncompromising in demanding that I hit the apex each turn and giving me hell if I was slow getting on the gas exiting. Bill insisted I floor it all the way through Turn 6. He showed more confidence (and bravery) in my car control than I had but it worked great and near the end of that last session I was reeling in some of the cars that I had had to let go by earlier in the day. Even to include catching a Lotus Elise in Turn 2 and sticking to his bumper until the passing zone after Turn 6. :cool:

The temperatures were pleasantly warm, 70's to low 80's, for this time of year and both days were clear and free of the normally high winds of the California high deserts. Pictures posted below include a shot from the 2008 Big Bore Bash Shelby Exhibition Class taken by CaliPhotography. The others from my camera. Someone was taking pictures in Turn 4 and promised to send me some. If he does I will add some of them later. (11/07/09 2 shots by Steve Catlin added.)

I parked Tiger Blue back in the garage at 4:30 pm. I was tired but the tiger was taking it with a shrug. Just another drive around the block.

Thanks to Jim Saxton, West Coast Racing, Inc. for putting on the event!

TigerBlue

Attachments

• WS 11 09_03.jpg
    WS 11 09_03.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 250
  • WS 11 09_04.jpg
    WS 11 09_04.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 262
  • WS 11 09_05.jpg
    WS 11 09_05.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 267
  • WS 11 09_11.jpg