Carburetor advice...

DCTiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Which dist gear is better?

Bronze, steel, or cast iron? I am assuming that you are recommending a sacrificial metal such as bronze or comparable steel, but not cast iron?

Warren

Gold forum user
PO

The former owner had a garage way too clean to be much of an engine builder. I think I mentioned he was a tradesman. Gary helped him with the build like he was helping me and Kevin. I sold the car I was building a motor for , I still have the 289 five bolt and a bunch of bits that I was compiling for the build.

Gary is valuable asset to our local area and he helps us guys that are jack of all trades ,or single trade guys stay on the path to a nice build .

The PO quite obviously made some unsupervised changes ,or paid someone else to do it.

Gary is a true gentleman , albeit a greasy one as he spends his spare time in the junkyard looking for nuggets .:)

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Running a Holley Ultra HP 650 on the 347. Milage sucks as I need a 5 speed. Distro gear material depends on what the cam is made of.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Catching up on posts...

One of the most useful and descriptive posts.. we should save it as a locked post or in a tech section.

Michael nailed this one. Thanks to BT for posting this info.

I don't think so. If your plugs are fouled, you are waaaaaay off. Fix the carb first.

Yep. Searching for a replacement carb now. I'm looking at the 600 CFM carbs but looks like a 450 would be a better match for the 306. While I haven't looked into the 600CFM flavored 4160 tech specs yet, Im thinking I may be able to downsize the venturis if need be.

Kevin,
You need to find out what cam is in that motor so that you can get the right
distributor gear...bronze, steel, or cast iron !!! The wrong gear WILL wipe out your cam in short order.
Moondoggie

Good point Moondoggie. Some quick research tell me I need to verify the Pertronix distributor has a steel gear.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/camshafts/locator.php?part_number=7122&submit=go

The PO quite obviously made some unsupervised changes ,or paid someone else to do it.
Gary is a true gentleman , albeit a greasy one as he spends his spare time in the junkyard looking for nuggets .:)

No question here. Both Craig and Gary have been helpful and honest. I certainly hope I haven't implied that and challenges left to complete are any reflection on Gary. Craig cautioned me many times that the car wasn't quite finished and that it needed going through. As we were loading it on the trailer he said "If I had built this car you would have reason for concern, But fortunately Gary kept this project on track so it has been done right." I have found that to be the case. Obviously some things have been done that Gary isn't aware of and that's were I fit in. This car is puzzle to me that I enjoy finishing over time. I very much appreciate all the support and direction I have received.

All that said - I gotta go fix the sink in the kids bathroom. A&P today = Automitive and Plumbing...:eek:

Cheers, -Kevin

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Installed the Innovate MTX today...

... And what an eye-opener!
Idle is kinda all over the map but basically is 18 or less.

Cruise at 70MPH at 2600 RPM is 11.7...
WOT 11.0-12.5.

hmm. I will install the pertronix distributor first just to see if that makes any improvement, but I don't think it will.

The Holley 4160 600CFM showed up in a box today. I think that will help once it's jetted properly!

Standby for further results...

-Kevin

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Installed a new carb today....

Holy cow - what a difference...
WOT I am seeing 13.6 with the vacuum secondary open.
cruise at 2600 RPM at 70, 17.8 - 18.2.

And here's the ancillary benefit -- while rigging the throttle cable, I discovered a bolt that was WAY too long that attaches the lower left side of the heater assembly to the car. It accidentally acted as a max open throttle stop. I found that I was only getting 3/4 WOT before. After replacing the bolt with the correct shorter one, I now have full travel of the throttle.
The womp-um is just amazing, and I'm sure my fuel economy will be vastly improved now too!

One concern I have now -- and please chime in -- at low cruise (55mph) I'm seeing AFR of roughly 20:1. The power is way back obviously but is this too lean? Should I fatten it up a stitch?

Cheers, -Kevin

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Forrest39 said:
One concern I have now -- and please chime in -- at low cruise (55mph) I'm seeing AFR of roughly 20:1. The power is way back obviously but is this too lean? Should I fatten it up a stitch?

Cheers, -Kevin

Yes, you want to see 17-18 at cruise.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Pulled a plug. More white than tan... Definitely running a little thin.
Ordered the jet kit so I can figure out where I need to be.
Getting closer though and smiling during each 'carb tuning drive':eek:

Cheers, -Kevin

Twin Turbo Tiger

Gold forum user
I'm cheating with my setup I'm getting around 17-18 its FI and has Big Stuff 3 for the engine management system and has a 02 sensor and corrects for conditions and I have 700 RWHP:)
Also runs 9's:eek: