Correct trim rings for stock steel wheels

dstephns

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have decided to put together a set of original stock steel wheels and trim for shows only for my Tiger. I know that there were two types of trim rings available for Tigers. BON states that almost all MK1's except "for a very few late B382xxxxx's" had the crosshatched chrome trim rings and the later few and MK2's had the "slotted" trim rings. My personal preference here is for the crosshatched style but I'm trying to figure out if my Tiger B382001422 would
fall into the later slotted category or would I be good to go for the crosshatched trim. From photos on the internet I see many MK1A's with slotted ones with earlier MK1's with crosshatched.
Any of you guys who are original owners of MK1A's or have more knowledge than I care to voice an opinion on this subject? Thanks ahead of time.
Dave

Last edited:

SunbeamTgr

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I may be way off base, but i believe that all Mk lA cars came with the slotted Knave plates. I feel that nearly half of the Mk l cars were also so equipped. Part of my reasoning is the total lack of cross hatch trim rings on the open market. Have you seen any recently? Gary

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Check the Sunbeam Parts Manual

In section NF of the Sunbeam Parts List Supplement for the Sunbeam "260" and "289" publication, two trim rings are listed. Part number 1224813 Wheel trim is listed for cars up to B9473167. For cars from B9473168, it calls for 1206741 Wheel trim. It would make sense the the first one is the cross-hatched style and the second one is the smooth one. (I am not sure what was meant by "slotted". Also the nave plates - aka hub caps - were also without slots.)

So the parts book indicates that the early Mk 1 Tigers had the cross-hatched trim rings and the later Mk 1, all Mk 1A, and all Mk II Tigers had the smooth trim rings.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The "slotted" trim rings are as used on sv alpine and other contemporary rootes cars. They have vertical slots. These were used in IA and II. They are reproduced in uk, and occasional nos on ebay. The cross hatch are ultra rare. There are period ones that are very similar made by styla and also used on some triumph heralds but the hatch is slightly different and the dish where it slots over wheel centre is shallower

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The "slotted" trim rings are as used on sv alpine and other contemporary rootes cars. They have vertical slots. These were used in IA and II.

Michael is absolutely right. When I first read the line about slotted trim rings, I was thinking about the old slotted mags I had on my Tiger for some 40 years. Those slots were tangential to the center of the wheel. As Michael noted, the trim rings have slots that are radial to the center. Sorry for my error.