So, I'm walking my dog...

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Congratulations

Congratulations on your purchase! I wish you well in making the car what you want it to be.

Did you get the CA black and yellow plates with the car? Will make it easier to register the car and add value.

KenF

Gold forum user
Looks like they added 66SUN in front of the VIN.

Yeah, I definitely want to get VIN corrected when I transfer it. I think CHP can't do it any, only DMV person. At least that's what it was when I brought my 66 GT-350 out of non-op status several years ago. And then it's a gamble depending on the DMV person who verifies it.

KenF

Gold forum user
PS when jacking up the car use extreme caution the front cross member is slick and the jack will easily slide forward and wham then you have a messy valence. Position towards the rear and watch it with every stroke of the handle. Many long term term Tiger owners have dropped the car on the slipped jack over the years, position stands on x frame.

Note to jacking the Tiger. Use a garage jack under the cross member to lift the front then hold with stands and follow on the other side. As stated that cross member is a recipe for jack slipping At the rear I jack under the rear spring centre and then fit the stands. Takes a bit of time but better than being dead

Thanks for that, I knew they were a bit tricky.

KenF

Gold forum user
Did you get the CA black and yellow plates with the car? Will make it easier to register the car and add value.

Unfortunately I only have the rear plate, EJY 543. I'll ask the previous owner since 75 if he has it laying around somewhere, but I'm doubtful. EJY plate seems a bit early for a 65-66, but you could transfer plates from your old car back then. I would have expected a little later serial letters like after M's or something, depending on the county registered in. I may have to bite the bullitt and buy a matched unused pair and go through the YOM process.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bummer

It's too bad you received only 1 original plate. Hopefully the previous owner might have hung the front plate on the garage wall.

Also it appears the seller had ordered a brake servo rebuild kit for a Series 5 Alpine or Tiger Mk II. They originally came with a 7" servo, whereas your car should have come with the smaller (5") servo. Did a previous owner swap out the smaller unit for a larger one?

Warren

Gold forum user
Start at DMV

I'm in process of doing two out of system cars. The DMV lead time is 2 weeks for appointment down here. They have pointed out that first you need to get new "birth date" for the car. In DMV speak that the day that they renew your registration so California gets paid by us. CHP at least down here was a 3 week appointment time. DMV has inspected out of system motorcycles for me guess that some days the chicken bones or tea leaves are read in my favor. I had ex CHP lic. inspector do a car but as mentioned before B addition was not the same as a number addition or removal. I begged and groveled to the clerk to no avail. Much discussion on the LRXFE my guys say that it is not part of the VIN number. Later cars are all strung together but early cars have a space. I worked for an insurance company who used the last few digits to ID a vehicle just like cops do according to my retired CHP inspector.

Last few time they did not give me a red window temporary use permit as they said "we don't know if its safe till they inspect it." Print out a inf70 form and ask for help from the DMV when you are in process. Its not a hard form but one improperly checked box and it'll get sent back to you. At 5 bucks its the only bargain in the building and will print out names of date of first entry in to Cali.

KenF

Gold forum user
I'm in process of doing two out of system cars. The DMV lead time is 2 weeks for appointment down here. They have pointed out that first you need to get new "birth date" for the car. In DMV speak that the day that they renew your registration so California gets paid by us. CHP at least down here was a 3 week appointment time. DMV has inspected out of system motorcycles for me guess that some days the chicken bones or tea leaves are read in my favor. I had ex CHP lic. inspector do a car but as mentioned before B addition was not the same as a number addition or removal. I begged and groveled to the clerk to no avail. Much discussion on the LRXFE my guys say that it is not part of the VIN number. Later cars are all strung together but early cars have a space. I worked for an insurance company who used the last few digits to ID a vehicle just like cops do according to my retired CHP inspector.

Last few time they did not give me a red window temporary use permit as they said "we don't know if its safe till they inspect it." Print out a inf70 form and ask for help from the DMV when you are in process. Its not a hard form but one improperly checked box and it'll get sent back to you. At 5 bucks its the only bargain in the building and will print out names of date of first entry in to Cali.

I wonder if it would be worth it to use one of those DMV registration services that specialize in old cars and weird stuff. I've never used one before. They must have some inside DMV people they work with. I may at least talk to them to see what their fee is. DMV is not my favorite place to go anyway.
IMG_4392.JPG

KenF

Gold forum user
Here's a picture the neighbor took before he bought it, where it sat for 35 years and uncovered a few weeks ago.
IMG_2255.jpg

The spare is an old nylon one, 5.90 - 13. Not sure how to read the old date codes on these, but it's ZNX W96.
IMG_4387.JPG
IMG_4390.jpg

KenF

Gold forum user
Also it appears the seller had ordered a brake servo rebuild kit for a Series 5 Alpine or Tiger Mk II. They originally came with a 7" servo, whereas your car should have come with the smaller (5") servo. Did a previous owner swap out the smaller unit for a larger one?

Looks like the kit covers both sizes and discard the part(s) you don't use.

Warren

Gold forum user
Service

I used an inspection service on a 60 GMC Suburban that was out of system no paperwork. It was the a great use of 100 bucks BUT there was no asking to correct a VIN that has been wrong since issue. Try to tell them they made an error like SUN66 missing B 947XXXX and who knows. My inspector was a retired CHP officer and had the same lic. those services have. Those services are as limited as AAA from my exp. 5 Tigers the one GMC about 5 or six vintage motorcycles. As always your results may vary and it may be worth every penny of the service. On the GMC it was non running and it saved me hundreds in towing time and effort.

Looks like an og spare. Get into the PO's tool box and look for the spark plug socket and Tommy bar... back to Tiger wrestling for me, too bad it's winning now. :(

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Ken - looks great, can't wait to stop and take a look. I'll PM you on a DMV gal that can get you taken care of and keep the 1 plate.

Bullypit

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Great Find

This is a very cool find, and reminds me what I went through 8 years ago with my MKII that I bought from an old friend's widow. The clutch was gone in it, hence the inoperability. You are just postponing the inevitable if you don't have the gas tanks boiler out and sealed - that is the voice of experience. You may as well count on a new radiator core as well. And of course, all the brake stuff like you mentioned.

You should have a good time doing it, and I hope those wheels work out - they are very rare and cool...

KenF

Gold forum user
Just one more post in closing this thread. I towed the car up to the STOA Gold Country event to get the car TAC'd. Fun group of folks, enjoyed meeting everyone. Hope to join them soon driving our new old Tiger.

IMG_4497.JPG

IMG_4499.JPG

Warren

Gold forum user
Awesome

Although it's not much fun pulling a Tiger on and off to a rental trailer with a come along and no brakes except e brake. If you would like we can merge the threads and keep up the great work.
Wish I could have been there we used to call it geographically undesirable, or GU.... ;)