Things this Newbie has learned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgreg

Silver forum user
I am new to the Sunbeam Tiger but not to cars and old cars. I have learned a lot in the two months I have owned my Mk1A. First, if you decide to swap a 4 barrel Holley 1848, 465 CFM onto an Edelbrock manifold, the factory pump nozzle squirter is too small. The 465 CFM comes with a .025 nozzle. Replace it with a .031 and you will not have flat spots. Two, don't bother spending a ton of money on a restored Smiths 60mm clock. I did and mine worked two days and stopped. Get the one you like that doesn't work and convert it to quartz. Third: Don't buy any electric pump that mounts N-S. Puts the pump too close to the muffler. In fact, I am not convinced that any pump works better in a stock powered Tiger than the SU. Particularly if you want to talk in the cockpit. PO put in a Holley and it sounds like a meat grinder and creates more PSI than the car needs. Forth: 15 X 6 front wheels and 15 X 7 rear wheels can be used without any cutting or trimming. It's all about offset and backspace. Seems the debate about wheels goes on without resolution but I can tell you the sizes fit. I would not want to cut my car to make something work. Fifth, the K &N air filter is no better performer than a quality paper filter if the paper filter is changed on a schedule. If you want to save money on filters in the long run (the very long run ), buy the K & N and keep it cleaned and oiled. Having said all that, I enjoy the little car and it is nice to be able to work on something again that I actually can relate to.
Special thanks to all who have helped me get a handle on my new purchase and track down parts..

Warren

Gold forum user
Yes and no

On the clock pay a 100 bucks and send to get Jaguar clock guy to fix it will work as OG and is not altered to work in a different manner.

Too Tech

Bronze forum user
Sgreg,
There is way to much confusion on the wheel offset issue.

Please share with me what wheel size AND offset you used on the front and the rear that fit well on your vehicle.

Thanks,
Rick

Erich

Gold forum user
Since the OP has not been active on the forum since 2012 I would not expect an answer.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Warren--you are funny. How did you find a post almost 5 years old and reply to it..haha. You need a few more honey-do's around the house. :)

Warren

Gold forum user
I would not be so sure

Still a member and lots of guys lurk and can use invisible mode and if you never sign on you don't show up as there are 10 guests to every member. I have a recurring habit of finding old things that may be interesting and dredging them up as the same questions get repeated over and over..

A real good point here is would it not be a bummer to have points deducted on your car cause a PO had his clock gutted for a Quartz movement while a proper tic tic tic fix can be sourced.

Some things change some stay the same.

Bruce you are welcome, the Mrs still to open jars and baggies for me. She has taken over most of my chores. Funny how you do not complain how nicely organized everything is now. If you posted something other than "nice picture thanks for posting," maybe you grey matter would get a work out:D

Look at the time stamp I was 12 days into a six piece fractured arm. I think I did pretty good on Vicodin and Coffee :)

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
SGREG status

Corrected his profile this morning. His CAT Membership expired in 2012 and I found a note to the effect that it was not going to renew. Very polite.

No harm as he also dropped off the map as a registered user.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.