Wood Steering Wheel Rebuilder

RIX260

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Here's a new contact for your 'Resource' file unless you already have one or do the work yourself. Mike just did a Tiger steering wheel for me and it came out great! I've included a couple of pictures.

When I sent it to him, it was like most you find, cracked, faded, wood pieces taped onto the wheel to go along with a badly cracked hub. The wood is all new. He didn't use any of the old wood. His fee was $399 + $25 for the dark insert, plus $14 shipping. And he even removed the old cracked hub for me.

He has been doing mostly MG's but obviously can do any wood wheel. Mike Ruckman, British Car Interiors, 5611 Glencrest Blvd, Tampa, FL 33625. 813-313-7343. ruckmn1@yahoo.com

Rick

unnamed.jpg

unbeam

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Here's a new contact for your 'Resource' file unless you already have one or do the work yourself. Mike just did a Tiger steering wheel for me and it came out great! I've included a couple of pictures.

When I sent it to him, it was like most you find, cracked, faded, wood pieces taped onto the wheel to go along with a badly cracked hub. The wood is all new. He didn't use any of the old wood. His fee was $399 + $25 for the dark insert, plus $14 shipping. And he even removed the old cracked hub for me.

He has been doing mostly MG's but obviously can do any wood wheel. Mike Ruckman, British Car Interiors, 5611 Glencrest Blvd, Tampa, FL 33625. 813-313-7343. ruckmn1@yahoo.com

Rick

View attachment 19352
That sounds like a great value. What wood did he use, and what did he use for the dark insert?
I presume he could start with a solid Alpine wheel and make up the GT/Tiger wheel. Then one of Eric's hub inserts. David

RIX260

Gold forum user
CAT Member
David:
He used mahogany but can use any wood you want. I believe he used dark mahogany for the stripe. You would have to ask him about the cost to take a solid Alpine wheel down to the metal rim. But if you do that work yourself, he can definitely build a wood wheel that looks like this.
Rick

RIX260

Gold forum user
CAT Member
David:
I forgot to mention that Eric is sold out of hubs and hasn’t decided whether he is going to make more. There is another source in the UK but he won’t ship to the US so you would have to have a buddy in the UK who could forward the hub to you.
Rick

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
David:
He used mahogany but can use any wood you want. I believe he used dark mahogany for the stripe. You would have to ask him about the cost to take a solid Alpine wheel down to the metal rim. But if you do that work yourself, he can definitely build a wood wheel that looks like this.
Rick
Originally the black strip is/was a plastic insert.... I have family in the UK... I might be able to help with shipping, but my advice would be to contact Jeff Howarth and have him arrange it... BTB, I just rec'd a new LH front floor from Jeff and it was accurately made and fits like a dream!!

I've rebuilt 2 original wheels with the original wood parts... I have one more I could do, or sell for someone else to restore. The back part of the wheel is undamaged. Th front part has cracks, but I have a complete undamaged front half that I was planning to use to rebuild it.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Has anyone made a smaller diameter copy of the original wood wheel? Some owners have a tough time with the large diameter of the original wheel.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Has anyone made a smaller diameter copy of the original wood wheel? Some owners have a tough time with the large diameter of the original wheel.
Chris Reed has done a couple smaller wheels for me. There is a welder's fee of course. He also cast a very accurate hub.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
David:
I forgot to mention that Eric is sold out of hubs and hasn’t decided whether he is going to make more. There is another source in the UK but he won’t ship to the US so you would have to have a buddy in the UK who could forward the hub to you.
Rick
I do not want to mow his grass, however if he decides not to make more, I have been thinking about making one it for my car
Obviously to make more is a doddle on a CNC machine....................

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I do not want to mow his grass, however if he decides not to make more, I have been thinking about making one it for my car
The Delrin ones are really nice. I found that it was beneficial to assemble the hub to the wheel, both parts, with adhesive between the halves... otherwise the 2 parts are separate and you have to fight them and the horn bits, when you go to install the wheel....

RIX260

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Check with Eric. I think they are wrestling with higher cost of production since the previous lot.