Closing horn holes?

PITT40

Gold forum user
What's the best method? Just tack weld? Or has some ingenuous idea for how been created?

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Horn Holes

There were different methods posted here on the Forum. Try doing a search for "horn holes" to see what others have done and comments about results.

David

PITT40

Gold forum user
Page 2 is corrupted on the United article. A lot of their articles are like that these days. Not sure who runs the site, but it needs some maintenance. I went there a few times looking for stuff that I had seen before and got frustrated.

1966Tiger

Silver forum user
With a suitable radiator, there is no need to close the horn openings. My hi-po 302 runs no higher than 185 all day long, and that's in traffic. On the highway, 180 max.

1966Tiger

Silver forum user
Not true..
Can you kindly tell me precisely why you say "not true"?
My car has NEVER overheated in the 23+ years I've owned it. No matter what traffic conditions. The radiator was sourced from Paul Reisentz. I do not run an oil cooler nor auxiliary fans. I have had ZERO problems with running hot. And isn't the rationale for closing the horn openings to make the car run cooler? Or perhaps I am missing something? Is it possible that closed horn openings would make my car faster?

Last edited:

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I made 2 sets--installed one and sent the other to Warren. I noticed a difference and hopefully it's not because the weather is cooling down. I used the template that was posted on the site awhile back and cut them out with 22 gauge steel.

1966Tiger

Silver forum user
Here is a posting that Duke put on the Forum awhile ago.

http://catmbr.org/VB_forum/showthread.php?t=1601&highlight=Horn+Holes

There were a lot of replies and discussions in that thread! And Duke followed up with an excellent article that appeared in Tiger Tales later.

David

I like Tiger Blue's comment in that thread. And if I may, here's the quote:
"Fix something that needs fixin. If the temps are within the normal range? In your inviornment? Find another project that needs fixing.
Rick"

My car, fortunately, don't need no stinkin' flaps or whatever. Could it be that I have a proper radiator? No, that's too simple an answer. :)

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Different cars different requirements.

Duke has a high Hp motor which would put out lots of heat. I know Duke is not one to cut corners.. so a stock upgraded system may not be enough for him.

IIRC the issue for him was not so much idle.. but on the run.. hence his solution.

Each to their own. There are benifits on a stock car by blocking the holes as detailed in TEAE... there can be benifits on a modified car.. maybe not required.. but helpful....

If your car has temp issues check the fundamentals.. hoses, radiator.. see if there is bloackage inthe block/heads... if all is fine.. then upgarde fan.. close off hround.. block horn holes... if not.. upgarde the radiator, add thermo fan..

Dont fix things that are working fine... dont bandaid problems as a fix if there is a core issue...

examine... assess... fix, modify, upgrade as needed. :)

1966Tiger

Silver forum user
Different cars different requirements.

Duke has a high Hp motor which would put out lots of heat. I know Duke is not one to cut corners.. so a stock upgraded system may not be enough for him.

IIRC the issue for him was not so much idle.. but on the run.. hence his solution.

Each to their own. There are benifits on a stock car by blocking the holes as detailed in TEAE... there can be benifits on a modified car.. maybe not required.. but helpful....

If your car has temp issues check the fundamentals.. hoses, radiator.. see if there is bloackage inthe block/heads... if all is fine.. then upgarde fan.. close off hround.. block horn holes... if not.. upgarde the radiator, add thermo fan..

Dont fix things that are working fine... dont bandaid problems as a fix if there is a core issue...

examine... assess... fix, modify, upgrade as needed. :)

Precisely, Michael, precisely. :)

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
My car, fortunately, don't need no stinkin' flaps or whatever. Could it be that I have a proper radiator? No, that's too simple an answer. :)

Good for you then. You are defiantly in the minority of Tiger owners. I would verify though. Get a laser temp gun and check the thermostat housing and some of the hoses once you are up to temp to see if it matches your gauge.

My issue was NOT high coolant temps but high engine compartment air temps caused the IAT for the engine to get high and the A/F mixture to go rich. Watched it live, real time on the wide band O2 gauge. I have never had any coolant issue with the 347 and it rarely goes over 180. Not the case when the 260 was installed.

A 347 full roller engine with aluminum heads and intake will run cooler than a 260 no matter the HP the 347 is developing. A full roller engine has much less friction and the aluminum conducts heat much better.

Seabrook

Silver forum user
I made 2 sets--installed one and sent the other to Warren. I noticed a difference and hopefully it's not because the weather is cooling down. I used the template that was posted on the site awhile back and cut them out with 22 gauge steel.

Did you stamp faux part numbers in them to drive future restorers crazy? ;)

Warren

Gold forum user
No

Did you stamp faux part numbers in them to drive future restorers crazy? ;)

He did not. We only use real part numbers even on reproduction AC housings. :)

I did not use them and ended up making alloy ones to match the purrty alloy radiator.
I bent a flap in and mounted to old horn bolt holes.

I noticed a difference on both of my in tune cars.

The alloy ones too some time to do nice. Last time I used a Home Depot galvanized metal shingle and some alloy gutter tape black paint and it was 5 min.
crude but effective.

PITT40

Gold forum user
Pics please.

He did not. We only use real part numbers even on reproduction AC housings. :)

I did not use them and ended up making alloy ones to match the purrty alloy radiator.
I bent a flap in and mounted to old horn bolt holes.

I noticed a difference on both of my in tune cars.

The alloy ones too some time to do nice. Last time I used a Home Depot galvanized metal shingle and some alloy gutter tape black paint and it was 5 min.
crude but effective.

Warren

Gold forum user
First

You have to decide if you're going to use the original horn on the car. Getting the old contacts to work is problematic in those horns , I just dealt with their anemic sound and none of them out for a tour through the opening .
I , would send you pictures but I'm 90 miles away from the car until Tuesday . The spare plates , are rather heavy and I was just going to take them to the fix in swap meet and drop them in the pile . I completely different set , and making my own pattern . I just used a old file folder taped it up from the front and then the outline of the opening on the back ,then added 3/4 .
I understand the frustration you have when you go to the Internet and look and see all this fine information and then you can't get it to work . The is on the internet but how do you get that transferred actual size, definitely beyond my computer skill level..

It is a very interesting read , all the tune up advice ,advance curves vaccum connections
mechanical vs centrifical or a combination of both for your motor setup .
But it does seem to work for a lot of applications .

My mark 1a had an LAT hood at speed it likes to pop open all the time in the back ,
despite my constant fiddling with it . I finally gave up and realized she wants to look like a race car ...

Warren

Gold forum user
First

You have to decide if you're going to use the original horn on the car. Getting the old contacts 3 is problematic in those horns , I just dealt with their anemic sound and none of them out for a tour through the opening .
I , would send you pictures but I'm 90 miles away from the car until Tuesday ,they are rather heavy and I was just going to take them to the fix in swap meet and drop them in the pile . I made a completely different set , and making my own pattern . I just used a old file folder taped it up from the front and then the outline of the opening on the back ,then added 3/4 .
I understand the frustration you have when you go to the Internet and look and see all this fine information and then you can't get it to work . The is on the internet but how do you get that transferred actual size, definitely beyond my computer skill level..

It is a very interesting read , all the tune up advice ,advance curves vaccum connections
mechanical vs centrifical or a combination of both for your motor setup .
But it does seem to work for a lot of applications .

My mark 1a had an LAT hood at speed it likes to pop open all the time in the back ,
despite my constant fiddling with it . I finally gave up and realized she wants to look like a race car ...