Dashboard screw head type

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I am ready to install the dashboard. I believe it is mounted with four 1/4" x 1-1/4 self tapping screws which go into the four spire nuts along the top and sides of the dashboard. Are the heads oval or pan head? If they are oval, I need to countersink the dash.
Thanks

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Are they #14? The Alpine parts manual does not seem the same as the Tiger. My dash has four screws holding it at the top and sides.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
image.jpg
outside diameter is .254 length is 1.25 head is domed

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The screw diameter by scaling your photo is 1/4" oval head. Thats what I bought today. Why are the screws black in your photo? Is your's an early non-wood dash?

KenF

Gold forum user
Just looked at mine, they're black oval heads. And outboard two are smaller, as Bryan mentioned.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
The screw diameter by scaling your photo is 1/4" oval head. Thats what I bought today. Why are the screws black in your photo? Is your's an early non-wood dash?
I have the veneered dash and the screws are black Totally original mk1

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I believe there are 3 screws the same length and one that is shorter-that goes to the far right under the cubby/glove box. These are not phillips screws, but ā€œPosi Driveā€ screws. You can see the small lines like an X in between the X for the Posi drive screw driver to be fitted.

Warren

Gold forum user
You can buy Posi-driv bits . There's a lot of them about the car.. The dash screws are blackened and easily rust.

Warren

Gold forum user
Per the blurry picture these are oval headed screws . Maybe the process is Parkerized . It's a blackened oxide look similar to the gun finish seen on the web. I suppose if your car was in Florida like our OP the heads got rusty many years ago and they got replaced. If you have had a car that hasn't been taken apart you'll see many of the screws are Posi-driv . I bought a set of bits on line because using a regular screwdriver booger's up the heads. This is one of those things like the late VIN tag rivet's being found elsewhere on the cars.

Also see this thread
https://www.catmbr.org/cat-forum/threads/brand-of-bolts.6911/post-40960

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Correct Warren, using a Phillips head will ā€œcam outā€ or twist out instead of locking in with the correct posi drive tool. I tried years ago getting the door hinge screws out with a phillips, what a difference with a posi drive. It can be done with a phillips if not too tight.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Early cars with Wood dashes have THREE #14 OVAL head Phillips screws and ONE #10 OVAL head Phillips screw, Later cars have OVAL head POZIDRIVE screws in the same sizes. NO, Pozidrive is NOT the same as Torx... While Phillips and Pozidrive screws look the same, they require different screwdrivers to be installed and removed without damage. A Pozidrive screw can be easily identified as they have lines at 45 degrees radiating from the center of the fastener Very early cars with the plastic dash just have three screws as the plastic (Bakelite) surround for the glove box insert has the last fastener.

The original finish of the screws black oxide (Parkerized) in all instances

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
And where would you buy such a strange beast Austin Healer? I have a late 1a.

Warren

Gold forum user
My later 2628 car has several Posidriv screws on it still the look to have not been removed . Other than that a couple SIV and one one owner SV and MK2 that had not been repainted or otherwise bit o maintenance as required. So many fingers been on most cars like my first Tiger nickname LEGO. All Sunbeam but all color blocks ;) from different cars except the build date in range motor.