Dashboard screw head type

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
All I can say is that is one strange, hard to get screw at least in the States. Regular pozies are hard enough.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
All I can say is that is one strange, hard to get screw at least in the States. Regular pozies are hard enough.
It seams that there is conflicting views as to what is correct all I know is that mine are original to the car and are not posidrive and are all the same numbered screw and are black

Warren

Gold forum user
I have several in the collection of fasteners, but it's highly un organized. The good side is you can put em in anytime. But beware the single coat epoxy or whatever they use on the dashes can chip. Then you can end up touching up with nail polish and it's never the same.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
The screw diameter by scaling your photo is 1/4" oval head. Thats what I bought today. Why are the screws black in your photo? Is your's an early non-wood dash?
I would use the ones you bought and paint the heads black after installing

KenF

Gold forum user
You can buy Posi-driv bits . There's a lot of them about the car.. The dash screws are blackened and easily rust.
Nicer to have real screw drivers you can quickly grab when needed, and different colored handles than my Phillips. Then there's the JIS screws on my 240Z, usually identified with a single dimple on the head.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GEARWRE...erial-Screwdriver-Set-4-Piece-80061/204617082

My dash screws are of the Phillips flavor.

IMG_8046.JPG

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
And where would you buy such a strange beast Austin Healer? I have a late 1a.
I know that the early ones are available from sunbeamcarparts.co in the UK, I don't know about the later ones.. no one seems to have the small screw for the RH corner. I have been trying to find a fastener supplier anywhere that can supply pozidrive screws. I do have a vendor for #10-32 pan head pozi screws. These are used from about mid '65 on Alpines and Tigers. I can also get oval head pozidrize 10-32 in chrome only. I have had no luck with other head types and sizes.

I'll look in my spares and see if I have any of the larger ones...

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have pozi-drive bits. I bought them for the door hinges. Finding the 1/4" screws is a problem. I bought the correct size black oval phillips head.

Steven43

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I can sell you these at the next CAT meeting. $7.00 for both. They should be black not cad and I do not have the small one that goes by the glove box.
Steven Alcala

DSCN9318.JPG

DSCN9319.JPG

DSCN9320.JPG

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Is there anyone able to post a picture of the original large and smaller pozidrive screws that were used One photo showing the 2 different screws and a rule ?

KenF

Gold forum user
Just looked at mine, they're black oval heads. And outboard two are smaller, as Bryan mentioned.
Sorry, I was wrong! I looked again, and I have 3 large, and 1 small screw on the right. Just wanted to fess up. :sneaky:

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Sorry, I was wrong! I looked again, and I have 3 large, and 1 small screw on the right. Just wanted to fess up. :sneaky:
Ken :- does that mean that you have a smaller spire clip (nut) on the right hand side to match the smaller screw ? Thanks

KenF

Gold forum user
Ken :- does that mean that you have a smaller spire clip (nut) on the right hand side to match the smaller screw ? Thanks
Yes, steel clip. I could only see half of it from the back with my tiny mirror. Poked a small nail ~1" in, and felt small steel hole. Not sure if it's a flat clip, or one that wraps around that bracket somehow.
Replacing the dash is 1 of 3 things I may do to my car in the spring, along with painting the hardtop, and spiffying up the wheels.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Yes, steel clip. I could only see half of it from the back with my tiny mirror. Poked a small nail ~1" in, and felt small steel hole. Not sure if it's a flat clip, or one that wraps around that bracket somehow.
Replacing the dash is 1 of 3 things I may do to my car in the spring, along with painting the hardtop, and spiffying up the wheels.
Will take a photo of mine soon since I have the dash out. Will post when I can

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If anyone wants 3 or 4 of these, let me know. They are phillips head oval, 1/4" and black.
This is what I am using. Getting posi-drive is too difficult at this time.
67C0267E-AF2A-4998-B4D5-EE39B01FA1D0.jpeg

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I think my Tiger only has the pozidriv screws on the doors... because of the parallel sides of the driver, you can put a lot more torque on them!! I doubt you could tighten up a phillips screw enough to hold in that location. You can buy socket sets with posidriv but usually only #'s 1 to 3 The door ones need a #4 but that's a little harder to find

screws_phillips_pozidriv_comparison.jpg

m

Last edited:

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I agree. My door hinges had never been removed. I bought a pozi-dtive bit set. A phillips would never have taken the torque needed to remove them. It's actually a shame it was not adopted worldwide.