Fuel Pump Relocation

Agent 861

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I'm wondering how many people have relocated the Fuel pump to the Mk2 position in the spare tire well. While I'm committed to originality I'm also committed to the car not burning to the ground . Certainly the location of the fuel pump above the muffler is not one of Jensens/Rootes best ideas !!

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I did it during my complete restoration and am glad I did. I used the solid state SU pump from SS. I heard somewhere that the original mounting bracket can be adapted and used in the new location and that's what I did. Fitting and routing new lines in a tidy fashion is a bit of a challenge but having the ability to turn the car upside down on the rotisserie made that much easier.

IMG_2341.jpgScreen Shot 2023-10-03 at 9.28.13 PM.png

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I know a lot of people do that but my tanks and crossover pipes were in great shape and I didn't like the idea of another valve to be able to change that filter. So far, so good.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
It's easy to do. there is an internal fuel filter in the SU pump so not an issue and no pre filter required. The Mk2 filter after the pump was a stupid location as it has the full head of fuel bearing down on it making changing filters a real PIA. I just located a steel cased fuel filter at the engine in the normal Mk1/Mk1A location on my Mk2. I always tell people to avoid the plastic (clear) fuel filter as they are a huge fire hazard. I just write the date on the fuel filter case so I know to change it on a yearly basis.

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
I just saw this thread. I am planning to change my fuel pump to the MK2 location. I also need to replace all of the fuel lines, front to back. Wasn't there a company that sells pre-bent fuel lines for Tigers? I tried searching for some, but could not find them. Maybe they stopped making them for Tigers?

unbeam

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I just saw this thread. I am planning to change my fuel pump to the MK2 location. I also need to replace all of the fuel lines, front to back. Wasn't there a company that sells pre-bent fuel lines for Tigers? I tried searching for some, but could not find them. Maybe they stopped making them for Tigers?
www.classictube.com, search "Sunbeam". Brake, clutch and fuel lines in original and stainless steel. Perhaps SKU: SBF1003-S. Would need to clarify if Mk l or Mk ll configuration. David

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
www.classictube.com, search "Sunbeam". Brake, clutch and fuel lines in original and stainless steel. Perhaps SKU: SBF1003-S. Would need to clarify if Mk l or Mk ll configuration. David
Classic tube only makes fuel lines for the Mk1/Mk1a Tigers. I asked them about a set for a MK2 and they said they would if I had a pattern. I made up the set for my Mk2. It wasn't too difficult. I bought a 25 foot roll of 5/16 steel tubing from Napa and used a simple tubing bender. The fuel lines are significantly different than the MK1/MK1a

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
Thanks for the link to Classic Tube.

They have two listings: one for 65-66 Tigers, which is a 4 piece kit; and one for 67 Tigers, which is a 6 piece kit.

https://classictube.com/product/sunbeam-tiger-fuel-supply-line-19651966-2/?q=sunbeam
https://classictube.com/product/sunbeam-tiger-fuel-supply-line-1967/?q=sunbeam

Both of them are described as "Fuel Tank to Pump Line". Unfortunately, they only show pictures of the 65-66 kit with 4 pieces. It looks like it would cover the whole car, not just from the "Tank to the Pump". Can we assume that the 6 piece kit would be for a MK2". Does it make sense that a MK2 would have two more pieces?

The 65-66 kit is significantly more expensive than the 67 kit.

My car had Aeroquip braided lines front to back when I got it. I am a bit at a loss to know what the original lines are supposed to look like.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Austin Healer

Gold forum user

They have two listings: one for 65-66 Tigers, which is a 4 piece kit; and one for 67 Tigers, which is a 6 piece kit.

https://classictube.com/product/sunbeam-tiger-fuel-supply-line-19651966-2/?q=sunbeam

Both of them are described as "Fuel Tank to Pump Line". Unfortunately, they only show pictures of the 65-66 kit with 4 pieces. It looks like it would cover the whole car, not just from the "Tank to the Pump". Can we assume that the 6 piece kit would be for a MK2". Does it make sense that a MK2 would have two more pieces?

My car had Aeroquip braided lines front to back when I got it. I am a bit at a loss to know what the original lines are supposed to look like.

Thanks for you help!
I have 5 pieces on my MK2, but that is probably because I have a 4bbl carb on a F4B intake. The 6th line would be from the hose connection by the RH valve cover to the inlet on an Autolite 2bbl carbie. When I was restoring my car, they didn't have the kit for the Mk2. I had the original set from my Mk2, so I just copied them to make my new set. Someone must have supplied them with a pattern. It's strange that the MK2 kit is cheaper. It uses pretty much the same overall length of tubing. I could get my car up in the air and take some pics if you want. The last 2 lines on the front of the car, from the bellhousing flange forward, would be the same as the Mk1/MK1a

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
I have 5 pieces on my MK2, but that is probably because I have a 4bbl carb on a F4B intake. The 6th line would be from the hose connection by the RH valve cover to the inlet on an Autolite 2bbl carbie. When I was restoring my car, they didn't have the kit for the Mk2. I had the original set from my Mk2, so I just copied them to make my new set. Someone must have supplied them with a pattern. It's strange that the MK2 kit is cheaper. It uses pretty much the same overall length of tubing. I could get my car up in the air and take some pics if you want. The last 2 lines on the front of the car, from the bellhousing flange forward, would be the same as the Mk1/MK1a
I also have a 4bbl carb on a F4B intake. If it is not too much trouble and whenever you get a chance, I would appreciate seeing some pics on how your MK2 lines are run. I am especially interested in seeing how they make the transition form the back of the car past the axle. Also, how are all of the various pieces connected to each other. I know the jump from under the body to the engine is done with a length of fuel hose. Are all the transitions done with fuel hose, or do they use some other type of connector?

This is good info, Thanks!

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I also have a 4bbl carb on a F4B intake. If it is not too much trouble and whenever you get a chance, I would appreciate seeing some pics on how your MK2 lines are run. I am especially interested in seeing how they make the transition form the back of the car past the axle. Also, how are all of the various pieces connected to each other. I know the jump from under the body to the engine is done with a length of fuel hose. Are all the transitions done with fuel hose, or do they use some other type of connector?

This is good info, Thanks!
All the transitions are all short pieces of rubber hose. Originally where the line exits the spare tire well there was a provision for a fuel filter, so hose/filter/hose there. I just use the hose as this location for a filter is exceptionally stupid as you're fighting a full head of fuel when trying to change it. The next hose connection is near where the fuel pump would be on a MK1/MK1a. There is a rubber hose connection just behind the bracket on the bellhousing, and lastly, one by the RH valve cover where the short line to the 2bbl carb would be. I just install my filter there and then run hose from the filter to the carb inlet. I'll get you some pics in the next couple of days. There are a couple of clips/brackets for the fuel lines. They are both in the front half. One flat bracket with 2 holes at the bellhousing bolt (RH bottom by starter) and one on the RH front of the engine block. that one is a 90 degree bracket bolted to the lower RH front of the engine block. You'll see a hole that is 5/8" coarse thread. A wiring harness clip holds the fuel line to it with a 10-32 hex head screw and nut. All the rest of the retainers for the fuel lines are the welded tabs on the underside of the car.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The use of nickel/copper tubing for the fuel line from back to front eliminates all of the potential fuel leaks / fire hazards of the rubber hose connections. It's very easy to work with and requires very little force to put it where you want it. It's very easy to work with.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
All the transitions are all short pieces of rubber hose. Originally where the line exits the spare tire well there was a provision for a fuel filter, so hose/filter/hose there. I just use the hose as this location for a filter is exceptionally stupid as you're fighting a full head of fuel when trying to change it. The next hose connection is near where the fuel pump would be on a MK1/MK1a. There is a rubber hose connection just behind the bracket on the bellhousing, and lastly, one by the RH valve cover where the short line to the 2bbl carb would be. I just install my filter there and then run hose from the filter to the carb inlet. I'll get you some pics in the next couple of days. There are a couple of clips/brackets for the fuel lines. They are both in the front half. One flat bracket with 2 holes at the bellhousing bolt (RH bottom by starter) and one on the RH front of the engine block. that one is a 90 degree bracket bolted to the lower RH front of the engine block. You'll see a hole that is 5/8" coarse thread. A wiring harness clip holds the fuel line to it with a 10-32 hex head screw and nut. All the rest of the retainers for the fuel lines are the welded tabs on the underside of the car.
5/16-18 thread in engine block

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
That's the one, here's a pic of the other. this clip is held on by the lower starter bolt. The hose and clips are the original type. Tubing was originally mild steel

DSCF5056.JPG

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The use of nickel/copper tubing for the fuel line from back to front eliminates all of the potential fuel leaks / fire hazards of the rubber hose connections. It's very easy to work with and requires very little force to put it where you want it. It's very easy to work with.
it's all in what you're after. I was merely pointing out what was original.

KenF

Gold forum user

Thanks for your help!
Here's a pic of the Classic Tube fuel lines I ordered in February 2020, part no. SBF1001-OE (4 Pc). Running off the left side of the pic is the slight bend up to the crossover tube.

IMG_5123.JPG

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
it's all in what you're after. I was merely pointing out what was original.
I understand what you're saying about originality. I've seen both Alpines and Tigers that have been ravaged by fires from leaking fuel. One of my cars was damaged by a fire under the hood. The wife was driving it and she put the fire out quickly. That car under went a restoration several years ago and it as well as the last two restorations have nickel / copper fuel lines. We don't have non ethanol gas in Ohio so better safe than sorry.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Here's a pic of the Classic Tube fuel lines I ordered in February 2020, part no. SBF1001-OE (4 Pc). Running off the left side of the pic is the slight bend up to the crossover tube.

View attachment 18777
I bought one of these for the prototype Mk1a. It came with the compression fittings too. (for the pump and crossover tube)