Fuel Pump Relocation

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
So,..... if I am interpreting this correctly, the port on the end of the pump is not connected to anything. I would assume that it can be capped off. The port that is located more in the middle of the pump, is a vent. That vent could be routed with some clear tubing to the hole at the bottom of the spare tire well. Please confirm.

Thanks!

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
So,..... if I am interpreting this correctly, the port on the end of the pump is not connected to anything. I would assume that it can be capped off. The port that is located more in the middle of the pump, is a vent. That vent could be routed with some clear tubing to the hole at the bottom of the spare tire well. Please confirm.

Thanks!
it's not at the bottom of the trunk floor... pic attached.. The grommet in the picture is where the vent tube would come through. This hole is only found on Tigers. The hole in the trunk floor next to the battery is for the battery cap vent assy. the vent hose is only found on Mk1 and MK1a cars. The reason for the hose protruding into the trunk is to keep the vent clear of road debris. as the pump is located under the trap door it is totally exposed.

MK2 cars don't have a vent tube as the pump is protected from the elements as it's inside of the trunk.

so if you're changing the location of the pump to the Mk2 spot, you don't need to worry about the vent hose.

P1231215.JPG

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
it's not at the bottom of the trunk floor... pic attached.. The grommet in the picture is where the vent tube would come through. This hole is only found on Tigers. The hole in the trunk floor next to the battery is for the battery cap vent assy. the vent hose is only found on Mk1 and MK1a cars. The reason for the hose protruding into the trunk is to keep the vent clear of road debris. as the pump is located under the trap door it is totally exposed.

MK2 cars don't have a vent tube as the pump is protected from the elements as it's inside of the trunk.

so if you're changing the location of the pump to the Mk2 spot, you don't need to worry about the vent hose.

View attachment 18993
Got it. I am putting it in the MK2 position, so no vent hose to worry about.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user

View attachment 18993
I wondered what the tube was mine was not connected to anything , it was just hanging in the grommet with a few inches inches in the trunk and the other end almost touching the ground The original fuel pump was replaced with a German made fuel pump and probably did not have a use for the tube I have installed a SU pump and now I will attach that tube to it. Always learning and appreciate the feedback

IvaTiger

Gold forum user

Thanks!
We have established where the tube enters the trunk but no confirmation of where on the pump it attaches. On the end where the points are or the middle of the pump , I am guessing the middle and allows the diaphragm to breathe ?

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
We have established where the tube enters the trunk but no confirmation of where on the pump it attaches. On the end where the points are or the middle of the pump , I am guessing the middle and allows the diaphragm to breathe ?
at the base of the electrical portion where it attaches to the alloy body

KenF

Gold forum user
Here's a pic of mine. Ground wire on middle connector. Vent to truck on middle fitting, clear hose. I do notice the vent on the end near positive wire has a plastic cap, whereas yours doesn't.

IMG_9121.JPG

IMG_9122.JPG

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
I got the new pump installed in its new location. Got the wiring done with the use of a relay, so I could get power directly from the battery. Now I am waiting on delivery of a coil of stainless fuel line.

Fuel Pump install.jpg

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
if you decide you want to run the fuel lines into the pump like a Mk2, the complete pair of fittings is available from Rick at sunbeam Specialties under part # TM31F

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
if you decide you want to run the fuel lines into the pump like a Mk2, the complete pair of fittings is available from Rick at sunbeam Specialties under part # TM31F
He was out of stock on the TM31F when I ordered the SU pump. I ordered this alternate kit instead of having no fittings.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I could probably supply banjo fittings with a compression fitting (90 degree) but I'd have to look. The other option would be a banjo that could be soldered... but you'd have to use either mild steel or copper lines

TAH_Tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Small and simple. Easy fuel turnoff and filter/pump replacement. Carter pump and filter bought as a complete unit @ about $35 so complete backup unit can be brought along.

IMG_5846.jpg

IMG_5850.jpg

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
I thought I would post an update on my fuel pump relocation and new fuel line project. The only line I still need to make is the one that goes under the engine and up to the carb. I am waiting to get the engine back from the machine shop. Overall, I am pretty pleased with how this turned out. I just have 1 more question. How far does the fuel line extend past the rectangular plate (last picture) on the passenger side, where it meets up with the line that goes under the engine? I had to guess at the length since I don't have the engine at the moment. I would like to get it trimmed to the right length, so I don't accidently mangle it while re-installing the engine.

Fuel pump relocated.jpg

Crossover to spare well.jpg

Past panhard bar.jpg

Up over axle.jpg

Into tunnel.jpg

Fuel line end.jpg

KenF

Gold forum user
Mine ends about 4-5 inches forward of that plate, about even with that brake line clip on the frame.