Panhard rod question(s)

Havenhearth

New forum user
Hello,

First, I would like to learn what, if any, difference(s) there may be between the Panhard rods on Mk1, 1A and Mk 2 Tigers, other than their being differently mounted on the Mk 2 axles?

Second, is there anyone who has a Panhard rod they would be willing to part with?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to offer, or for a referral to someone who either has a spare, or might lead me to one for my car.

Very Best,

David

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The MKI and IA are the same.. The mkii they flipped the mounting to the other side of the car.. It helped some.. But they still pull off the body as they mount to high and at an angle.. Not parallel

Havenhearth

New forum user
Hi Mike,

Thanks for that. I knew about the reversal of the mounting from 1A to Mk2. Didn't realize that their position needed to be more parallel to the rear axle, but it makes sense when thinking about it.

And thanks for putting me in touch with Buck.

We'll see what comes of it.

Cheers,

David

steven

Gold forum user
I have one that was torn off my MK1. If you cannot not source one locally mine is available however I am on the other side of the planet (Australia)

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi Mike,

Thanks for that. I knew about the reversal of the mounting from 1A to Mk2. Didn't realize that their position needed to be more parallel to the rear axle, but it makes sense when thinking about it.

And thanks for putting me in touch with Buck.

We'll see what comes of it.

Cheers,

David
Ha David! Didnt realise you are on the CAT forum!

Drop me an email re: the panhard setup and if you are thinking to use it for perhaps track work in an alpine?

MK

Warren

Gold forum user
Where's Dan W. AKA Spmdr, " friends don't let friends use panhard bars"
Ha David! Didnt realise you are on the CAT forum!

Drop me an email re: the panhard setup and if you are thinking to use it for perhaps track work in an alpine?

MK

Warren

Gold forum user
Someone else had asked me about if I had a spare I know I took some pictures of it as I took it off the car I may have a description of it with some diameters etc. and a couple more pictures but this is what I have now..

Attachments

• PXL_20210120_171630286.jpg
    PXL_20210120_171630286.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 100
  • PXL_20210120_171620601.jpg
    PXL_20210120_171620601.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 104
  • PXL_20210120_171613459.jpg
    PXL_20210120_171613459.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 102

Havenhearth

New forum user
These responses are Very informative and Very helpful. Thanks, y'all.

Any further comments? I've heard that the Mk2 Panhard rod is at least mounted in the correct orientation --unlike the Mk1 and 1A. Apparently the improvement wasn't sufficient as they still didn't do what they were intended to do, namely keep the rear end in position during heavy acceleration.

I'm open to learning this properly, before reworking my car for no reason, or worse, for the wrong reason. There is presently no Panhard rod on the car.

Cheers

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If you fully intend to rework the car, then take the time to consider Dan Walter's torque kit. It works quite well and I've driven a few clients' cars with the unit installed.

Havenhearth

New forum user
Thanks very much. How does Dan's kit compare to Dale's differential attached central traction link?

And how would you characterize the difference(s) between stock cars and Tigers modified with Dan's torque kit?

Thanks for this input as I'm quite interested for another client car.

The car I'm alluding to is extremely rare. I feel it's very important to keep the car bone stock for that reason. I'm all in favor of modifications in the interest of improved performance, handling or appearance, but on rare cars, I defer to the historical importance of the car, if the car warrants it.

Warren

Gold forum user
Boy gotta agree with the historical importance aspect. I guess that gives me an excuse for having that torque arm hanging in the garage for a couple of years :) Quite unfortunately there's been no autocross or no opportunity to flog the car about an autocross at a Tigers United an emoji just doesn't cut it...
I guess historical importance is why guys don't like to sell their just laying around panhard bars.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks very much. How does Dan's kit compare to Dale's differential attached central traction link?

And how would you characterize the difference(s) between stock cars and Tigers modified with Dan's torque kit?

Thanks for this input as I'm quite interested for another client car.

The car I'm alluding to is extremely rare. I feel it's very important to keep the car bone stock for that reason. I'm all in favor of modifications in the interest of improved performance, handling or appearance, but on rare cars, I defer to the historical importance of the car, if the car warrants it.
David,

Are you talking about the H?

What should be mentioned clearly here is the difference in purpose of a panhard rod and torque arm... They are designed to do different things.

A panhard rod is designed to control the lateral movement of the axle. It is suposed to stop side to side sway.... Not control axle hop or vertical movement. The issue with the tiger panhard system is the geometry is incorrect, hence the forces tend to tear the mounts off the body.

The torque arm is designed to stop axle tramp. Unlike traction bars the torque arm prevents thr axle rotation that causes leaf spring wind up and Deflection and resulting tramp.
The torque arm cage bloted to the diff centre connect to a fixed point on the body. It allows much freer vertical movement of the rear suspensions than traction bars which limit the spring movement to prevent wind up allowing better ride with the torque arm.

David are you using this on the H? If so do you still have lever arm dampers on the rear?
If you were using the torque arm you will need to make your own mount as in dans kit its designed to mount to a Salisbury rear pumpkin not an alpine one.

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Race car suspension designer Trevor Harris says he likes his panhard bars to be mounted as flat (horizontal) as possible, be s as long as possible and as low as possible. The Tiger bar is heavily angled, short and as high as possible. Three for three but not in the good way.
About the time the Tigers were just going into production, Jensen Chassis engineer Mike Jones realized that the Tiger Panhard bar would make the car's handling more symmetrical if the Panhard bar was mounted to the left side of the chassis instead of the right. His ideas were soon verified by testing and the bar's mount to the chassis was moved to the left side for the run of M2s.

Warren

Gold forum user
Well quoted and said. I would add that even when things are wrong they can be right. Which brings me back to one of the first comments I received concerning Tiger's.
" Why aren't you going to show your car don't you want to know what's wrong with it?"
Which only proves that things can be wrong and still right. :)
Then there's the reason why 3 guys asked me for a spare, since I'm cleaning out my I'll never use pile from my Craigslist finds.

"My car's PO had took it off and lost it". 3 different guys same question.

Certainly I'd like to have another chance to run with and without a panhard bar. Maybe we'll see a new calendar posting soon :)

Last edited:

CobraTiger

Silver forum user
And the Panhard rod question remains……………………

With the removal of my diff to repair the rear leaf spring chassis mounts as per Mod Tiger and the inclusion of the Dan Walters Torque Arm, I have pondered if when re-installing, I should bolt up again the Panhard rod. As I have a Mk 1, which has the Panhard rod mount at less than optimal and which was redesigned for the Mk II, would I be gaining anything in reinstalling or, would I be better off placing on the shelf with my other Tiger gear.

As I am relatively new to Tigers, all thoughts and guidance gratefully appreciated.

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Let me clarify my statement: Friends don't let Friends use an OEM Tiger Panhard rod, Unless you Also use Only OEM Type (and size)

Bias ply tires and/or, keep the car Stock.

In That case (stock), May Lord Rootes be with you.

DW

Last edited:

Bryan

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The orginal panhard design and an engineering disaster- the freeways were litter with them, like clip on headlight buckets - these cars are fifty plus years old now and you just can't go down to the sunbeam store and buy parts- you must improve where needed and repair in a likely manner- and drive your cars- as for the ones who want period correct cars and keep them in a time capsule-thats ok too- me- I want to enjoy driving my car and getting rock chips along the way- soon someone else will own these cars- can't wait when Nascar goes electric-won't that be a thrill

Warren

Gold forum user
Here is a not affiliated cross posting from the antique email list by Tom H.
AKA ModTiger.
Someone was asking about one.
If anyone goes everywhere they want to go on the www and need another thing to read Tiger related let me know and I'll send on the address.
Copy below

I've got a kit that replaces the OEM failure prone Panhard bracket that
I've been selling for 20 years.? I also have at least one of Paul
Reisentz Panhard Bars to go with it. Let me know if you have any interest.