Panhard rod question(s)

Warren

Gold forum user
A new member asked me for a picture of this It's probably the non-welding manner of reattaching a panhard bar or it's someone else's idea of how to mount it just a skosh lower.
When I say non-welding I mean non-upside down welding on the bottom of the car.

PXL_20210531_193112277.jpg

PXL_20210531_193104359.jpg

ojxxx

Silver forum user
I've never understood the need for a panhard bar with the leaf springs, matter of fact as they go thru the range of motion they'd be in conflict with each other, ie the springs go straight up and down when the panhard bar would push or pull them left or right.
Panhard bars are required on coil spring cars but on leaf spring cars they seem contrary to me. Its a Shelby thing thing, I guess, like the short ladder bar.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
all of the panhard rods are the same length... I have one of each. The difference between the Mk1/Mk1a and the Mk2, aside from their reversed mounting is the length of the adjustable threaded end. The Mk2 is longer and the corresponding part on the mk1/mk1a assembly.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I've never understood the need for a panhard bar with the leaf springs, matter of fact as they go thru the range of motion they'd be in conflict with each other, ie the springs go straight up and down when the panhard bar would push or pull them left or right.
Panhard bars are required on coil spring cars but on leaf spring cars they seem contrary to me. Its a Shelby thing thing, I guess, like the short ladder bar.
Every Big Healey was built with one. (leaf springs) until radius arms were introduced on the Mk3 3000 in late 64/early 65. A panhard rod keeps the rear springs from having lateral movement. If you look at a spring you will note that only one leaf is continuous, the rest can slip and slide on each other both fore and aft, and side to side as there is only the central bolt for location. This is because the wraps fore and aft of the center bolt aren't really tight and are insulated by soft rubber.

The need for a panhard rod is reduced when radius arms, or traction bars are installed... but only if the forward point of the traction bar is rigidly mounted (welded mounts). In any event, the purpose of a panhard rod is positive lateral location ONLY... the purpose of radius arms, or traction bars is to stop the leaf spring from loading up (winding up) from the front eye to the center of the spring. Tractions bars provide NO positive lateral axle location. You could always opt for a "Watt's link" for the ultimate in rear axle location. These have a pivot on the rear axle cover and the ends of each side attach to the frame. These are used with the Dana Axle on Aston Martin DB5's

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Here's the difference between the MK1/Mk1a panhard rod and the Mk2. The adjustable extension is longer for the MK2. The panhard rods are otherwise identical
P5010861.JPG

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Hello,

First, I would like to learn what, if any, difference(s) there may be between the Panhard rods on Mk1, 1A and Mk 2 Tigers, other than their being differently mounted on the Mk 2 axles?

Second, is there anyone who has a Panhard rod they would be willing to part with?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to offer, or for a referral to someone who either has a spare, or might lead me to one for my car.

Very Best,

David
I have a Mk1/Mk1a panhard rod that i'd sell.