Tire mounting on the new VTO rims is going well.....NOT!

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
I gave Firestone the complete brief. 15 X 6 go in front 15 X 7 go in back and the tires are directional. Go to pick them up and there are two left front wheels and two right rear wheels. I wait while they flip two tires. I get them home and when installing notice the on the rear wheels, the lugs going in different depths on the left than the right. Turns out, they put a 225 tire on the 15 X 6 and a 195 tire on the 15 X 7. It must be Monday.

Started the car, all seems to be running well.

steven

Gold forum user
When I took a whitewall tyre to be fitted to a mag wheel, they fitted it with the whitewall on the inside. When I queried it I was told they didn't think anyone would like that white ring showing.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It Can Be Taxing

We broke down and acquired our own tire gear a while ago. A lot of bad blood was getting spilled when I finally insisted they pay for their mistakes. Torn bias plys and fractured belts from loading the tire from the deep side of a mag instead of the shallow bead relief. Bent & scratched wheels along with the usual beat-to-death chrome lug nuts. Consideration somehow got reduced to zip. But the billing was always clean and efficient . . . . . .

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Man what a string of bad luck !!!!

Gotta watch those suckers.........I just put on new run flat tires on my
M series BMW at the local dealer here in Monterey. Top notch joint really clean
professional place. They managed to scrape all of the finish off my wheels all
around the circumferance not just on one wheel but all four !!!! The wheels looked dirty when I picked it up so I just figured it must be the rain ( it was raining). The next day I had the time to look closely and I couldn't believe
what I was seeing...Run flat tires have a rigid side wall and can be a pain to get off but it's not like these guys don't see many of these tires. The dealer
had to replace all four wheels..........

Moondoggie

MGBlack

Bronze forum user
Duke,
I hope you luck changes soon.
Thanks for your posts.
We all have those really bad runs of luck but forget that others do too.
Your sticktoitivness is impressive

Do you sleep?
Mike

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Duke,
I hope you luck changes soon.
Thanks for your posts.
We all have those really bad runs of luck but forget that others do too.
Your sticktoitivness is impressive

Do you sleep?
Mike

UR welcome.......I sleep with enough wine.

Ohhhhh...bad post number.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
You had better make sure they put front air in the front tires and rear air in the rear tires too......:eek:

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
It's also seasonal. You can't use summer air in a winter tyre . . . . .

Of course you have to make sure their compressor is mounted inside their building so your tyres are inflated with interior air and not exterior air. Exterior air is always trying to get out.

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
I once had a new set put on the Tiger. Went straight for a spin thru a local canyon. At the time I was thinking much easier steering with new tires but quite a bit harder ride than I was used too. Got home and checked the pressure ... around 60 psi in all 4.

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
About 20 years ago I had just finished restoring a Firebird. Had the snowflakes looking like brand new. Took them in to have the tyres fitted and balanced. They were going to put the balance weights on the outside of the rim. I went from 6' tall to 12' in a nano second. They put them all on the inside.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
All you spinner haters will rejoice. Have new 15" wheels on the Tiger that have replace the 13" JAP wheels.

Can not fit any more tire in the rear (225/50 R15"). Actually have to roll the right rear fender due to some contact under hard acceleration.

Weather would not cooperate, some crappy pictures of a dirty car, but you get the idea.

001-47.jpg

002-51.jpg

004-24.jpg

New Wilwood front hubs, vented disks and 4 pot calipers on the way.

003-33.jpg

You can really see those RX7 rear disks now.

Last edited:

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Duke,

Looking good.:D

An unsolicited thought about the fender clearance from the peanut gallery. Is the rear clearance the same on both sides? The panhard rod centers the car body over the rear axles. If the clearances are different, maybe an adjustment to the rod would move the body over enough that you would not have to roll the lip on the right side and still have enough clearance on the left.

Also on my car I noticed that there was significant extra metal where the inner fender well was spot welded to the outer fender. Rather than try and roll the lip, I cut back the extra metal with an air powered cutoff tool to close to where the spot welds are. Something like that might be easier to do than rolling the lip.

Gene

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
All you spinner haters will rejoice. Have new 15" wheels on the Tiger that have replace the 13" JAP wheels.

Can not fit any more tire in the rear (225/50 R15"). Actually have to roll the right rear fender due to some contact under hard acceleration.

You can really see those RX7 rear disks now.

Those are the exact same diameter as my 245/50 14's ... I'm gonna guess by looking at your first pic that there's a lot of room between the inside of the tire and the leaf spring? It's always a compromise... widen the rear track a bit... or get fender clearance... :rolleyes:

Jim
B382000446

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Is the rear clearance the same on both sides? The panhard rod centers the car body over the rear axles.

I'll have to check. No panhard rod installed. It would have ripped out is about 5 seconds.

Am thinking it would be easier to just role the lip than move the rear axle. Looking at borrowing the Eastwood tool that bolts to the hub.

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Check the tire to spring clearance on both sides they should be equal. With my 16" panasports the offset in the rear is 15mm and the wheel fits in the wheel well...What did you get ??? Also those fender rollers that bolt to the
wheel hub can do some nasty damage to your fender so I would only do that as a last resort....

Also..Now you must lower that front end....mine is about right..

Moondoggie

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
I'll have to check. No panhard rod installed. It would have ripped out is about 5 seconds. .

I thought you have a torque arm to control axle wrap. What would rip it out then?

Also without a panhard rod, watts linkage are something to keep body and axle centered I am thinking the lateral cornering forces trying to separate the body and axle horizontally are being concentrated in your rear spring front mounts. The front mount is famous for cracking in a normal stock setup. I hope you have them reinforced. Good idea to check them for hair line cracks in the dog leg part if you haven't done so recently.

IMHO, getting Tom Hall's panhard rod relocation kit (or equivalent) and mounting the rod as low/close to the axle and parallel to the ground as possible is a much better approach than having none at all.

Gene

chirodoc

Gold forum user
LIP ROLLER

Tom Hall did a tech tip in the STOA newsletter last year. IT Wasn't recommended. The inside fender lip is double layered and the tool didn't work as intended. Before you try it give Tom a phone call.
Roger

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Thanks for the input guys!

I thought you have a torque arm to control axle wrap. What would rip it out then?

Also without a panhard rod, watts linkage are something to keep body and axle centered I am thinking the lateral cornering forces trying to separate the body and axle horizontally are being concentrated in your rear spring front mounts. The front mount is famous for cracking in a normal stock setup. I hope you have them reinforced.

IMHO, getting Tom Hall's panhard rod relocation kit (or equivalent) and mounting the rod as low/close to the axle and parallel to the ground as possible is a much better approach than having none at all.

Gene

Torque arm does very nicely as I have 0 hop with wheels a spinin. Dale A told me to pull the panhard rod as it is not needed with his rear springs. I have never had any lateral movement tire rub even during autoX with the rear 205 13". The tire is rubbing only during hard acceleration when the rear end squats due to the torque arm. The panhard rips out due to being mounted incorrectly. The axle pulls on the rod and mount instead of compressing it. MKII fixed the issue. My mount on the body is unmolested.

Front spring mounting points have Tom's reinforcing kit installed.
002-11.jpg

Before welding. Sheet metal screws were removed and holes welded closed.

No wheels hop demo - http://youtu.be/liZy3H7A2Xk

Before you try it give Tom a phone call.
Roger

Will do! First need to check the tire to spring distance to make sure it is the same. That could be my issue right there.

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
MKII fixed the issue. My mount on the body is unmolested.

Will do!

IIRC many of the MKII's pulled the mount off the body as well. Might be a better mounting geometry, but be it not strong enough metal its attached to or just still not ideal location they apparently still crack :(