Book of Norman again

steven

Gold forum user
Notice another book on evilbay at the moment. Just wondering has anyone thought of approaching an owner (maybe the club ownes one) and seeing if the book can be copied to digital form. I, for one would put my hand up for a copy and if say it was $100 per copy, the owner would recoup outlay reasonbly quickly one would think.:D
Steven

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Norm has been approached many times but has chosen not to duplicate his book.

CAT has a copy in it's "library" which it lends out to members (who pay the shipping). Last time I checked there was a bit of a waiting list.

at the beach

steven

Gold forum user
Well, thats fine that the club has a copy. Thats what I was suggesting. For thos members that don't live in lovley California, it would be nice if there were funds provided to copy the item to disc so it could be sold, lent to members accross the other side of the planet. If copying was a problem, the club could contact the author and suggest the option of distribution to Tiger owners. The club already mentions the weight of the book prohibits postage. So my proposal has merrit to disseminate the information in the 21st century without being restricted by limited quantity and huge cost to purchase one.
Regards
Steven

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Steven,

I think they would be reluctant to have it put on disc as then it would be easily copied...infringement of copyright etc..

I know that the victorian club has a copy that we lend to members, perhaps speak to the QLD club and see if they have one in their library?

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
TBON....is it really that big a deal?? I know that half the book is a registry that is now way out of date. Other items in the book have been proven incorrect. I am on the CAT list to get the loaner.

The answer is for Norm to publish the second edition that has been in the works for 15 or so years now.

tiger260

Gold forum user
Norm Miller is in the driving seat on this one.

I can understand why he doesn't want to reprint the book considering the amount of trouble he had selling the original lot but it's a shame that such an important book isn't available to all Tiger owners and anyone else for that matter.

I would imagine that most owners like me see reading it as a sort of rite of passage and it is sad that it is out of reach of most people's wallets.

steven

Gold forum user
I have been sent a message that the author is a member of this forum and checks occaisionly. I agree, we are dedicated owners of a british/USA hybrid classic. Some of us live elsewhere on this planet however we are still passionet about keeping the cars alive. As a good friend said, what happens when we have to pass our wonderful cars onto our decendants. Will they sell them? will they pass them onto a museum?. If I believe the knowledge in this book helps with the appreciation of what went into the Tiger development and production then having access to that information will assist when, due to circumstances beyond our control, the car has to pass to another, knowledge gained from the book may assist in providing the future owner the value of their inheritance.

As far as the legal aspect of coping digitally.
The author could authorise a copying system for members only. They could sign a agreement that the use is for once only. There is protocols that mark a digital copy so it cannot be copied and also will destruct if tried on more than one computer (check microsoft).

Now I do not expect agreement by anyone at present. If I can get some interest in the points raised, it will be to the good.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
As far as the legal aspect of coping digitally.
The author could authorise a copying system for members only. They could sign a agreement that the use is for once only. There is protocols that mark a digital copy so it cannot be copied and also will destruct if tried on more than one computer (check microsoft).

Cue Mission Impossible theme song...:D

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
Just to throw my 2 cents in.

I would think that if Mr. Miller would agree to publish a 2nd printing of the BON it certainly would bring the scalpers price down on the books being sold now. He certainly doesn't see any of it why should someone else?

As someone else mentioned he could take the original material to an eBook publisher and the profit from each book would go to him and the book would be of a more reasonable cost to the rest of us and it would put more of his books out there for everyone. There could be a copy in every Sunbeam library.

Then a registry supplement could be published every year or 5 years or 10 or whenever he felt there was enough to bother with for a small price.

The same could be done with additional Tiger info as it becomes available.

The sooner done the better. There would be a lot fewer dedicated Tiger enthusiasts getting raked over the coals for the price of a book. I don't think his intentions ever were for others to profit from the book itself but just from its contents.

Justin

slypops

Gold forum user
I start to salivate when I read about a second edition; regardless, I feel truly blessed to have a gentleman that takes such an interest in our marque. I have received good news from him and literally couldn't sleep all night. When concerns arise , I am man enough to accept the news as good for the overall breed. Yep, I'm truly thankful.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
When I was Tiger hunting this last time it was nice to email him and get an answer promply. I would love to see an updated BON on the market since so many cars have changed hands and I am sure more info has surfaced. Just my .02 worth.

mtnindy

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
List of Tiger Dealers

Hi All, I just had an exchange with Norm Miller regarding a list of Dealers that carried the Tiger new. I was especially interested in California dealers for a research project. Norm was kind enough to inform me that such a list was included as an appendix in the BON. He then told me it was unavailable due to copyright.

Am I missing something? If he has the copyright, then I would think he could make available whatever portion of the book he wanted.

He concluded by admonishing me for "telling him what to do" after I offered to assist in producing an ebook should he wish to pursue that avenue.

He has always been very helpful with information, but the BON seems to be becoming an obsession. As others have stated, I don't think he published the book to make money, but desiminate the information. Limiting its distribution is doing nothing towards that effort.

Very frustrating.

Who in CAT do I talk to about getting on the waiting list for access to the club copy of the BON?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
While norm would have the IP for the book he may not have the copyright and hence would not be allowed to publish it again. Im not saying this is the case.. but is quite possible the publisher has the copyright.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
It is amazing the amount of DRAMA this subject brings to what is a very friendly even keeled community. I just don't get it. I cannot see Norm’s point of view or position on this subject.........it really perplexes me???????????????

I think there are secret CIA, FBI, NIS, DEA, DOD......messages in the book.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
What's Not To Like ?

Norm has been a gracious help to us all more often than not. I like the history, the people and the cars. Being able to thrash the little mongrel thru the gears now and then is a welcomed plus . . . . . .Duke, you forgot the MID.

tiger260

Gold forum user
Perhaps Norm doesn't want to piss off the people who in recent years have spent a small fortune on his book.
Imagine how you'd feel if a $50 BON repro became available a few months after spending $1000+ on the original.

I wonder if all those who have made an awful lot of money reselling BONs would like to give 10% of their profits to Norm as a payment for all his hard work?

For the record, if a new BON became available, I'd buy one.

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Who are all of these people buying and reselling the BON? I think they only change hands when a long time owner sells his car and throws the book in on the deal. I foolishly passed on buying one when they were first available for sale for around $75 (?) back in the day. I have looked for one for over 20 years at a decent price and ended up buying $2500 of parts from a former Tiger owner to get the BON he had. Still in the book jacket and I don't think it has ever been read. It is signed by Norman too. Thanks Norman!
Oh yeah-mine will never be for sale. Eric