Gasket between brake res and master cylinder?

Klaus and Cary

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Is there supposed to be a washer between the reservoir and MC? Or is there supposed to be one inside the reservoir under the stainless steel washer and t reservoir? Either way, what material should this be?
Thanks

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Is there supposed to be a washer between the reservoir and MC? Or is there supposed to be one inside the reservoir under the stainless steel washer and t reservoir? Either way, what material should this be?
Thanks
Mine has a copper crush washer.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Under the reservoir.. if you have a Tiger reservoir there is also an internal rubber seal. The Alpine reservoir doesn't have this. Although they look the same at first glance, they are very different parts! The current repro is based on the Alpine reservoir.

Klaus and Cary

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Under the reservoir.. if you have a Tiger reservoir there is also an internal rubber seal. The Alpine reservoir doesn't have this. Although they look the same at first glance, they are very different parts! The current repro is based on the Alpine reservoir.
It is a repro MC, but original reservoir. There is what appears to be a nut on the MC that may be rubber. I should have taken pictures when I had it apart but was grimy and not in the best of moods after fighting the wheel cylinder re-install. Wow is it different than a couple bolts and done on a typical American WC.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
It is a repro MC, but original reservoir. There is what appears to be a nut on the MC that may be rubber. I should have taken pictures when I had it apart but was grimy and not in the best of moods after fighting the wheel cylinder re-install. Wow is it different than a couple bolts and done on a typical American WC.
I have one, I'll dig it out and take some pics!

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
As promised, here's the pic of a tiger reservoir. the difference between the Tiger and Alpine is that the metal threaded port that inserts into the master is square cut on the Tiger. The alpine part has a male flare as it is threaded into a female union on a separate brake line between it and the master cylinder.

You can use an Alpine reservoir for the Tiger but it won't be possible to get it oriented centered with the master. The Tiger unit can be dismantled in place, accurately centered, and then reassembled. the metal connector is splined which locks the reservoir in place once the inner nut, washer and seal are compressed.

P5201960.JPG