Happy 50th Birthday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Dan secret

Thanks for the info, looks like I missed the 50th bday but it is interesting that February is also the month of my bday :)

Will need to celebrate this weekend...

Pssssssst

It's not 2015 yet. But have the cake anyway. :)

D

dgraway

Can't add/subtract!!

Pssssssst

It's not 2015 yet. But have the cake anyway. :)

Missed that completely! I still have time..... Will have to mark my calendar to have a frozen DQ cake next Feburary on the 50th bday :)

norm1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sunbeam Tiger 50th Anniversary

By: Jim Koscs

A Cobra for the rest of us.

Fifty years ago, America’s Sunbeam dealers wanted a more powerful version of the smartly styled Alpine roadster, a car that had achieved some onscreen fame as James Bond’s ride in the first film of the franchise, “Dr. No,” in 1962.

But even Bond’s image couldn’t make up for the Alpine’s lack of performance. The Alpine could barely muster zero-to-60 mph in under 14 seconds. Triumph kept making its TR series sports cars quicker, and a turbocharged Corvair was faster, too. The Corvette was of course in a different league.

A clandestine effort within the American arm of the Rootes Group, Sunbeam’s parent company, got the ball rolling to inject some mechanical testosterone into the little roadster. Who better than Carroll Shelby to turn up the heat under the Alpine’s hood? If it worked for the AC Ace, the Alpine seemed a natural, too.

Shelby’s operation concocted a prototype using a Ford 260 cubic-inch small block V-8, just as it had done to make the Cobra. The Ford V-8 was a tight fit in the Alpine’s engine compartment, but the transplant was a success. The car was duly shipped to Britain for blessings from the Rootes board. Head honcho Lord William Rootes was reportedly all smiles after a test drive.

A deal was made with Ford to supply the 260 V-8 and 4-speed transmission. Shelby, however, lost out on the final assembly deal to Britain’s Jensen, which had just ended its contract building the P1800 sports coupe for Volvo. Shelby, ever the dealmaker, received a royalty for each car sold.

But what to call the speedy new bullet? Sunbeam wanted “Thunderbolt,” but Ford had just applied it to a limited run of Fairlane drag race cars. So Sunbeam reached into its own past and came up with “Tiger.” That certainly fit the roaring sports car, too.

The first Tiger, the Series I, used the Ford 260 with a 2-barrel carburetor and dual exhausts, getting a 164-hp rating. The transplant chopped down the zero-to-60 time to eight seconds, with the quarter-mile in about 16. That was within the range of a base-engine Corvette, which was about 500 pounds heavier and $500 pricier than the $3,500 Tiger.

Many Americans got their first glimpse of the Tiger as Maxwell Smart’s wheels in the popular “Get Smart” TV series. Take that, 007.

Braking and handling could have been better, but with the U.S. as the Tiger’s prime market, customers were more focused on squeezing more juice from the easily and inexpensively modified Ford V-8. In stock form, the Ford 260 was rated at 258 lb.-ft. of torque, easily triple that of the Alpine’s four-banger.

Turning up the wick probably wasn’t the best thing for the chassis, but that didn't stop Sunbeam dealers from eventually offering customers a whole catalog of speed parts, including an Edelbrock 4-barrel carburetor “Super Induction Kit,” a solid-lifter cam kit, headers, 2-inch dual exhausts, traction bars and more. These were known as the LAT options, for “Los Angeles Tiger.” Few Tigers stayed stock for long.

Even more power was on the way. In 1967, Sunbeam offered the Mk. II Tiger with a 200-hp Ford 289. Rear track bars, an oil cooler and larger clutch came with the bigger-cube engine. And so did something totally weird — a Chrysler pentastar badge!

Chrysler, in one of its numerous failed international dalliances, had by 1967 acquired a controlling interest in Rootes Group. The company had no interest in buying engines from Ford. “Powered by Ford” badges were replaced by “Sunbeam V-8.” Chrysler Corporation’s fine 273-cube V-8 wouldn't fit in the Ford’s place, so that was the end of the Tiger.

And what did the Chrysler-Rootes hookup give America? If you remember the 1971-1973 Plymouth Cricket, try to forget it.

Just under 7,100 Tigers were built over four years, with 633 of those Mk. II models. Recently, values have been shooting upward, a fine 50th anniversary present for lucky owners.

Ask the Man Who Owns One

Many in the auto industry know Bob Austin for his years leading Volvo Communications. Today, he’s executive director for the Rolls-Royce Owners Club based in Pennsylvania and with 7,500 members in 50 countries. And he has a Tiger.

“My first personal experience with a Tiger came in 1967 when a beautiful British Racing Green example turned up on campus in January in Milton, Wis.,” said Austin. “It looked hot, it had a hardtop and for 90 percent of that winter, it was going sideways!”

Austin admired the way its owner, an art major, kept the car mostly parallel to the road’s center line in Wisconsin’s snow. “Not only did this look like great fun, but it sounded fantastic. I had to have one.”

It took 30 years, but Austin bought a California Tiger from automotive journalist and radio show host Len Frank, who passed away in 1996. “He was a wonderful friend and mentor,” said Austin.

The car was 100 percent dismantled and on the opposite coast.

“That was more than 15 years ago, and I still do not have it done,” said Austin. “But, when I do, I hope I can demonstrate some of those skills at making forward progress while going sideways that makes driving a Tiger so special.”

chirodoc

Gold forum user
50TH BIRTHDAYS

I MUST BE CLOSE FOR THE 50TH BIRTHDAY OF B947121 THE FIRST TIGER DELIVERED IN PEORIA ILL, I WAS THERE. LATER BOUGHT THE CAR IN 1977. PRESENTLY SITTING ON JACK STANDS AWAITING NEW ROCKER PANELS PAINT, AND BUILT HI PO 289

Last edited:

Doug C

Gold forum user
I MUST BE CLOSE FOR THE 50TH BIRTHDAY OF B947121 THE FIRST TIGER DELIVERED IN PEORIA ILL, I WAS THERE. LATER BOUGHT THE CAR IN 1977. PRESENTLY SITTING ON JACK STANDS AWAITING NEW ROCKER PANELS PAINT, AND BUILT HI PO 289

According to the BON 10/22/64 was it's bday

chirodoc

Gold forum user
TIGER BIRTHDAY

THANKS FOR LOOKING UP "TIGGERS" BIRTHDAY.
ILL. STATE DOT VEHICLE REGISTRATION MUST HAVE THOUGHT ZEROS DONT' COUNT.

TAH_Tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member

I sold my first Tiger in Peoria in 1973 and been looking for it. It was dark blue mk1 with black hardtop. Unfortunately I don't have the VIN. Anyone here purchase one around then?

chirodoc

Gold forum user
TIGER'S BIRTDAY

SORRY GUYS I CAN'T READ SMALL PRINT WITHOUT BIFOCALS WHICH ARE AT THE OFFICE. THE CORRECT VIN #B94712171

gyroplanes

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Hello ....... again

After a many year hiatus, I am back to my Tiger's restoration. I own serial number B382000257 and the title says 1965. I could tell the tale of my Tiger, but I think I have a car birthday coming up. I saw an earlier post for a car 16 numbers younger than mine.
I have a bunch of work to do and sub zero temperatures here. I did complete my engine work and believe I am ready to install it as the temps allow.
I do want to rebuild my master cylinders first and accomplish any other work my friends here suggest before I crowd the engine compartment.
I have a local mentor, Gene Padgett, who gave me a ride in his Tiger a few months ago. I meant to post my engine proving run on You Tube, but being old and anxious to send it to a cloud, I sent it to Facebook (under my name).

I found this picture somewhere and use it as my desk top as an inspiration. Anyone know the car or person? If I can make my Tiger look like this one I'll be a mighty happy guy.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
After a many year hiatus, I am back to my Tiger's restoration. I own serial number B382000257 and the title says 1965. I could tell the tale of my Tiger, but I think I have a car birthday coming up. I saw an earlier post for a car 16 numbers younger than mine.
I have a bunch of work to do and sub zero temperatures here. I did complete my engine work and believe I am ready to install it as the temps allow.
I do want to rebuild my master cylinders first and accomplish any other work my friends here suggest before I crowd the engine compartment.
I have a local mentor, Gene Padgett, who gave me a ride in his Tiger a few months ago. I meant to post my engine proving run on You Tube, but being old and anxious to send it to a cloud, I sent it to Facebook (under my name).

I found this picture somewhere and use it as my desk top as an inspiration. Anyone know the car or person? If I can make my Tiger look like this one I'll be a mighty happy guy.

Would you believe...??

That's me with my Tiger at the Tigers United XXXII in Santa Rosa 2010 ... been a few changes to it since then including a 'red-er' shade of red and my hair's a whiter shade of... lol ;)

My car, B382000446 was built on Sept. 24th 1965 and yours is probably a few weeks before that...

Glad to hear you're 'inspired' ...here's an updated pic... without the 'old' guy

gyroplanes

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Would you believe...??

That's me with my Tiger at the Tigers United XXXII in Santa Rosa 2010 ... been a few changes to it since then including a 'red-er' shade of red and my hair's a whiter shade of... lol ;)

My car, B382000446 was built on Sept. 24th 1965 and yours is probably a few weeks before that...

Glad to hear you're 'inspired' ...here's an updated pic... without the 'old' guy

Wow! Glad to hear from you. I love your tire & wheel treatment, I can't tell what they are (I cant see the black parts) But they sure look great to me. I'll buy a set tomorrow if they fit my stock, unflaired, wheel wells.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Wheels and tires came with the car...14" 3-piece Epsilons... never have found any spares with this bolt pattern. They were gold anodized when new but already black when I got the car...

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Hi Tom,

Just wanted to acknowledge your kind comment about any help I have been. I think just a "local resource" might have been more descriptive. I am always happy to contribute in anyway I can and look forward to getting together with you again later this month.

And great news on the search for those wheels I know you have had your heart set on for some time!

Gene

Status
Not open for further replies.