Kens Tiger - B9471532

Warren

Gold forum user
Had one

Sold it on eBay I do have a picture of it someplace but I'm away from that laptop till the end of the week. It looks a lot like that one that they sell on Moss motors that we talked about.
Keep up the great work I think this is the number one thread. On another topic were you able to do something with that Girling parts list that I sent you?

KenF

Gold forum user
It looks a lot like that one that they sell on Moss motors that we talked about.
Is this the one from Moss?
021-577_1.jpg

On another topic were you able to do something with that Girling parts list that I sent you?

I got the email, but never saw the PDF file attached.

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Original plate issues too

I went through a very similar (but a bit more COLORFUL story details) CA DMV exercise with the "Weekend Racer" S2 Alpine.

I also ended up with a YOM plate "deal", I think....

I JUST did a DMV Reg renewal (with the original plates, and no plate notes on the Reg) and the total cost was $130.

I think that is the least you can pay, based on the other vehicles I have renewed.

So, it LOOKS like there are no YOM charges on the renewal, as far as I can tell.

But I don't know any details about the YOM TAG (renewal year tag) situation.

I DID get a new TAG with the renewal.

I think/thought one of the requirements was to HAVE a YOM TAG ?

The Alpine is in a strange time as far as the TAG.

The YOM/origianl Reg, is 1963.

Because that was the first year for the Black plate, there was no year TAG, or so I have been told .

Anyone have more info on YOM?

DW

KenF

Gold forum user
I also ended up with a YOM plate "deal", I think....
I JUST did a DMV Reg renewal (with the original plates, and no plate notes on the Reg) and the total cost was $130.

I think that is the least you can pay, based on the other vehicles I have renewed.

So, it LOOKS like there are no YOM charges on the renewal, as far as I can tell.

But I don't know any details about the YOM TAG (renewal year tag) situation.

I DID get a new TAG with the renewal.

I just got the renewal for my Tiger since I told them I purchased it in September 2019, which started the clock for their annual CA DMV pilfering. For the YOM program there is an annual $10 "Special Plate Fee" after the initial $45 setup fee. If you don't see the $10 charge then it looks like your car was registered under just an old plate instead a YOM plate, congrats!

I think/thought one of the requirements was to HAVE a YOM TAG ?

The Alpine is in a strange time as far as the TAG.

The YOM/origianl Reg, is 1963.

Because that was the first year for the Black plate, there was no year TAG, or so I have been told .

Anyone have more info on YOM?

DW
You are right about 1963 vehicles not needing a year sticker for YOM plates. I could never understand why the DMV requires the year sticker for a YOM plate, which are always reproductions anyway. Most just want old plates, not an old year sticker, or using that weird metal corner tag thingy the DMV sends out for YOM plates.

KenF

Gold forum user
Exhaust Donut Gaskets

Replaced the fiber type exhaust donut gaskets that started failing already. If you run cast exhaust manifolds, use the solid soft metal alloy ones like the Fel-Pro 60985 or similar.

Has anyone ever tried ceramic coating their exhaust manifolds to help lower under hood temps? I heard that thermal wrap can crack manifolds, so that's out.

Attachments

• IMG_5916.JPG
    IMG_5916.JPG
    316.8 KB · Views: 75

Warren

Gold forum user
10 bucks

For the YOM special plate. It's on one car I currently have . The others has the original plates. I've paid $130 for a tiger $130 for a Honda CL305 and many other toy vehicles.. If you can totally find a good original set it beats paying 40 bucks extra a year for a personalized plate.

Per the sardine clamp I sent you the picture of the Moss catalog online.
The original one I sold because I thought I would never need it, oops..
I will locate this week. The do not seem to be a more than one use item but for those seeking originality I suppose you could glue the hose too.

I think guys have tried that pour in coating with decent results claimed.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Replaced the fiber type exhaust donut gaskets that started failing already. If you run cast exhaust manifolds, use the solid soft metal alloy ones like the Fel-Pro 60985 or similar.

Has anyone ever tried ceramic coating their exhaust manifolds to help lower under hood temps? I heard that thermal wrap can crack manifolds, so that's out.

A lot of us with headers have them ceramic coated... It does make a difference to underbonnet temps, can help with the scavenge by retaining the heat in the header and of course helps keep them lasting longer and looking better.

Your car would have the original cast headers? A few guys have them coated in a darkish grey so look clean fresh cast and stock.

You should ise them shortly after coating to heat cycle them to help cure for longevity.

Also....not all cermic coatings are created equal.. The better ones hold in more heat and also last longer.

KenF

Gold forum user
Here are a couple of pics of original servo hose and clamps you can see I opened one up carefully
Thanks, Bryan happen to have a used one in his stash of stuff that I was able salvage and install:

IMG_6247 2.JPG

While I'm here in this old thread, here's a few things I've done since my last post.

Had the brake booster chromed and rebuilt it:
IMG_5463.JPG

Took apart the steering wheel and glued it back together:
IMG_6492 3.JPG

Wrapped the mufflers to cut the heat going to the fuel pump a bit:
IMG_6330 2.JPG

Finally replaced the windshield rubber, and didn't even break the glass, luckily:
IMG_6989 2.JPG

The speedometer needle started jumping around like crazy, so I sent both the speedo and tach to Ni$onger for repair. Tach now works with the Pertronix ignitor. Odometer now reads 91,106 miles, so it looks like I've been driving the wee wee out of it for the past couple years (5,000 miles). If I also didn't have a 240Z, I'd probably have double that on the Tiger. They're both a blast to drive, but the Tiger is the funnest.
IMG_7026.JPG