Stock pieces

Warren

Gold forum user
Rough quarter sawn Mahogany battery securing pieces . One per car 3 countersunk screw holes.

Also some floor plate or trunk hole plate. Somebody with spare time on their hands oughta make some of these up.

Certainly don't have the parts manual handy to see what the actual name is for these things someone had called me and asked me if I had some of these for sale.
Been cleaning up so I thought I would post a picture of them. Plus I've seen some made out of other hardwoods not a cheap hardwood of the day like Mahogany.

PXL_20210709_164356023.jpg

PXL_20210709_164325361.jpg

PXL_20210709_164236800.jpg

PXL_20210709_164155099.jpg

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have not yet seen the side spacer made of what looks to me like mahogany. What I've seen normally looks to me like oak. It probably isn't since
the Rootes Archive in the UK has drawings that spec the side piece as being made out of "Beech", whatever English Beech is. Just because an engineer spec'ed "Beech" doesn't mean that somebody didn't switch materials later on. But if that change did occur, its documentation didn't.
Buck

2231040.jpg

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The tired and wounded ones I replace with red cedar because it survives well in our Nor'East climate. White oak, being a small round cell fiber would also last well. Red oak would not do well near the battery fer sure.

Warren

Gold forum user
Yes same pieces of the wood. These were from two parted out cars. It could be red oak but I doubt it red cedar seems more likely Randy as it's pretty soft. The Birch was likely the false floor plywood and possibly the under battery piece. I've collected others but only kept the best two. None of them appear or look to be stained as the chipped areas would reveal. I'd suspect they were not picky on what they used for the piece. I only represent that these came from middle of the run MK1As . Sure I'd like to see other's.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Yes same pieces of the wood. These were from two parted out cars. It could be red oak but I doubt it red cedar seems more likely Randy as it's pretty soft. The Birch was likely the false floor plywood and possibly the under battery piece. I've collected others but only kept the best two. None of them appear or look to be stained as the chipped areas would reveal. I'd suspect they were not picky on what they used for the piece. I only represent that these came from middle of the run MK1As . Sure I'd like to see other's.
I gain a lot of knowledge going through the older threads, only today I was wondering what the 2 screws in the inside wheel well near the battery were to hold Now I know ! Posted are 2 pics one of the 2 screws near the battery and 2 pieces of 1/4 ply birch maybe but not sure if they were parts for the battery box ? 12x6 7/8 and 11.6 x 6 7/8 both 1/4 thick I have some mesquite rough sawn on one side that I will make up a new piece for the screws on the wheel well Any input for the use of the birch ply ? Thanks

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I gain a lot of knowledge going through the older threads, only today I was wondering what the 2 screws in the inside wheel well near the battery were to hold Now I know ! Posted are 2 pics one of the 2 screws near the battery and 2 pieces of 1/4 ply birch maybe but not sure if they were parts for the battery box ? 12x6 7/8 and 11.6 x 6 7/8 both 1/4 thick I have some mesquite rough sawn on one side that I will make up a new piece for the screws on the wheel well Any input for the use of the birch ply ? Thanks

ACA51E3A-67CD-40AB-B674-80AF05BC47B7.png

E673024B-475F-496C-8F71-497D0F121276.jpeg

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Also wondering why there is mostly primer in the trunk and very little top coat , is this an effect of the battery fumes or was the trunk never top coated

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Piece made. All edges milled because being a tool and die maker I can’t leave any surface rough 😊

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi Tony!

The Tiger did not have a wooden battery box. There were strips of wood used on the floor and on the side of the battery. The battery used a white plastic tray, on which the battery sat.

The interior steel of the trunk are was finished where it could be seen, including the floor (under the spare wheel). You are right - many of the cars had a lot of corrosion take place due to battery acid and fumes, before the maintenance-free batteries were widely used. The original batteries had vent connections coming off each battery cap, manifolded together to a hose that goes through a hole outside of the trunk. The Mk II had a single plastic piece (instead of individual caps) with the manifolding built in.

David

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Piece made. All edges milled because being a tool and die maker I can’t leave any surface rough 😊View attachment 14120
Hi Tony!

The Tiger did not have a wooden battery box. There were strips of wood used on the floor and on the side of the battery. The battery used a white plastic tray, on which the battery sat.

The interior steel of the trunk are was finished where it could be seen, including the floor (under the spare wheel). You are right - many of the cars had a lot of corrosion take place due to battery acid and fumes, before the maintenance-free batteries were widely used. The original batteries had vent connections coming off each battery cap, manifolded together to a hose that goes through a hole outside of the trunk. The Mk II had a single plastic piece (instead of individual caps) with the manifolding built in.

David
thanks for passing on the information
Tony

513134ED-B963-4DEC-A6BA-ADD4CD5E4CB6.jpeg

Warren

Gold forum user
The purpose of the wooden blocks is to shim the battery in the gap between the plastic of the battery and the steel of the sidewall when the J bolts are tightened down. Seen some slivers of wood under the plastic tray but not sure if they were originally placed there.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
In case anyone wants to replace theirs, here is the drawing for the piece of wood placed under the battery tray.

Battery Packer.jpg

Warren

Gold forum user
This is a big topic on the email list with also focus on the piece of plywood that lived under the battery tray.

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
From what I have heard from original pieces and UK wood in the day, Baltic Birch plywood was used under the tray and “Beech” was used and fastened to the side of the frame. Others have stated that they had found wood like mahogany and oak in this application. Again was it what they had on hand and just cut to size and installed?